Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Treasure maps

ijacksparrowed
ijacksparrowed
✭✭✭
Does anyone know if you need the treasure map when you get to the location of the treasure to obtain what ever treasure there might be, or is it used solely as a guide? I would like to free up some bank space.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a guide.

Edit: I was incorrect.
    Edited by Vikova on April 5, 2014 9:16PM
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know the map vanishes from your inventory once you dig up and open the chest, but not sure if the dirt pile will be there for you without the map in your inventory.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you need the map in your inventory when you reach the spot with the treasure. The map is a hidden trigger to spawn the treasure for you. Or so I assume from how it all behaves.
  • ijacksparrowed
    ijacksparrowed
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the responses.
  • Srikandi
    Srikandi
    ✭✭✭✭
    And the treasure itself is leveled to the zone its in, not to player level... as I confirmed yesterday when I went back for an Auridon chest at 20 and got level 8 gear ;) So make sure you do the maps for the zone you're currently questing in.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Correct.

The map leads to a dirt pile. Chest´s that you find are not treasure´s so to speak, even though they are listed as those in the achievement tab. Those chest´s you can find without maps, but the dirt piles (are there other variations too?) wont appear without the maps.