Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Question about armor, a bit confused

10Club
10Club
Soul Shriven
Hello, thank you for reading.

My question has to do with the armor sets that you see when you create a character. You know how you can check to see what the various armor sets look like for a certain class/race? What I was wondering is if the specific armor set you see on a certain race is exclusive for that race.

For example: I love how the high end Sorcerer set looks on the Breton; the one with the mask over the characters face. So if I wanted that set for Sorcerer do I need to make a Breton?

Thank you.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    The motif books let you create armor that looks like whatever race you get the book for. So no, you do not have to create that race to wear its armor, necessarily.
  • 10Club
    10Club
    Soul Shriven
    Okay, thank you very much. I really liked that set but did not want to make a Breton. Happy to know that there is a way to do it.
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any race can wear any equipment style. To craft a style that isn't your race's you will need a learn that style's motif, which are semi-rare drops.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on April 5, 2014 2:56AM
  • 10Club
    10Club
    Soul Shriven
    Oh so it's a completely random drop. When you get the drop does it unlock all styles for that specific race?

Example: You find one for Breton and it's for every armor set not just Templar Breton.
  • hilelorangutan
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding the question correctly, but yes if you get one of the Motif drops and use it, you can then craft in any of the 3 armor types (light, medium, heavy) with that style of armor.

This only gives you the option to change the style for armor you craft, it doesn't not allow you to modify existing armor.
  • hilelorangutan
    Also I don't know if it was mentioned here, but the Motif's are generally found in houses in the towns, so make sure you are searching drawers and such if you want to learn other racial styles. They also sell very well in chat if you're just in it for the money :)
  • 10Club
    10Club
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you very much (sorry for the late reply). Yes, that answered my question. I appreciate all the help everyone!