The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help this MMO-noob build/re-structure their character

amotherscrime
amotherscrime
Soul Shriven
So let's face it, I'm actually an RPG player and I've been in it for the stories, not the leveling or anything like that. So therefore I haven't really ever been very mindful about character building. And I never could get used to the MMO lingo. All the damn abbreviations. "PVE" this, and "DPS" that. So every time I've actually sat down to try and learn, I've just gotten sick of it straight away. So I've ended up going with my gut. I've done the same with my Champion level 37 character so far. But then I reached champion level, and I had to start doing champion points. Something I really don't understand right now. And I haven't used any of the points I've earned so far because I want to do it right. Then again, my whole character build is probably off. Like I said, I went with my gut.

So please, ESO community, could you advise me in how to fix my character and especially how to proceed with these champion points? Should I be using my character differently?

Here are my specifications:

Race: Altmer (High Elf)
Class: Sorcerer
Role: Damage. But still using restoration staff.

Attributes
  • Magicka: 49
  • Health: 13
  • Stamina: 2

Boon: The Mage

Skills (That I use)
  • Dark Magic: 45 (Crystal Blast IV)
  • Daedric Summoning: 50 (Greater Storm Atronach IV, Summon Unstable Clannfear IV and when facing difficult opponents also summon Twilight Matriarch IV)
  • Storm Calling: 50 (Mages' Wrath IV, Power Surge IV and since recently trying out Liquid Lightning I)
  • Restoration Staff: 47 (rarely use any of these abilities since they suck, the staff in itself is awesome)
  • Mages Guild: 5 (waiting to unlock Fire Rune)

I've unlocked and maxed all racial skills, as well as the light armor skills.

So i've read a little and people generally seem to prefer destruction to restoration but I don't understand why. The restoration staff is basically recycling my magicka and health during the battle. If I didn't have that I'd be f*cked when I run out. So could someone explain to me why I should switch to destruction? And if not, is there a better way to use the restoration staff and it's seemingly useless active abilities?
And have I missed any other good active abilities that you would recommend?

I have both a skill and attribute re-specification that I've saved for this.

But most importantly and to my main question, where should I put my champion points? Do I have a limited amount that I have to choose wisely? And why do I receive as many points within the green spectrum as within blue and red (which I'd say I would focus on). Are there any bad choices to waste points on? Or do I need to upgrade them all equally? What would you recommend?
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.st Destro frontbar, resto backbar you have 2 bars use them! Destro gives you a spammable (force pulse and higher damage Single target, at least with inferno staff). Advanced players can easily sustain without resto by using proper cp allocation & getting back magica by killing stuff(Destro passive)
    Don't bother about cp until your cp 300 Min
    If yes go to a guide (deltia has some good leveling guides if I remember correctly)
    Don't bother spreading attributes put them all in magica as a thumb rule.
    Skill recommendations you'll always find on deltia gaming's website aswell. Good luck!
    P. S. More of a Stam player myself, I have played Magsorc before thou
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • amotherscrime
    amotherscrime
    Soul Shriven
    1.st Destro frontbar, resto backbar you have 2 bars use them! Destro gives you a spammable (force pulse and higher damage Single target, at least with inferno staff). Advanced players can easily sustain without resto by using proper cp allocation & getting back magica by killing stuff(Destro passive)
    Don't bother about cp until your cp 300 Min
    If yes go to a guide (deltia has some good leveling guides if I remember correctly)
    Don't bother spreading attributes put them all in magica as a thumb rule.
    Skill recommendations you'll always find on deltia gaming's website aswell. Good luck!
    P. S. More of a Stam player myself, I have played Magsorc before thou

Thanks for the reply! Can't believe I hadn't thought of using both. :s Good explenation as well. Didn't know that destro could recycle magicka as well.

But as for CP. What exactly do you mean "don't bother"? Should I not use any of the points until I'm at least CP level 300? And what do I do then? I reckon leveling with CP is pretty quick. I'm already at like 46 after half a day. I'd like to be prepared. And won't my character start to suck ass unless I use the CP points? But ultimately, where/how should I spend them and why?

Again, thanks a bunch for the reply! And apologies if I'm a bit slow.
  • keevil111
    keevil111
    ✭✭✭✭
    What he means is don't worry too much about it with so few CPs. You can always switch them later if you like. For now spread them into the apprentice in the blue tree for sure. The lover in the green tree. And whatever in the red. Again, pick what you want with no fear because you can always change them later.

Look at the passives in each constellation and add CPs to the ones you want to unlock.
    PS4 NA
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.xynodegaming.com/easy-mode-sorc

You cant wrong with this. I mean ok, you can, maybe, but take the time and listen and watch the WHOLE vid, lots of great info in there. Don't just cruise thru it for the juicy bits...its ALL juicy!!

One of the best Sorc builds around and many folks are using it, even if they deny it!! ;)
  • Mr_Wolfe
    Mr_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, easy mode sorc is great. I run a variation of it on my magsoc. Also, OP if you like those resto staff heavy attacks you should try a lightning destro, it works pretty much the same way but one of the passives makes it arcs off the main target and damage nearby enemies as well.