Hello, here I'm posting some self-translations of stories I wrote some time ago on french forums, about my characters and guild backgrounds. The release of Warden class, and Summerset shortly, reminded me how they seemed to fit actual canon somehow. I can't wait for knowing how it's the case with new ESO:Summerset lore haha
I'll link the source text for each one. I don't know if it's correct english, I hope so, but let me know grammatical errors ^^ ... Meanwhile, let's say they are translation errors from Old Altmeris
About perception of Mundus
by Celestras the Lost
My dear son,
The reality, as you believe that you perceive it, is nothing but smoke and mirrors. These illusions are our common living conditions, thus we share them, but they appear to be individual and separate indeed.
From this common illusion, our sense of working for common good arises ; but from this inherent separation, hatred and wars strem. Blessed are the beings of Nature, who still know how to fight for enduring merely, for we civilized beings have doomed ourselves to fight for our illusions.
Whoever sees his most valuable illusions to be questioned, threatened by experience of the world or by rival illusions, will be ready for killing, and even being killed for them.
It is upon you to chose carefully what illusions will guide your path. Make them beautiful and harmonic, and your way will be an enchantment. Chose them bleak and afflicted, and you'll walk amongst the hidden horrors of the celestial archway.
What kind of truth does remain to us, my son ?
The synthesis of all former illusions, probably, would display the prime truth to our view.
Yes, I want to believe – the New Mer will be revealed soon. But this path, I must perfect it before sharing my certainties.
At most, these notes will guide you to my tracks, so that you will be able to pursue this quest and be ready if it turns out I have failed.
Remember this rainbow that you chased so far, as a child, before you were able to understand its true nature, a moving entity born as an illusion of Magnus. Far from being reprehensible, this vagrancy was the start point of the path that led you to truth.
Be proud of your heritage, son of the Skyfrost Kinship, be proud of the illusions we bequeath to you, but feel free to prefer new ones, more relevant ones, and keep full awareness about their true nature.The responses are in the observation of the triskelion.
Testament of Celestras
The Skyfrost Manor
2E581, Skyfrost Estates, somewhere in Summerset...
a tale about the League of Eton Nir
It was still a bit chilly, this early morning, while the sun was immersing the valley incrementally, in the pristine blue of the sky. From the upper spire of the estate, one could hear the singing birds in the ornamental groves and the flower plantations all around. Other ones were flying near the shimmering buildings. A bee-eater just landed on the edge of the belevedere.
Surprised by the twittering of the bird, Ajaxandriel lifted his head up out the pile of scrolls laying on the white coral pavement. Some astrological computations forsaw that a decisive event should occur this day, so he was looking for responses in the texts.
His father had gone many monthes ago, without the slightest piece of news. So he started to review the amount of letters his father had left. Undertaking such a reading engendered some disappointment to him.Too much questions, still nothing tangible.
With a sharp flapping, the bee-eater had flown away. The High Elf turned against the railing and looked around over the landscape, as he was feeling a gentle breeze on his face.
"So, Father, do you think, this home is nothing but an illusion too...
By having had too much contacts with the Mystics, perhaps the "great" Celestras had sank into madness. Who did know? Perhaps, there were nothing to understand from his disappearance. Perhaps, if everything was an illusion, its nonsense was its own explanation. He sighed...
His gaze spotted the visitors' pathway, a geometric ripple of sand winding through the gardens.
And a visitor, as it were, was coming and disrupting the scenery. Still in his thoughts, the High Elf squinted and watched the approaching intruder.
"...an illusion which, as such, would be... doomed to disappear ?...
The entrant remotely manifested himself by a sun radiance that Ajaxandriel convinced himself to decipher. Facing the breeze in the upper tower, he slowly spread his arms out and, slowly again, he whispered some verses to a Kinship tune.
The air - atmospheric air - thickened and began to sprinkle tiny ice crystals that sparkled at daylight between the columns of the small belvedere, creating a cloudy trail that flowed after the breeze, a wind-drifted small cloud of pristine white.
Then the entrant continued walking, with a certain poise, and was nearing the structures.
After a second sigh, Ajaxandriel decided to go downstairs and meet the aristocrate who had that bad idea to honour him with a visit.
Telernil, prince of Sunwaltz
"Prince Telernil, how glad to entertain you. Come, let's enter. Speak about the winds that bring you here...
After long minutes of curtseys and courtesies, some trivialities and fashionable anecdotes, Telernil dared a more political topic, the probable purpose of his coming.
"Your father would have surely forsaken the disastrous turn taken by the current high reign, and that... 'Aldmeri Dominion'. Such a far-fetched entreprise... more importantly, a dangerous one.
- My father used to support such a project personally yet.
- Indeed, and the Dominion turned out to be far from his ideas. It is after this acknowledgement, that he decided to leave. To leave the Thalmor...
- I must confess I'm interested in these reasons. But please continue...
- Well, you don't ignore your House and Cloudrest ones are traditionally near, so to speak...
- Well, yea...
- Your father was, for instance, a prominent member of the league of Eton Nir.
- The league of Eton Nir ?
- Yes. You know, a mere party of people from the good society who shared a same interest in our civilisation. Nothing quite formal.
- I see... After all, he was interested in all the civilisations.
- Of course he was. It is still relevant to remind the reasons of the primacy of our civilisation thanks to comparative knowledge. But concerning the matter of today... I suppose you have your own view on the Aldmeri Dominion, right ?
After a moment of hesitation to go into such a discussion, Ajaxandriel agreed to give his opinion.
"What concerns me, regarding this alliance, is this sudden lust for conquests and global domination. Admittedly we are the more capable, but facing the disturbing esoteric issues reported from Cyrodiil, far more careful calculations are needed. One does not simply 'seize' the ruins of the Empire. I hope that the Queen is well advised, because the aftermath may be full of setbacks.
Moreover, what will become of Alinor if we establish a new Empire ? A new bait, a new target for the appetite of Molag Bal - here is the prospect for all the reckless who covet the power.
No, selling off our intellectual dominance for vain and hazardous imperialism, this is so regrettable.
- I'm pleased to hear we are on the same lines. It's the twisting of all our legacy, the death of our values, in a word, the predictable collapse of our civilisation. Don't you think that some measures should be taken to stop our loss ? Drastic - measures...
- Measures ? Against who ?
- Well, against the Heterodox one.
Now it was clear. Telernil and his ultra-conservative allies of the Eton Nir party did plan some kind of scheme against Queen Ayrenn.
"You would like to prevent her from harming our civilisation more, do I understand well ?
- Absolutely. Absolutely. A more appropriate sovereign must replace her as soon as possible. Unfortunately, the Heterodox does not seem inclined to abdicate willingly.
To these words, Ajaxandriel grinned to cover his uneasiness.
"Indeed, why would she do...
Telernil nodded and continued.
"That is why we have determined, with some houses of Auridon - those that are at the forefront as you know – a new 'Heritance'. Many former Eton Nir have joined up our party, and many more influential persons too. Believe me, things are going to move on. I could arrange an interview with our main Kinlady, in Skywatch, if you make the vow. Your talent would be utmost valued.
"What you are talking about... It is civil war... !
- Not if the power of the Heterodox is neutralised sharply and cleanly. Her supporters will just have to go and live among their savage friends, in continental forests, where they'll be fine ! And we - we will have preserved the pristineness of Alinor.
The heir of Skyfrost stood up, followed by the visitor.
"I'm afraid I must decline your invitation... Certainly I want my Estate to remain out of this Aldmeri Dominion, but I can't commit to what you suggest. 'Your' Kinlady... Is she her, who led you in all that ? Prince Telernil... You are valuable person... Don't let your hands soiled in such intrigues. Do you really believe that... what could be avoided by toppling the Dominion should be worth ...the crimes and sacrifices to reach it ?
- But, if I follow your reasoning, you'd rather sit off waiting snugly, watching our countries crumbling like anywhere else ?
- I'm not saying that... But Ayrenn and this Kinlady are the two faces of a same 'coin'. Whether one replaces the other or not, things won't change in fact... Think about it...
- And about this 'coin', so to speak ? You - Are you expecting to be able to cleverly keep yourself in balance onto its edge ?
Telernil told these words giggling. He had quick repartee and his speech skills were established, which explained his recruitment in this plot by the power of Skywatch.
Indeed neutrality was not easily sustainable. Ajaxandriel replied to the mischievous smile of Telernil by another grin.
"Precisely, Prince Telernil, precisely. It is solely on its edge, that a coin can be rolling forward.