The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Darkshade Caverns II - Hard Mode

John_Falstaff
John_Falstaff
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Just to remind, hard mode is about not touching valves during poison gas phase. So what I was wondering about: I already forgot when people - pugs or not - were going for non-HM way of doing the dungeon; it's pretty straightforward as long as everyone's keeping away from the center and stacks to receive proper healing. But then again, it must be just my experience - hence me creating this thread, to muse aloud whether others aim to turn valves off on their runs. Point in case, I even begin wondering if non-HM at this point is harder than HM itself, and maybe they even should be reversed? Timely turning off the valves seem to require more effort and group coordination than just keeping together and getting healed. Perhaps this should be the hard mode instead? What are your thoughts?
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even know you could do that? Usually just stack up & chain adds in
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Sparr0w , yup, that was my experience for good while, but for me it started with group of friends and diligently trying to jump at the valves to turn off the gas. ^^ I very much suspect that many do vDSII HM without even realizing they can do it non-HM way.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had four friends in voice comma and tried turning the valves off in normal Darkshade 2, and it was a lot harder than just stack n burn and depend on your healer. The hardest part was pulling off of DPS and getting everyone to their valve.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never done the non-HM version for this dungeon. It's always been burn and heal through the poison. It seems doing the non-HM is actually harder, compared to other dungeons that are similar (no scroll to activate HM).

The first I can think of is Banished Cells 2. Keeping 3 deadroth alive before you kill the final boss can be a real challenge for unorganized groups. Doing this non-HM is easier.

Crypt of Hearts 2. Keeping 4 ghosts alive before final boss grabs his sword can be a challenge for groups that aren't communicating. Non-HM is easier.

Fungal Grotto 2. Not using the protection bubble can be a challenge if heals are not that good and for lower CP groups, or if players refrain from getting out of the black holes! Non-HM is easier.

Just a few that came to my mind. Darkshade Caverns 2 is about the only one I can think of where HM is actually easier.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Darkshade 2 poison mechanic with valve is rather funny. I see WAY more people die when hes doing flame attacks then poison.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’ve always felt that doing the levers was actually more difficult than to just kill the boss in hard mode. One of those dungeons where the devs got it backwards. Every once in awhile someone will die to the poison if they don’t stick with the healer, but I agree, most of the time it seems they die during the fire phase or get taken out by one of the ads.
    Edited by Ashtaris on October 12, 2018 4:08PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most people don't realize that's an option, and as long as that persists in Vet, HM just kind of happens.

You don't really get the option of choosing the next phase color, so unless your healer drops during green, it's kind of pointless anyway.

If you're trying to get out of blue because adds are kicking your butt, they're going to add up regardless when it rolls around next time, eventually overwhelming you.

If you're trying to get out of red, well, just mind your feet. As long as you're not under the boss, you can step into the fire AoE after it flares up and take no damage.

DC II is an endurance fight, not a DPS race. Groups usually fail it because they get greedy.

Take your time, let the boss come to you (don't chase excessively), don't touch anything, profit.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS