The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

It's NOT Snipe, It's Focused Aim

Wreuntzylla
Wreuntzylla
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I have a magplar with fortified brass in light, one chudan and one pirate's. Buffed, I have ~32k physical resistance, quite a bit more mag resist. The toon is built to wade into zergs with a friend. Have 3300 crit resist, normal CP spec, etc.

Lethal arrow is hitting me for around 3-4k.

I stepped out of Fort Ash today and a duo hit me with focused aim repeatedly for 8,700. I came back prepared, same thing. I messaged one of them and he said Spriggan's/Archer's Mind, 1 kena 1 velidreth.

Mind you, I have tried about every variation of sniper and run Marksman/Hawkeye with Lethal Arrow. I tested Lethal v. Focused and the damage difference was at best 1k. I also tested the sets the player told me about and it was complete poop.

So I had the gear. Not much change since I last tested with lethal. Ran to Mournhold, respec'd, my lowest hit has been 5k my highest 12.4k, most hits are 8.5ish.

Something is broken and it is connected to focused aim only.

• susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I crit over 10k Lethal Arrow on tanks with vAS bow+Morag Tong+Marksman. It can get insane burst.
    Edited by susmitds on September 30, 2018 8:32AM
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason Focused Aim can hit harder than Lethal Arrow is that, without the DoT, you can return to stealth.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's none of that. Playing around with different sets, Marksman/Hawkeye performs slightly better than with lethal arrow, spriggans/marksman about the same, anything with Archer's Mind goes crazy.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't really beat vAS with anything. The burst is insane.
  • themaddaedra
    themaddaedra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a magplar with fortified brass in light, one chudan and one pirate's. Buffed, I have ~32k physical resistance, quite a bit more mag resist. The toon is built to wade into zergs with a friend. Have 3300 crit resist, normal CP spec, etc.

I stepped out of Fort Ash today and a duo hit me with focused aim repeatedly for 8,700. I came back prepared, same thing. I messaged one of them and he said Spriggan's/Archer's Mind, 1 kena 1 velidreth.

Mind you, I have tried about every variation of sniper and run Marksman/Hawkeye with Lethal Arrow. I tested Lethal v. Focused and the damage difference was at best 1k. I also tested the sets the player told me about and it was complete poop.

So I had the gear. Not much change since I last tested with lethal. Ran to Mournhold, respec'd, my lowest hit has been 5k my highest 12.4k, most hits are 8.5ish.

He/she is using Spriggan for physical penetration and focused aim also applies minor fracture. If you are playing a CP campaign the person would prolly have quite some points into physical penetration. So you are not sitting on the same resistances you mentioned.

In the same circumstances lethal arrow should deal similar damage. Try getting hit by a lethal Arrow under same penetration values, see if there's still this much difference.

Spriggan makes more difference on high resistance targets.
    PC|EU
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

He/she is using Spriggan for physical penetration and focused aim also applies minor fracture. If you are playing a CP campaign the person would prolly have quite some points into physical penetration. So you are not sitting on the same resistances you mentioned.

In the same circumstances lethal arrow should deal similar damage. Try getting hit by a lethal Arrow under same penetration values, see if there's still this much difference.

Keep reading...
    Edited by Wreuntzylla on September 30, 2018 9:33AM
  • themaddaedra
    themaddaedra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep reading...

And?

Did you make exactly the same comparisons? Did you ask the person what cp he was using? Did you find a person with your build and hit them with the other person's build using both lethal and focused aim?

I kept reading and didn't see anything in that sense.

Edit: Typo.
    Edited by themaddaedra on September 30, 2018 9:57AM
    PC|EU
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Keep reading...

And?

Did you make exactly the same comparisons? Did you ask the person what cp he was using? Did you find a person with your build and hit them with the other person's build using both lethal and focused aim?

If you kept reading you would see that's irrelevant since I posted the damage I was doing, which compared favorably. That's without Kragh's, my usual complement to kena...

The lower end was on certain wardens and I assume they were using major protection.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find this thread to be incredibly insightful.

I’ve always wondered which morph was better. Now I know to choose focused aim.

Thank you, kind sir.
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »

Thank you, kind sir.

Have a buddy spam poison Injection at the same time. I have a hard time learning to play against that combo.
  • Vicarra
    Vicarra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a similar setup currently on my magsorc, except I play in Sotha where CP doesn't apply. My physical resist is about 30k, my spell resist 32k. Lethal arrow typically hits me for about 4-5k, and crits for more.
    PAWS - Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff!

Haakon Stormblade - Nord Illusionist, Dwemer scholar, Horse Whisperer, Bringer of Storms
  • themaddaedra
    themaddaedra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep reading...

And?

If you kept reading you would see that's irrelevant since I posted the damage I was doing, which compared favorably. That's without Kragh's, my usual complement to kena...

The lower end was on certain wardens and I assume they were using major protection.

The damage you were doing to whom? With what CP? What's their build and what's yours? It's all in all hypotetical talking in there.

Maybe there really is something about focused aim but no way you can prove it like "i was hitting this and the person was hitting that" and so on. You need to use both morphs on exactly the same build against exactly the same build, then see if difference is that high.
    PC|EU
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both has one thing in common: bowtard's selection. Lethal Arrow hit just as hard as Focused Aim with added Major Defile as bonus.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Both has one thing in common: bowtard's selection. Lethal Arrow hit just as hard as Focused Aim with added Major Defile as bonus.

Lol. The point of this thread is that it is not hitting for the same.

Keep reading...

And?

The damage you were doing to whom? With what CP? What's their build and what's yours? It's all in all hypotetical talking in there.

Maybe there really is something about focused aim but no way you can prove it like "i was hitting this and the person was hitting that" and so on. You need to use both morphs on exactly the same build against exactly the same build, then see if difference is that high.

If your sample size is large enough, this is patently untrue. In PvP, high resists are endemic. So far I hit for 7.5-8k or greater on every target except for one warden and one whose class I am not sure of yet.

My greatest hit last night was for over 18k.

I expect that eventually my work will bear fruit and bring the tanks to the forums...

ChunkyCat wrote: »

Thank you, kind sir.

I don't know the cause, but it at least doesn't appear to be Focused Aim alone. Try the gear combo posted above as well.
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess the question would be are you talking crits or non crits?

A setup with focused aim, archer's mind, spriggans, shadow mundus, channeled acceleration and CP precise strikes + nightblade can get to beyond your critical resist stats.

That setup is 50%+15%(am)+10%(channeled)+13.73%(shadow mundus 7 divines)+10%(nightblade passive)+25%(precise strikes)+10%(bosmer) (well over 100% critical damage, not everything I believe in calculated the same from the grouping).

with

3450 (spriggans)+1320(minor fracture)+5280 (major fracture)+~5k(piercing CP)+2700 (sharpened)=20k reduction of armor.

Then you have the assorted +physical damage things (which should only affect base before critical modification damage, but who knows?)

Though the only real difference in damage between lethal and focused for them should be minor fracture (which shouldn't be alot). It's also possible that certain portions of +critical damage apply differently from stealth/invis for physical damage vs poison damage.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Archer's mind is 15% critical damage from stealth/invis and that's on top of 10% from being a bosmer (which says stealth, but isn't just stealth it's also invis).
    Edited by rfennell_ESO on October 1, 2018 7:04PM