Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do Argonians hear through these holes?

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
VRcoJIe.png

While waiting for a Pledge queue I was starting at my Argonian's head while listening to the Bard and started wondering, "How do Argonians hear?" There's no obvious ears on their heads, then when I zoomed in to examine the model more closely I noticed these two dark dots on the side underneath the cheek bone. They look like holes, and since they were the only holes on the head besides the nose, I figured, are those an Argonian's "ears"? Is that how they receive sounds?
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic.

Yeah I have no idea, but I don't think those would be hearing holes (I could be wrong), I think their actual ears are not included in the models.

From UESP
    Although Argonians appear reptilian in nature at first glance, they also exhibit qualities of fish, amphibians, and even birds: they are able to breathe underwater through small gills behind their ears, swim using the same method as that of a tadpole or eel by moving their tail side-to-side to propel through the water, and are capable of growing feathers.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah they seem to be excluded in the model, we have ears and the gills are behind those.
  • Strychnos
    Strychnos
    ✭✭✭
    In past games at least, Argonians seem to lack external ears and instead have an opening with a tympanic membrane inside (just like reptiles from earth). This can look different depending on the reptile.

On Argonians from Oblivion, the ear seems to be the oval spot just behind the eye:
    latest?cb=20120310184408

And in Skyrim the ear appears to be the circular structure above the lower jaw:
    BbzBjo6.jpg

Here's the ear structure of some different reptiles for reference:
    reptile-ears-photos.jpg

And a comparison of an anole lizard with and without an ear hole:
    7v7sbyvk6lih.png

For some reason a visible ear spot seems to be absent on the ESO Argonian model, and gills are almost ALWAYS omitted from an Argonian's texture. Maybe this means that they breathe water through magical means, or that their gills are tucked underneath the jaw or inside the mouth.

Regardless, the lack of ears on Argonians in ESO is probably a mistake on the designers part judging by there presence on Argonians in older games.

lvl50 Characters:
    Toxlexel (Argonian Templar PvE Healer, EP)
    Grove-of-Trees-Swaying (Argonian Vampire NB PvE Tank, EP)
    Kazabi-daro (Khajiit DK PvE DPS, AD)- build under renovation
    Iroas Candaalil (Maormer [Dunmer] PvE Sorc DPS, EP, vMA build)- build under renovation
    Trick-of-the-Light(Argonian Warden PvE Healer, EP)
    Characters being leveled:
    Meera-Ei (Argonian DK PvP Tank, EP, Grove's sister)
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, on Morrowind it said Argonians used to have lungs that could breath water and air.That's what I remember reading at least, now they changed it to gills that are on the neck but hidden under the scales.
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard snakes hear through their tongue, maybe argonians do...
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen
  • Strychnos
    Strychnos
    ✭✭✭
    Tucker3711 wrote: »

Snakes can't "hear" the same way we do, since they've lost external ears like many lizards have over the course of their evolution.

They still have some remnants of an ear structure inside their skulls, which seem to let them perceive low pitched sounds (at least, in ball pythons). However, it appears that most of a snake's ability to "hear" is through detecting vibrations along the lengths of their bodies.

So if Argonians hear like snakes do, they'd have to lay down on the ground to do it :-)
    lvl50 Characters:
    Toxlexel (Argonian Templar PvE Healer, EP)
    Grove-of-Trees-Swaying (Argonian Vampire NB PvE Tank, EP)
    Kazabi-daro (Khajiit DK PvE DPS, AD)- build under renovation
    Iroas Candaalil (Maormer [Dunmer] PvE Sorc DPS, EP, vMA build)- build under renovation
    Trick-of-the-Light(Argonian Warden PvE Healer, EP)
    Characters being leveled:
    Meera-Ei (Argonian DK PvP Tank, EP, Grove's sister)
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    Strychnos wrote: »
    Tucker3711 wrote: »

Snakes can't "hear" the same way we do, since they've lost external ears like many lizards have over the course of their evolution.

They still have some remnants of an ear structure inside their skulls, which seem to let them perceive low pitched sounds (at least, in ball pythons). However, it appears that most of a snake's ability to "hear" is through detecting vibrations along the lengths of their bodies.

So if Argonians hear like snakes do, they'd have to lay down on the ground to do it :-)

@Strychnos That needs to be a thing! I kind of want to be walking along and find a argonian laying on the ground.
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen