Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Are these books lore-friendly?

myskyrim26
myskyrim26
✭✭✭✭✭
I read Kyne's Challenge and Agents and Reagents, books that came with Hero's Guide to Tamriel. They seem to be very interesting but largely contradicting with ESO lore. Places, events are a mess. And Enchanting part of Agents and Reagents is really something weird. So, are these books lore-friendly?
They can be found on TIL:
https://www.imperial-library.info/content/agents-and-reagents
https://www.imperial-library.info/content/kynes-challenge
Edited by myskyrim26 on October 7, 2018 8:21PM
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    myskyrim26 wrote: »
    I read Kyne's Challenge and Agents and Reagents, books that came with Hero's Guide to Tamriel. They seem to be very interesting but largely contradicting with ESO lore. Places, events are a mess. And Enchanting part of Agents and Reagents is really something weird. So, are these books lore-friendly?
    They can be found on TIL:
    https://www.imperial-library.info/content/agents-and-reagents
    https://www.imperial-library.info/content/kynes-challenge

I'd be great if you also elaborated on what of it conflicts, so that proper comparisons can be drawn.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the books are part of the lore, as far as I can tell, since they are official releases. However, keep in mind that the lore of TES is not always 100% accurate to the truth, and indeed many of the authors are biased or possibly mistaken.

So for the Agents and Reagents, most of the alchemy stuff looks pretty normal, though I didnt double check every reagent's properties.

The enchanting stuff is different. Some of the items listed have been used as Alchemy reagents in the other games, like Frost salts, ectoplasm, most flesh, and glow dust. Others haven't been used at all, like the gem chalcedony, vampire teeth, and snake parts. A few appear as trophies in ESO, like the netch membranes.

As for Kyne's Challenge, I second the request for you to elaborate. Theres a lot,of text to skim and I'm not seeing any problems jump out at me. Its basically a tour of the different regions and their major monster types. From my brief overview, the monsters are present in the listed zones, though also found in other zones as well. The daedra are mostly present in those zones, those I think a few were sprinkled in where the story required them.

So overall, yes they are lore-friendly, though perhaps not 100% acurate, rather like much of the in-game lorebooks.
    Edited by VaranisArano on October 7, 2018 11:22PM
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bruccius
    Bruccius wrote: »
    I'd be great if you also elaborated on what of it conflicts, so that proper comparisons can be drawn.
    Got it, will post here contradictions found

@VaranisArano
    I see.. Not always accurate, but still interesting. I'm especially concerned about enchanting section of Agents and Reagents. Plenty of information there, I wish it could fit alchemy

Edited by myskyrim26 on October 7, 2018 11:41PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said, most of the enchanting stuff is present in some way in the series, if not always in the way described in the book.

Not Used At All (as far as I can tell, please correct if I missed them somewhere)
    Chalcedony
    Porphyry
    Lazurite
    Jasper
    Animal skins (crafting mats)
    Slag, embers, and Ash (possibly the Heartstones from Dragonborn DLC)
    Blue Ice
    Giant's thumb and teeth
    Gilint Splinter
    Skybolt
    Vampire Fangs (just dust)
    Cold Blood
    Small Heart
    Snake Parts

Trophies in ESO
    Netch Membranes
    Carapace
    Daedra Husk
    Dwarven Cogs and Gear
    Insect parts
    Lizard Parts
    Skull&bones
    Shock ball (crackling lodestone)
    Guts (fishing bait)

Alchemy Reagents in other TES Games
    Animal claws
    Carapace (Mudcrab Chitin)
    Dwarven Oil
    Frost Salts
    White Ice (described as Ice Wealth Teeth)
    Glow Dust
    Ectoplasm
    Giant's Toe
    Taproot
    Creep Cluster
    Briarheart
    Bonemeal
    Blood Salts
    Vampire Dust
    Mort Flesh
    Void Salts
    Fire Salts
    Daedra Hearts
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Morrowind, Milyn Faram explains that enchanted scrolls work off the Law of Similarity; most enchanters use parts of the original creature, but he's found a faster and more reliable way by using a Dwemer printing press to print an image of the creature instead. However, this particular aspect of enchanting hasn't been mentioned in any other in-game book or dialogue.

Alchemy reagents can be "used" in enchanting by creating a potion to, say, fortify one's intelligence or the power of one's created enchantments.