Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

PvE isn't difficult, it's just overwhelming.

maniacal1
maniacal1
✭✭
Monsters swarm you, with huge aggro ranges, hard-hitting ranged attacks and melee swings that, for some reason, still connect even when you're far away despite the fact that MY melee attacks often miss on things that are literally right infront of me. Also, I'm noticing a definite lag in response from when I push a button and when it fires off.

Basically, nothing was done to improve the combat from these issues that were well reported on in beta, and that sorta pisses me off. I don't want to feel like I'm pigeon-holed into a ranged or magic class just because they don't know how to fix melee.

I thought it was just my 2H Templar build, so at release I rolled a Nightblade using DW. But I still whiff things that are facing me, and I don't understand why. And when I get adds and try to invisible to get away for a moment's respite, it never fires off correctly...it's like I'm already dead, I'm just waiting for the monster to finish casting their spell. Anyone else getting this?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not having these issues.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    I'm not having these issues.

This, playing as a nightblade. In fact, I was just telling someone I thought the game settings were a little easy. When fighting two or more enemies, I do try to pin one of them down, and using my skills to take out the other one as soon as possible. But I can't recall whiffing anything.

One other note about difficulty: like other Elder Scrolls games, TESO becomes easier the more you take advantage of all the buffs you can get. My current nightblade has well-crafted equipment (at Level 6), used food and alchemy buffs, and enchantments. The total effect is quite devastating for level 6.

"Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm confused as this doesn't match my experience at all. Yes you have to be careful fighting multiple opponents but that is why you want to invest in at least some crowd control. Also blocking and interrupting can be a life saver though I still have problems on my timing of the interrupt move. Particularly against an opponent who is winding up that two-handed blow that will throw me back several feet. If I can pull off the interrupt you get them instead.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are having latency issues. I'm not having any of these problems - actually, I was surprised at how short the aggro range is. Latency could explain your whiffing as well as not realizing how close you walked to a mob.
  • maniacal1
    maniacal1
    ✭✭
    Maybe I should mention that I'm doing PvE missions and skyshards in cyrodil? Maybe that has a big effect on it? However it really bothers me that nobody else seems to be having the melee issue...I've got my cursor right on the enemy and distance is good. But I just seem that 2 out of every 3 manual attacks I do misses completely.

Dual-wielding axe and dagger, I come in stealthed and open up with Surprise Attack followed by Impale, which usually takes out the first enemy, and the other I have to trade blows with but I siphon health and win. 2 is no problem. But when a third and fourth come from out of nowhere, just randomly run around the corner at me, I get clobbered as I have no mana, my health is about 3/4, plus the whole missing thing. And if one is a caster they have those auto-lock missles that pepper me no matter how I dodge.

I dunno...maybe it's just me. I know if I switch to bow I have zero issues and can pretty much take anything, but with melee it seems a gamble.
    Edited by maniacal1 on April 5, 2014 5:28PM
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play a pure DPS sorcerer.

I have no defense whatsoever beyond rolling out of the way and timing my ice staff and CC precisely.

When Im overwhelmed I try:

* Using buffs via food, enhancing my armor/weapon, maximizing my range from enemies.
    * finding a group to work with

There's always options. Nerfing the game should be an absolute last recourse.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 5, 2014 5:41PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Eris
    Eris
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I play my sword and shield character, I noticed that sometimes I don't see things behind me and run up on a group of 2 critters and have another or 2 hit me from the rear. This is usually solved by my looking around to be sure I'm not about to pull aggro from something while charging something else.

Another is when fighting 2 wolves and one summons 2 more. A great tactic for that is to hit the summoned creatures, since they often go down in 1 hit each.

Just thoughts.
    Side effects of reading messages on forums can cause nausea, head aches, spontaneous fits of rage, urination due to intense laughter, and sometimes the death of your monitor or other object in throwing range. If you find that you are reading forums more than 24 hours a day, please consult your nearest temporal physicist.
  • koldmiser
    koldmiser
    Soul Shriven
    I will agree the agro range seems to be a fairly large radius. Otherwise I'm not having any of the other issues with combat and agree it sounds like a latency issue.
  • Srikandi
    Srikandi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aggro range in most games is dependent on the player's level relative to the enemy, with range decreasing as player outlevels the enemy... and I guess it's possible that if you aren't a true level 50 that's resulting in inflated aggro range in Cyrodiil. Don't know.

But I've seen a lot more complaints about combat being too easy than too hard, so I think you're in a minority, OP :/