Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Provisioning question

lukastef
lukastef
✭✭
So in every magicka build everybody recommends using witchmother, why is that since I also have long fin pasty melon sauce ( I think that is its name) and it gives you more health more magicka and it gives you stamina and its not expensive
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For magicka regen. This became a thing after sustain was hammered hard with the Morrowind update.

Edit: but your correct that the blue food gives more max stats. If you don’t need the regen then use the blue though top builds do not have regen on jewelry or set bonus except healers.
    Edited by idk on September 20, 2018 4:34PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @idk is right.

Whether you need food or drink depends on your build and role ... and whether you already have built enough sustain before provisioning supplements are added.
  • lukastef
    lukastef
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    For magicka regen. This became a thing after sustain was hammered hard with the Morrowind update.

Edit: but your correct that the blue food gives more max stats. If you don’t need the regen then use the blue though top builds do not have regen on jewelry or set bonus except healers.

That melon pasty food is purple not blue
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    The more stats a food effects, the lower the effect on each stat. You might want to use a blue over a purple because the two blue buffs will give you larger buffs to the traits it's buffing and depending on your build you might not care about buffing everything. A good example is that if you are near max rank you might not care about getting a health buff in a NM dungeon, so you might want peeled eyeballs over witchmothers because you will get slightly larger buffs to magicka and magicka regen from the eyeballs than from the witchmothers at the price of no HP bump.

To answer your original question, longfin gives you max health, max stam, and max magicka where witchmothers gives you max health, max magicka, and magicka regen. On a magicka build that magicka regen is going to be more important than having an increase to max stamina (at least for most people). That's why people say witchmoters over longfin.

Witchmothers max magicka and health should be the same amount as the longfin, though. Witchmothers scales based on your level where longfin is a set level. They would only appear different if you were looking at the witchmothers while at a lower level than 160.
    Starfire Protocol lvl 50 NB Redmage healer - Main + Master Crafter
    Gives Good Heed lvl 50 Warden Super Buff Healer
    Crafty Smyth lvl 50 Stamblade Poison Assassin - Farmer
    Everyon's Pal Adin lvl 44 Templar Splash Healer
    Stands Against Danger lvl 16 DK Tank -ex mule
    Matriarch Tamer lvl 18 Baby Sorc Healer
  • lukastef
    lukastef
    ✭✭
    db0ssman wrote: »
    The more stats a food effects, the lower the effect on each stat. You might want to use a blue over a purple because the two blue buffs will give you larger buffs to the traits it's buffing and depending on your build you might not care about buffing everything. A good example is that if you are near max rank you might not care about getting a health buff in a NM dungeon, so you might want peeled eyeballs over witchmothers because you will get slightly larger buffs to magicka and magicka regen from the eyeballs than from the witchmothers at the price of no HP bump.

To answer your original question, longfin gives you max health, max stam, and max magicka where witchmothers gives you max health, max magicka, and magicka regen. On a magicka build that magicka regen is going to be more important than having an increase to max stamina (at least for most people). That's why people say witchmoters over longfin.

Witchmothers max magicka and health should be the same amount as the longfin, though. Witchmothers scales based on your level where longfin is a set level. They would only appear different if you were looking at the witchmothers while at a lower level than 160.

Thats the thing, longfin actually gives you more health and more magicka than witchmother, only it doesnt give you regen
  • srmalloy
    srmalloy
    Whether you need food or drink depends on your build and role ... and whether you already have built enough sustain before provisioning supplements are added.

This raises a question I haven't been able to model well enough to answer myself. For what type of fights do '[stat] Recovery' food/drink give you a bigger benefit than 'Max [stat]' food/drink? So far (and nowhere near level cap, so I don't know if/when the characteristics change), it seems that in an extended fight (the abyssal geysers on Summerset, for example), having a stat-max consumable running makes me more survivable than when I have a stat-recovery consumable active.
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    It kind of depends on the content you want to run. For example, in most game content I run peeled eyeballs that give max magicka and magicka regen (on my main healer). This is because adding max to other stuff would diminish the effects of the food, and magicka is the most important stat for me. Most of my actual gear is for crit and spell damage, and so I use the regen to help me be able to both attack and heal more constantly than if I was only using the max food.

Now, in harder content where survivablity becomes an issue, I use max health and max magicka. The main reason is that I probably switched from trying to both damage and heal to strictly healing and cycling heavy attacks with a resto both give back a ton of magicka, provide 2 free heals, and give major mending which increases my healing. In that case sustain isn't much of an issue, but survival becomes the limiting factor (a dead healer can not heal).

You have to make certain decisions like that when deciding if you want more max or sustain.
    Starfire Protocol lvl 50 NB Redmage healer - Main + Master Crafter
    Gives Good Heed lvl 50 Warden Super Buff Healer
    Crafty Smyth lvl 50 Stamblade Poison Assassin - Farmer
    Everyon's Pal Adin lvl 44 Templar Splash Healer
    Stands Against Danger lvl 16 DK Tank -ex mule
    Matriarch Tamer lvl 18 Baby Sorc Healer
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a trading perspective, Longfin pasty and Witchmother's Potent sell better than most, along with Dubious Camoran. Other posters here can explain why. Especially about why Orzorga's bear haunch doesn't sell.

Whatever I use personally relates to stamina regeneration.
    The fact that I don't understand these is reflected by my ***TOP*** performance in combat.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    lukastef wrote: »
    db0ssman wrote: »

Thats the thing, longfin actually gives you more health and more magicka than witchmother, only it doesnt give you regen

Magic toons do not need more then the basic ~10k Stam. Magic toons do usually need more regen. Simple.