The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

About Nocturnal's model...

• ZOS_Mika
    ZOS_Mika
    admin
    We have removed a few non-constructive comments. Please keep the discussion civil. Thanks for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Summerset model takes a lot from the Daggerfall/Oblivion appearance.
    But as both the Summerset model and the crate statue were both approved, then I feel it's apparent that Bethesda backs the notion that Daedric Princes do not have a 'default' physical form. Nocturnal technically doesn't even have a default gender.

The statue merely overemphasizes the feminine aspect. But Nocturnal itself would not be concerned with the aesthetic standards of mortals. Particularly during the unplanned intervention seen in the Chapter.

8waCIIa.jpg
    signing off
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    The Summerset model takes a lot from the Daggerfall/Oblivion appearance.
    But as both the Summerset model and the crate statue were both approved, then I feel it's apparent that Bethesda backs the notion that Daedric Princes do not have a 'default' physical form. Nocturnal technically doesn't even have a default gender.

The statue merely overemphasizes the feminine aspect. But Nocturnal itself would not be concerned with the aesthetic standards of mortals. Particularly during the unplanned intervention seen in the Chapter.

8waCIIa.jpg

In most Lore sources about Nocturnal she shows as female by default, but as Daedric Prince she can be above of such bounds and assume any form by the wish.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    I’m ignoring all the posters who insist she must have pale skin to be a “better” representation.

My problem is that she isn’t UNIQUE.
    A unique character model.
    How many other characters are using the Velidreth model?
    How many other characters are using the Thorvokun model?
    How many other characters are using the Hircine model?

Unique. One of a kind. How is that hard to grasp for the dissenters in this thread?

The people who are whining about her being "tanned" have made me not care at all about this issue.

I honestly just wish they gave her a nicer looking dress. Nocturnal usually looks fairly human in her depictions so I don't have a problem with her not looking monstrous like Molag Bal.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 18, 2018 1:52AM
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, Nocturnal has always been more of a "creepy" looking Daedric Prince. So I feel that ESO's (and Skyrim's) depiction of her is lacking, especially in comparison to Mephala and the other Daedric Princes. There's just not a "uniqueness" to her.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Her statue is amazing.

Her model in the quest? Not so much, especially since she's supposed to be the main antagonist or somesuch. It's just a serious letdown, that I truly wish they would go back and remediate. They won't, because they have some blanket rule about not going back and addressing old assets even if they need addressing, but I really wish they would.

Explain orc and redguard armor they went back and did that
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"This “no change” policy has been in effect since the Redguard Female Armor Debacle of 2015."
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5430473#Comment_5430473
    signing off
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cheap cosplayer.
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    max_only wrote: »
    I’m ignoring all the posters who insist she must have pale skin to be a “better” representation.

My problem is that she isn’t UNIQUE.
    A unique character model.
    How many other characters are using the Velidreth model?
    How many other characters are using the Thorvokun model?
    How many other characters are using the Hircine model?

Unique. One of a kind. How is that hard to grasp for the dissenters in this thread?

The people who are whining about her being "tanned" have made me not care at all about this issue.

I honestly just wish they gave her a nicer looking dress. Nocturnal usually looks fairly human in her depictions so I don't have a problem with her not looking monstrous like Molag Bal.

Honestly who cares about the her being tanned or pale. Just make the character model nicer in some way. Give her hair, give her completely black skin, give her tattoos all over her body that shine purple-ish black. Just give her something that doesn't make her look like a regular npc/pc grew some height.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't impressed with her graphic either. The other princes were noticeably more detailed and cool looking, which is weird considering she was the main antagonist.
  • Rukia541
    Rukia541
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang that is a pretty disgusting model lol
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nocturnal looks a poor cosplay attempt
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They also need to explain why she's bald.

That was great
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"This “no change” policy has been in effect since the Redguard Female Armor Debacle of 2015."
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5430473#Comment_5430473

Nocturnal isn't a motif though. She's an NPC. Nobody would care if her model was changed because it doesn't affect their character.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 19, 2018 1:45AM
  • Slack
    Slack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well they couldn't make it like the statue, because you know, too much leg and underboob
    PC EU
    Betty Breeze - Magwarden
    Hunts S'hitblades - Stamplar
    Aschavi - Magplar
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nocturnal isn't a motif though. She's an NPC. Nobody would care if her model was changed because it doesn't affect their character.

To be fair, there is a version of her costume that was sold to players. Though, honestly, the biggest issue with Nocturnal is simply a texture resolution issue. She gets blown up all over the place at the end of the questline, and here model and textures were not designed to scale that large on the screen.

Ultimately, this isn't even a, "she looks cheap," problem, it's that her textures are too low res for the way she was used.

I think it could be solved with a new texture pass for when she's covering the screen, and that'd fix it.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shraar wrote: »
    I recently finished that quest and while she doesn't really compare to Mephala's unique model, I saw nothing wrong with her model. She's even wearing the same dress she did in Skyrim, which I liked. What was the problem?

People grew expectations that fell short hard. Molag Bal has a unique model, Mephala has a unique model, Vile has a unique model. Nocturnal ended up being a standard Redguard Female wearing the very Costume released in the Crown Store. I'm not complaining much but I do understand where people are coming from.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Shraar wrote: »
    I recently finished that quest and while she doesn't really compare to Mephala's unique model, I saw nothing wrong with her model. She's even wearing the same dress she did in Skyrim, which I liked. What was the problem?

People grew expectations that fell short hard. Molag Bal has a unique model, Mephala has a unique model, Vile has a unique model. Nocturnal ended up being a standard Redguard Female wearing the very Costume released in the Crown Store. I'm not complaining much but I do understand where people are coming from.

You summed up the issue well. Any player could customize a character that looks fancier/better/more like a Deity than the finished product.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Flynch
    Flynch
    ✭✭✭✭
    The pics remind me of an amateur 2004 Poser model. But that may just be down to the lighting in them tbf.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flynch wrote: »
    The pics remind me of an amateur 2004 Poser model. But that may just be down to the lighting in them tbf.

agreed
  • NetViperX
    NetViperX
    ✭✭✭✭
    They could have at least given her the gray skin like her shrikes have so she doesn't just look like a character any player could make.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ncoturnal is depicted in an accurate lore way.

"In a different vein, one of the best known of the Daedra Princes is named Nocturnal, who is often portrayed as
    a beautiful dark woman holding two black crows."

https://www.imperial-library.info/content/ghraewaj-and-harpies

And I'm glad that she looks just this way. Daedra are all about change, so they all should be different. Some look like fantastic creatures, other just like a girl from Sentinel.
    Edited by myskyrim26 on October 27, 2018 11:16AM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ^
    TES II: Daggerfall depicts her with decidedly caucasian skin. Mind you, that game was every daedric prince's first appearance, so it kinda set the rules.
    The "dark" was likely a reference to her dark dress (it's grey, btw, not blue) and her long, black hair.
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that a AAA operation would leave such an amateurish stain on an otherwise high quality release. It sticks out like a pixelated mustache on a gift shop print of the Mona Lisa.

The no changes after release policy just makes their own work look terrible. It's a bizarre thing to do in a game that receives constant updates. How about a no nerfs after nerfmire policy as well?
    forever stuck in combat
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lyserus wrote: »
    I know ZOS has this “no model change after publish” policy, but here is the thing...
    Actually, I know they're willing to change what an NPC wears, because the Daedric Cultists on Vvardenfell were wearing Ebony motif at launch, but now wear Worm Cult.

So, asking for Nocturnal to get unique visuals isn't an impossible sell. It simply seems unlikely.

They most definitely HAVE changed the appearance of unique, story-centric NPCs in the past.

Here's a comparison of Divayth Fyr, before and after the launch of Clockwork City (update 16), taken from the exact same location, the Halls of Fabrication entryway.

600px-ON-npc-Divayth_Fyr.jpgQfk1E7E.png
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    myskyrim26 wrote: »
    Ncoturnal is depicted in an accurate lore way.

"In a different vein, one of the best known of the Daedra Princes is named Nocturnal, who is often portrayed as
    a beautiful dark woman holding two black crows."

https://www.imperial-library.info/content/ghraewaj-and-harpies

And I'm glad that she looks just this way. Daedra are all about change, so they all should be different. Some look like fantastic creatures, other just like a girl from Sentinel.

Except A. She's not beautiful, and B. She's not holding two black crows.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could admire her inner beauty instead of being so superficial.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    its lazy and she just looks like a human, not unique at all. i also don't really feel like the voice suits the character i know.

when i first saw her my reaction was:

"why tf is she just a big redguard?"
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe they used the Redguard race for Nocturnal during the quest opposed to giving her a custom race with an entirely new mesh. Honestly, I think they should've gave her a unique race and model like they did with Clavicus Vile or Mephala. Her animations also appeared rather stiff compared to the other animations in the expansion...Her animations generally weren't loose or fluid, like that awesome Factotum crossbow-pin and ninja-attack I love so much.
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »
    I believe they used the Redguard race for Nocturnal during the quest opposed to giving her a custom race with an entirely new mesh. Honestly, I think they should've gave her a unique race and model like they did with Clavicus Vile or Mephala. Her animations also appeared rather stiff compared to the other animations in the expansion...Her animations generally weren't loose or fluid, like that awesome Factotum crossbow-pin and ninja-attack I love so much.

She has an awkward tpose in some scenes.
This discussion has been closed.