Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Summerfall Culanda Laquer crisis

kind_hero
kind_hero
✭✭✭✭✭
First of all, I am happy that we will get this awesome villa, maybe the house I like most so far in ESO and was 99% sure I will never have the crowns to aquire it. The devs have made us an unprecedented gift for which I am grateful.

But this giveaway of the largest Alinor themed house, has already created a huge demand for Culanda Laquer. Prices have gone to 3.5k a piece, and stacks sell for 5k per unit.
This means that for epic Alinor furnishings, just the culanda cost is about 7-10k gold, which I find ridiculous. The means to aquire this style material are limited to a few daily quests and if you get lucky to obtain and succesfully deconstruct a Sapiarch styled item.

I am pretty sure that by the 10th of October and afterwards, these prices will rise, and it will be a major struggle for a crafter to create Alinor furnishings for trading or just for decorating the Villa.

In my opinion, and I bet I am not the only one, this situation must be improved. We have seen good reaction from the devs, by lowering the culanda cost for fine and rare furnishings, so I hope they will hear us now too. I guess they can have more data than we do. Several solutions have been proposed, like changing the style material to the psijic one, which is more available, increase the daily amount of culanda that can be aquired or, my suggestion... add a way to create these furnishings as bound items, for which you don't require the style material. So if you want to trade the items, then you need culanda, if not, you create a bound item without culanda. This system was used for Psijic items, and could be extended to other furnishings as well.
[PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll be happy just making money selling my stock of culanda.
    PC/EU DC
  • Beamer_Miasma
    Beamer_Miasma
    ✭✭✭
    If your MM says 3.5K a piece on PC/EU as your sig says you need a better guild. My MM says 2.4K (even when limited to the last 3 days) with a highest unit price of 2.7K and that's based on data from the largest trading guild on the server (plus a few smaller ones). TTC shows an average of 3.1K based on 1.3K listed items, with a suggested range of 2.2-2.8K. I personally had no problem buying 200 Lacquer yesterday late at night not paying more than 2.5K for a single one of those.

Of course the price is going to ramp up, and people will speculate on that. You're basically complaining that you realized this too late and missed the boat on doing the same. Tough luck, think faster next time.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course the price is going to ramp up, and people will speculate on that. You're basically complaining that you realized this too late and missed the boat on doing the same. Tough luck, think faster next time.

You are basically attacking me, saying that I complain for not making a "deal" earlier, stocking up to make large profit$ after Summerfall. Like I am dumb, and could not see this coming. I did expect this, but the problem is not so much the price, but the shortage. The prices I am talking about are from browsing the market, checking many guilds and taking note of the prices for culanda. I checked all the traders from the major cities. Most traders don't even have culanda on stock anymore, or where they do, the unit price is above 3.5k.

Well, let me clarify. I am not a trader... I do not play the market, and do not own 500k gold to afford buying 200x Culanda like you. Not all the players are as acomplished as you or other veterans who sit on milions of gold. I am not suggesting a nerf so I can make more money easier, but to do what I like in this game, for myself (not for profit), and that is crafting and decorating. This is the crafting sub forum btw. There are lots of people like me who play a few hours a week but would like to enjoy some parts of the game which would not hinder the people who are more "hardcore" and their achievements. From your reply, you don't seem to care about crafting.

The fact that culanda is a rare ingredient in high demand is not news. There were many posts about it, and the devs even adressed this some time ago. But this giveaway is unprecedented and thousands of players will want Alinor furniture all the sudden. This is what I am talking about. For sales or traders, yes, it will be great, but I want to have more culanda to decorate my villa, not to make sales.

• db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    As a simple suggestion, the could add something like culando sap to random farming nodes and you refine 10 for a lacquer. This would put it in line with other dlc mats and funnel people to arteum/summerset
    Starfire Protocol lvl 50 NB Redmage healer - Main + Master Crafter
    Gives Good Heed lvl 50 Warden Super Buff Healer
    Crafty Smyth lvl 50 Stamblade Poison Assassin - Farmer
    Everyon's Pal Adin lvl 44 Templar Splash Healer
    Stands Against Danger lvl 16 DK Tank -ex mule
    Matriarch Tamer lvl 18 Baby Sorc Healer
  • Madhattr64
    Madhattr64
    ✭✭✭
    I have done dailies over the last 3 days with a group of guildies and have over 20 Culanda. Its easy. Just put in the effort.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Madhattr64 wrote: »
    I have done dailies over the last 3 days with a group of guildies and have over 20 Culanda. Its easy. Just put in the effort.

Not only dailies, but there is another way to improve your stock quickly just by being resourceful.

Supply will be tight, but you have a few days to prepare.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you just do the dailies so you can earn Culanda? If you don't have time to do all of them then just pick the easiest or fasted one and do just that one every day. Every time you do a daily you're supposed to get a culanda included in the reward.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For materials that are not overly difficult to farm, the price reflects the time to acquire and demand. I don't see the price moving from 2,500, or at least not for long.

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only dailies, but there is another way to improve your stock quickly just by being resourceful.

Don't be coy....

image1480011732-4947-b0ad3adf9b3a9de1af072d0d74252343@1x.jpg
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

Don't be coy....

B) Just said to be resourceful is all ...
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why will people want Alinor furniture? Everyone knows redguard looks best
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »

I know it's kind of weird that people want alinor furniture when they can furnish like a moist argonian hovel...
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maryal wrote: »
    Why don't you just do the dailies so you can earn Culanda? If you don't have time to do all of them then just pick the easiest or fasted one and do just that one every day. Every time you do a daily you're supposed to get a culanda included in the reward.

I am doing the daily quests, but I have only two chars, so I can get about 4 each day if I have the time to do both, or do the geysers. This is not the issue. All I am trying to point out is that, if you do a google search, there are many threads like this, about culanda laquer being scarce, and this case is almost unique compared to other furnishing styles where the style material is not that limited nor you have to grind it every day. I would even like the ability to convert 1-2 transmutation crystals into a style material. They want us do the Summerset content and keep us busy with it, I get it, but it feels exagerated compared to other furnishing styles.

Yea, in the end I can live without Alinor stuff and whatnot.. But it is a bad design to grind so much if you want to decorate a full house with Alinor items.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it really bad design?

Or, is it a personal inconvenience?

Due to a playstyle that requires way more than the average player’s culanda lacquer needs?
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price will reach it's maximum in the last quarter of October and then level and go down. Maybe even earlier

Because I expect the supply to rise (for many people getting 6k gold average per 10 min quest is quite a deal, imho. This includes potential Sapiarch pages value).
    kind_hero wrote: »
    All I am trying to point out is that, if you do a google search, there are many threads like this, about culanda laquer being scarce

Most of those threads are about scarcity when Culanda Laquer drop chances were not 100% and blue diagrams required the same amount of Culanda as purple ones. Current scarcity is temporary. Either you wait a couple of months for Culanda Laquer prices to get to 1.5-2k gold mark, or spend your money
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on October 1, 2018 4:53PM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price will reach it's maximum in the last quarter of October and then level and go down. Maybe even earlier

Because I expect the supply to rise (for many people getting 6k gold average per 10 min quest is quite a deal, imho. This includes potential Sapiarch pages value).
    All I am trying to point out is that, if you do a google search, there are many threads like this, about culanda laquer being scarce

Most of those threads are about scarcity when Culanda Laquer drop chances were not 100% and blue diagrams required the same amount of Culanda as purple ones. Current scarcity is temporary. Either you wait a couple of months for Culanda Laquer prices to get to 1.5-2k gold mark, or spend your money

You are forgetting that Summerset is still our newest zone DLC. Murkmire is coming soon, and after that, another Chapter. We all know that when new content comes out, people abandon the old content for the most part. What happens a year from now when no one is doing Summerset dailies and Culandas will be even scarcer than it is now, with no sets to decon for Culandas? Shall we just accept that people will never feasibly be able to craft Alinor themed furniture, or even any of the current jewelrycrafting recipe items? Or that they should spend half an hour doing 2 dailies to create 1 piece of furniture for themselves? This is what is poorly planned out with this Culanda requirement. The increase dropchance and decreased mat cost was a small band aid at best.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »

I like some of the Breton items. I don't usually like to only have one style used.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »

You are forgetting that Summerset is still our newest zone DLC. Murkmire is coming soon, and after that, another Chapter. We all know that when new content comes out, people abandon the old content for the most part. What happens a year from now when no one is doing Summerset dailies and Culandas will be even scarcer than it is now, with no sets to decon for Culandas? Shall we just accept that people will never feasibly be able to craft Alinor themed furniture, or even any of the current jewelrycrafting recipe items? Or that they should spend half an hour doing 2 dailies to create 1 piece of furniture for themselves? This is what is poorly planned out with this Culanda requirement. The increase dropchance and decreased mat cost was a small band aid at best.

That's true. Just look at clockwork city green recipes. They run anywhere from 5k to 20k despite being stupidly easy to get. It's just because people don't spend time in the content.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad they didn't let us have a Psijic Order conversion for gear like we had for Morag Tong in Morrowind. I don't know how many iron daggers I made in basic racial styles, converted to Morag Tong, then deconstructed for the Morag Tong style material!! lol

Then came the outfit system and ruined all my fun.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad they didn't let us have a Psijic Order conversion for gear like we had for Morag Tong in Morrowind. I don't know how many iron daggers I made in basic racial styles, converted to Morag Tong, then deconstructed for the Morag Tong style material!! lol

Wouldn't matter, Psijic Order decons into Molondo, and we actually do have one set in the Psijic style. Sapiarch style is the one with Culandas, and no set in the game drops in Sapiarch style.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, I feel like every new patch is just a way to make the game more and more unplayable. I get it, they want people to stick around by playing content for as long as possible to acquire rare items, but it seems lately anything that isn't a damn Argonian mat or Dunmer shelf, is next to impossible to craft, due to highly limited resources. I love the new villa (thank you so much ZOS), but honestly I am not looking forward to the next 3 years of grinding for the resources needed to stock that huge place.

ZOS, the more satisfying you make the game, the more likely we'd be to play the game forever. Make it punishing, and eventually we'll just not put up with it anymore.
    Edited by Mintaka5 on October 1, 2018 8:46PM
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't matter, Psijic Order decons into Molondo, and we actually do have one set in the Psijic style. Sapiarch style is the one with Culandas, and no set in the game drops in Sapiarch style.

In my head I was thinking Sapiarch, but my fingers typed Psijic Order. Thanks for correcting me, but just sub Sapiarch for PO and my point remains the same, lol.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

• NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Carbonised you missed my point. I don't think that the future supply will come from people "doing the content". Quite the opposite, it will come from people farming for gold. Sure, Murkmire will reduce amount of people spending time in Summerset, but if there would be no better options for farming in Murkmire, they will continue farming Culandas while they are at the prime

Baseline 20-25k gold per hour farm didn't change, and anything better than that will attract people. And right now farming culandas is much better option than the baseline (I hope we won't start the argument about how this baseline was calculated)
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on October 2, 2018 11:04AM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Carbonised you missed my point. I don't think that the future supply will come from people "doing the content". Quite the opposite, it will come from people farming for gold. Sure, Murkmire will reduce amount of people spending time in Summerset, but if there would be no better options for farming in Murkmire, they will continue farming Culandas while they are at the prime

Baseline 20-25k gold per hour farm didn't change, and anything better than that will attract people. And right now farming culandas is much better option than the baseline (I hope we won't start the argument about how this baseline was calculated)

Eh, you have to spend like 15 mins to do a Summerset daily, for what, 2500 gold? Not to mention the tedium of doing the same dailies over and over again. I sure can find an easier way to get 2500 gold in 15 mins other than Summerset dailies. We will just have to see what the future brings, but I seriously doubt people are going to farm Summerset dailies in an extended amount just to sell some Culandas here and there.

Edited by Carbonised on October 2, 2018 11:10AM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you finding it for 3500?
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nodulo
    nodulo
    ✭✭✭
    I have so many mimic stones stashed away, couldn't one just use those to craft dozens of Sapiarch style items and just decon for the style material?
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldn’t be surprised if ZOS reduced the drop rate of Culanda even more. It was no surprise to see a data mined list of various Alinor based crown store furniture packs coming out soon. Silly people, ZOS doesn’t want you to create your own furniture.
    Edited by Ashtaris on October 3, 2018 6:06AM
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on it is pretty easy to get all you have to do is dailies which take 10 minutes
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Summerset bosses quests take 10 minutes if you find enough people to form a group. Most of the times I don't. After the new DLC release it will be even harder to find people, so you can only do the delve quests (also boring to do over and over again).
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    After the new DLC release it will be even harder to find people, so you can only do the delve quests
    Not true at all, unless you're playing at very off-peak hours. I had no issue getting groups together for the Wrothgar dailies more than two years after that content debuted, and it wasn't during an event or anything either.
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More