The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Player Tips and Tricks - For the Player by the Player!

kijima
kijima
✭✭✭✭✭
Don't eat yellow snow, that's a given of course. o:)

Although I didn't write all of this, and I can't take credit for all of it, I did add some things to this list that helped me, and many will find it useful I'm sure. Most of this is based on beta, so things may well change, but here goes

1. If you have zero patience for starter areas and have no strong choice for faction or race, Aldmeri Dominion is the most streamlined and efficient starter area in very many respects.

2. Wayshrines. It costs nothing to go from wayshrine to wayshrine, so don't waste your money travelling to one far away if you have another close by. ( I wasted a LOT of money this way in beta)

However, even for the starter areas, it is useful to walk everywhere, i.e. minimise use of Wayshrines, because of (the few) hidden quests, plus exploration XP. I prioritized travelling to quest objectives that included as much territory, which typically were the furthest distance, in between that I had not explored.

3. Create as many alts as you can, preferably all 8, for crafting storage and Coldharbour mats. Coldharbour takes about 15mins to run, tops, even with looting, so well worth it.

4. Keep at least one slot clear at your bank and park all your alts at the bank. That way you can spread the goodies around the alts.

5. Have at least one filled Soul Gem on you from the very first time you leave Coldharbour by checking the nearest vendors for empties and using your Soul Trap ability on the nearest mob. In early zones after the starter area, depending somewhat on your faction, it can be very difficult indeed to get hold of Soul Gems. Believe me, you will need them, even if by some miracle or amazing play, you never die in ESO while levelling, they can be used to revive others. This is particularly useful in siege PvP because of the huge distances to travel on death.

5b. In the beta, when you got to level 5, that's when you started to consume soul gems when you die. Be very mindful if it's worth consuming one after level 5. Just a thought. ;)

6. There are no easy ways to sell goods to other players in this game, unless they suddenly decide to add auction houses or market stalls for individuals before release. So, no point saving up anything at all that is purely gained from levelling unless it is for crafting or for a guild bank. So, if you do not need it, craft with it or
sell it, especially anything to do with Provisioning.

7. Make sure to never leave a zone, including the PvP zone, without looting all the Skyshards in it. Every Skyshard represents 1/3rd of a skill point, the very thing you are levelling. A quick way to check your Skyshard progression per zone is to look at the Achievements screen or use a sky map locations site.

( I was going to post it, but if you can always use google ;) )

8. Crouching/sneaking, especially with enough Medium Armor pieces, can be very useful. This works even in pvp since you can use it to effectively be invisible out in the open.

9. Make sure to use player Synergy abilities that pop-up from allies using special normal abilities when playing in a group, especially healer ones. Synergies like Purify of healers are really strong in PvP. The default Synergy activation button is X, I believe.

9b. When you are about to level up, make sure you have all your passives on, it'll help them level up too.

10. Bug workaround: if you get stuck at an NPC screen, pressing ‘ (apostrophe) or typing /reloadui will clear the screen. Same goes for being stuck, I had the falling thing happen more than a few times in beta and while amusing for a while the screaming of your character can get annoying. /stuck will fix this!

11. Emotes in ESO often conjure items out of thin air, e.g. /sit. Great for RP or just fun.

12. /playdead could be useful in pvp. :)

No seriously, it'll save your bacon!

13. If you are creating a character that may PvP, especially in early levels, be careful with skills. Focus on CC, burst damage, burst healing, escaping and cleansing. Keep in mind, however, that most kills and probably contribution comes from using and supporting Siege machines.

14. Do not underestimate the usefulness of basic attacks and Blocking (especially MMO players who are not used to such mechanics). All basic attacks and directed attacks (not aoe) cannot miss, though they can be Blocked or Evaded (talking about a stat, not the dodging roll). This applies to NPCs too. Using a Heavy attack when a player is “Off Balance” will knock them down, opening up combos with special attacks. A Sorceror’s heavy attack with a Frost weapon will Snare the target with the right passive, or their Overload Ultimate, etc.

15. Melee interrupt can be useful to stop elites from casting powerful nukes. Past the very first starter area, timing such skills and other forms of CC can be critical to the success of soloing elites and later, at your first dungeons, completing them without excessive pain.

16. Bosses in public dungeons can drop great loot and respawn quickly…

17. Chest loot is not personal loot, can be better than dungeon boss loot, and is easily ninja’d by randoms (e.g. in public dungeons) or other group players. If chest loot matters to you, be careful who you run with or who is around or who gets to a chest first…

18. Addons/mods can make a significant difference to the look and feel of a game, and hence your enjoyment. This is particularly the case for experienced MMO players. There are already addons that can show specific numbers like health, mana, stamina, percentage health of yourself and target, scrolling combat text for your damage/healing output and damage/healing input, as well as status effects on you and your target including remaining durations.

19. Keep as many lockpicks as you can on you. Coldharbour tutorial area also provides a ton. Chests loot can be very lucrative or useful!

20. Almost unknown: there are special profession workbenches scattered throughout zones that provide special crafting bonuses for “Set” items. The bonuses are often quite significant…

21. Classic MMO tip: get a mount as early as you can. This is especially important in ESO because mounts are not only movement speed upgrades (even come with their own sprint bar) but also storage/inventory upgrades. Yes, they are super, super expensive, but that does not remove from their usefulness.

22. After you get your first horse, be sure to talk to the stable master again. Once a day you can feed your horse and it will increase speed, stamina, or carry weight depending on what you choose to feed him with. 50 days in a row of feeding will see it max out.

Additional notes on mounts:
  • The cheapest horse you can buy at any major city is approximately 17,500 gold unless you have the Imperial edition which is 1 gold.
  • Each horse has a level cap of 50, which would make it impossible to max all three attributes.
  • Each time you feed your mount (20hr cool down), you gain 1 inventory slot, if you maximize carry weight.
  • Don’t buy the slowest white horse. Save up for one of the faster horses and skip the slowest ones. Again, the imperial horse at 1 gold is a good buy.

24. If you are having trouble spotting resource nodes, downgrade your graphics settings – specifically grass and shadows and depth of field, turn them off. Makes the nodes MUCH easier to spot even at longer distance.

24. The crafting system allows you to break armor and weapons you find in order to learn the patterns for traits. The time for research is long and doubles each time you learn a new trait. First time the research period lasts 6hrs. The next time you research a trait on the same item, it will take 12hrs, then 24 etc. These times are in real time, not game time, and they continue when your character goes offline.

25. Racial Motifs Books for creating new styles of armor and weapons drop from containers like trunks in houses and also chests that aren't locked.

26. Repairing your armour through traders is expensive, be careful about doing this as you'll chew through a lot of money. You'll find a lot or armour to the same level as what you are wearing in loot drops.

27. You always want to loot chests, trunks, wardrobes, desks, bookshelves, and furnishings. Bookshelves often contain books that when read will give you skill points, read them ALL! The mages guild is a good example of this.

28. Level up Soul Magic early, up to at least Morph Rank 4. Soul Gems are worth the trouble and comparatively easy to pick up.

29. Since your characters share one bank account, you can save items that way. You can also mail items to yourself, and best of all, mail items between characters to each other, to keep items indefinitely.

30. Don’t skip the training in Cyrodil. You get a bigger reward, and a lot of Alliance points early on, among others.

31. Empty your bags before you leave town. Sell what you don’t need or can’t put in the bag.

32. Always enchant your weapon if you can, it adds extra damage and usually adds the ability to cause condition effects. This can make even store bought weapons rather powerful.

33. For those that want to level up quickly, the best way to level up is doing quests, since they give the most XP. Finding and exploring areas are the second way for gaining a huge chunk of exp as the XP gain goes something like this: questing » exploration » grinding

34. Mix and match your armor, and you will boost your available stats from the start. You’ll find that light armor boosts magicka, medium armor: stamina and heavy armor HP or armor.

35. From level 15 you can swap your weapons at any time. Use ‘ Keyboard Command.

36. Most of locked chests can be found on the coastline

37. There is an achievement for being eaten alive by slaughter fish... don't ask me how I know this. :s

38. Once a guild has sufficient members (50 currently) and owns a resource in Cyrodiil, such as a keep, mine, farm, or lumber mill, you may open a guild store there to the general public. Anyone who visits your resource in Cyrodiil can shop there, similar to an auction house system found in many other games. However, this will be localized instead of global and based on the goods posted by that single guild.

39. The crafting system allows you to break armor and weapons you find in order to learn the patterns for traits. The time for research is long and doubles each time you learn a new trait. First time the research period lasts 6hrs. The next time you research a trait on the same item, it will take 12hrs, then 24 etc. These times are in real time, not game time, and they continue when your character goes offline.

40. At level 10 travel to Cyrodil and do the starting quest and the siege equipment training, the first gives skillpoints.

41. Leaving Cyrodiil can be done from the wayshrine at the gate by selecting another zone from the locations tab. You cannot teleport from anywhere in Cyrodil, you must arrive at a keep controlled by your faction and use a Transit Shrine to get back to camp and then use the wayshrine. Or alternatively you can die and respawn there.

42. Only enchant Head, Chest, Legs and Boots armor pieces.

There’s a reason why enchanting Shoulders, Belt and Gloves is not the best idea when you’re levelling up. These item slots are considered “small enchants”. If a Glyph’s tooltip says it increases max Magicka by 8, it’s only going to increase max Magicka for Shoulders, Belt and Gloves by around 6.

If you have a choice of enchanting some pieces of gear over others whilst levelling up, you should always enchant head, chest, legs and feet slots to get the most bang for your buck.

43. Collect Skyshards.

Currently Skyshards provide more than a third of all possible skill points in the game. Our interactive Skyshard map comes with skyshard achievement hints linked to each skyshard, which makes it super easy for you to pinpoint the ones you are missing in each zone.

IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE TIPS, I'LL ADD THEM TO THIS LIST.
Edited by kijima on March 31, 2014 10:22PM
Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
Kijima - AD DK Derps
Annure - AD NB Derps
Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• snowsong
    snowsong
    ✭✭✭
    In previous ES games i could hit ~ tilde key to bring up the console for typing in console commands, but I can not figure out how to do it in ESo. I am unable to bring up anything that will let me type in anything (well except chat of course) so I have no way to type in /unstuck. :'( or /reloadui or anything. Does anybody know how i can toggle collision on and off to get out from being stuck in these rocks?

I cannot give up this character yet, because she has not put the bonus items from the Explorer pack in the bank yet and I will lose them, if i do nor rescue her from being stuck in the cold harbor tutorial. Please somebody help. There are lots of other people stuck in objects or rocks or the void already that can't get out.
    STORM-CATS =^..^=GUILD
    http://storm-cats.weebly.com/
    [Snowsong is using ROG G752VS on NA server.]
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slash key not working for you?

ESO revealed a heap of emotes a while back, I went through dozens of them, never had an issue. (/dancedrunk is still my fave)
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps

• kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any tips you'd like me to add to the list above?

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps

• Decora
    Decora
    snowsong wrote: »
    In previous ES games i could hit ~ tilde key to bring up the console for typing in console commands, but I can not figure out how to do it in ESo. I am unable to bring up anything that will let me type in anything (well except chat of course) so I have no way to type in /unstuck. :'( or /reloadui or anything. Does anybody know how i can toggle collision on and off to get out from being stuck in these rocks?

You don't have to open the console to use the commands in ESO - you do them right in the same box as the chat :)
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Added a few more tips. Thanks to those that sent them through. B)

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps

• kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another edit at 9:22am with more content.

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps

• Rotherhans
    Rotherhans
    ✭✭✭
    As crafter I´d say, never sell always recycle! :D
    Unless it´s got that sale price doubling perk.

With the mat stealing in this game you´ll always find yourself lacking mats.

Also don´t recycle out-leveled gear with the character that crafted it.
    An alt will get full "inspiration XP" for those while the crafter gets basically nothing back.
    “I'm not going out of my way looking for devils;
    but I wouldn't step out of my path to let one go by.”― Robert E. Howard
  • habbahen
    habbahen
    Actually regular drop from monsters gives good flow of raw materials. Recycle them all!!!
  • Aureli
    Aureli
    ✭✭✭
    snowsong wrote: »

Honest to god, I thought he was trolling.
  • BigDumbViking
    BigDumbViking
    ✭✭
    If you are crafting, don't forget to spend points in the crafting tree's.
    James Dalton - Nord Dragonknight

& Trusty Steed Roadhouse

• Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    where are the first places to find a bank?
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • mcatchlovb16_ESO
    mcatchlovb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I have a tip:
    If you get stuck in the PVP zone you can't use /stuck to get out.
    You must press L to bring up the Campaign screen and go to another Campaign as a Guest, then you can jump back into yours. It is the only way to get unstuck in that zone.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh nice. Thank you!
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭

As soon as you leave Coldharbor that first area will have the stable and the bank.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »

As soon as you leave Coldharbor that first area will have the stable and the bank.

Thanks... must be blind. lol
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »

Thanks... must be blind. lol

LOL, no worries. When you first come out of Coldharbor, it is a shock to the system, with all that color around you.
  • Jack_krowser
    Jack_krowser
    Soul Shriven
    Amen
  • Galvi
    Galvi
    Soul Shriven
    You can use the number keys on your keyboard to choose your dialogue answer instead of clicking on the text itself.
    1. (dialogue option 1)
    2. (dialogue option 2)
  • Sapphy24
    Sapphy24
    ✭✭✭
    Very helpful, thankyou kindly.
  • Harming
    Harming
    ✭✭✭
    For point 33 about leveling.
    The fastest way is actually grinding open world mobs in a small group of 3-4.
    Duengon and quest mobs do t work due to exp needs but large packs of world mobs give the fastest exp by far.
    We had a few level 50 players in guild withing the first 24 hours of early access by grinding. You miss out on many skill points this way though that u get from quest lines.
    ~Harming