The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Do You Think the Balancing Team is Doing a Good Job?

GuyNamedSean
GuyNamedSean
✭✭✭✭
Former Guildmaster of the Legion of Mournhold
XBL: GuyNamedSean
PC: GuyNamedSeanPC

Do You Think the Balancing Team is Doing a Good Job? 155 votes

Yes
29%
SolarikenIruil_ESOTurelusSavos_SarenkojouWolfpawTanis-StormbinderUPrimexcalibur007CinbriMinnoStrider__RoshinSugaComausmcjdkingkylewwefansusmitdsLakeIvan04Drdeath20Tasear 46 votes
No
70%
laurajfAnorielGilvothMoloch1514CresInklingsThrabenRikumaruMalthorneRavenSwornactoshHidesFromSunTommy83aeowulfZarycMalyckWolfchild07pieratsosJoosef_KivikilpiOreyn_Bearclaw 109 votes
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :lol::cry::lol::cry::lol::cry::lol::cry::lol::cry::lol::cry::lol::cry::lol::cry:
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
    Options
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If class balance is supposed to be a rolling sea they are doing great!
    EU PC
    Options
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I voted yes because there was only one "yes" and two "no". #Balance
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Overall yes, we're in a better (more balanced) place than we've been in some past builds.

However some of the changes made to get there have taken away from or altered ESO in a way not always popular.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Bladehawk
    Bladehawk
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I voted "Yes" to counterbalance the inevitable sea of "No" votes coming in. I'm Metacritic!
    Options
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and No, there are good changes, but they are overshadowed by stuff that shouldnt exist at a game with relatively fast combat (cast times I'm looking at you)
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
    Options
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Seems like balance will be a bit better in Murkmire.

The two top performing builds (NBs) got a bit of a nerf, a lot of other builds got buffed. Especially on the stamina DPS side of the fence, I think there will be a much more diverse crew in a lot of groups rather than just nothing but stamblades. Magicka DPS ... I don't know, seems like it's going to be mostly magblades still with a sprinkling of magplars. MagDK is still SOL due to melee range and sustain issues, magsorcs are a joke, and while magwardens seem to be better than before (at least in my parses) they still can't compete with magblades and magplars.

Beyond that, a separate question relates to class/build diversity in groups. I do think that diversity will be better in Murkmire than it has in the past, but it's forced via the buffs to Minor effects (Minor Toughness from Wardens, Minor Prophecy for Sorcs, etc.).
    Edited by LiquidPony on September 26, 2018 3:35PM
    Options
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't dichotomize it into yes or no. I feel like they make coarse adjustments where fine adjustments would be more advantageous at times.

Balance is a mythical creature that we wont see, and if we did it would scenery on the side of the road we glanced at as we sped past it on our way to our next point of imbalance. The ultimate responsibility, and ability, to move us closer to or further away from balance lies with ZOS, but I dont expect them to ever hit the mark.
    Options
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up until Wolfhunter I'd have said yes.

With Wolfhunter it was a "maybe ... there is some fishy stuff going on but it might jsut be a lapse"

With Murkmire PTS it a definite NO and "too bad it wasn't a lapse but the prelude to a lot of ****** ideas"
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I would love to say yes, but...

The fundamental problem with the balance team is that they refuse to stop biting off more than they can chew. There have been several times throughout this game when balance was pretty darn good. Every time that happens, however, they decide to alter fundamental game mechanics with broad sweeping changes that throw the game out of whack for 6 months to a year.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on September 26, 2018 4:26PM
    Options
  • RedRook
    RedRook
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I would love to say yes, but...

The fundamental problem with the balance team is that they refuse to stop biting off more than they can chew. There have been several times throughout this game when balance was pretty darn good. Every time that happens, however, they decide to alter fundamental game mechanics with broad sweeping changes that throw the game out of whack for 6 months to a year.

^ What he said.

I'm sure they have their reasons. I don't hate them, don't think they're stupid (I do wish they'd actually play the game, on the live server with everybody else, a LOT more) - but no. I don't like the overall trend they seem to be going for, and I don't like the "every three months we take a sledgehammer to something" approach they favor.
    Options
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Their goal of getting their players to create alts is working perfectly. Keep them spending money
    Edited by Drdeath20 on September 26, 2018 4:34PM
    Options
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    The main problems I have are the fact that they 1. try to do much at once 2. simply refuse to go back on changes no matter how bad they are for at least a patch or two (if ever.)
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    As everyone else already stated, my main issues are:

1. They don't play the game
    2. They take a scorched earth approach to balancing, even when it isn't needed
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on September 26, 2018 4:56PM
    Options
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    If ZOS actually does what they said they would at the class rep meeting then maybe I won't say "no"
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
    Options
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    They are overcorrecting with most changes.

Take nightblades for example, most had begun using Refreshing Path over Twisting Path again after Summerset. Not because Refreshing was so much better, but because new mechanics (particularly in Cloudrest) necessitated the self and group healing. I understand the action of widening the damage difference between Twisting and Refreshing to make it a harder decision which morph to choose, and 10-20% change in damage would have been a good starting point. Instead Refreshing Path received a 100% removal of damage. There’s no tough choice now, really no options at all. If you are a DD you must take Twisting, if you are a NB healer you must take Refreshing.

They did nearly the same thing for Funnel Health, by cutting its damage by 50%. They could have achieved a much better result by reducing it by 10-20%, which would have made DD’s choose between more damage or more utility (much like Crushing Shock vs Force Pulse). But nope, it had to be fixed with a sledgehammer, in such a way that no DD will ever slot Funnel Health.

Look at the latest shield nerfs. It is debatable whether or not shields were overperforming, but assuming they were the values could have been adjusted slightly. Instead what did we get:
    - Crittable shields
    - Delayed shields
    - Shields consume 2 GCDs
    - Shields can be interrupted (later partially walked back in PvP only)
    - Shields force user to drop block, making them bulnerable to stuns and other mechanics (good luck shielding while blocking that incoming meteor)

And the only counterbalance to all this was that shields get added resistance, which is low for a light armor user, generally less than an opponents penetration in PvP.
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I really don't want to start a massive debate in the thread but this one always bugs me because it's demonstrably false.
    Rich plays the game and as the creative director has a lot of say over these changes. Other ZOS staff have confirmed in the past they play, with a number sharing their experiences of play on social media.
    I could concede on that maybe they don't mainly play X with Y class, but can we please stop spreading the misinformation that they don't play the game.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • ruikkarikun
    ruikkarikun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Remove cast time.
    Options
  • troomar
    troomar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both yes and no.

Yes for DPS classes.
    No for tanks and healers.
    Yes.
    Options
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Turelus wrote: »

I really don't want to start a massive debate in the thread but this one always bugs me because it's demonstrably false.
    Rich plays the game and as the creative director has a lot of say over these changes. Other ZOS staff have confirmed in the past they play, with a number sharing their experiences of play on social media.
    I could concede on that maybe they don't mainly play X with Y class, but can we please stop spreading the misinformation that they don't play the game.

Well honestly... They don't. Not to the same degree needed to make the changes they try to make.

Rich does vMA and stuff like but I'm fairly sure that most the devs are very casual players which is part of why ZOS is always making changes that cater to casuals.

They are largely ignorant of anything other than casual play. And that's what the class reps are for!
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
    Options
  • RedRook
    RedRook
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    NyassaV wrote: »

Well honestly... They don't. Not to the same degree needed to make the changes they try to make.

Rich does vMA and stuff like but I'm fairly sure that most the devs are very casual players which is part of why ZOS is always making changes that cater to casuals.

They are largely ignorant of anything other than casual play. And that's what the class reps are for!

It would be cool if they were willing to ask the reps for input. "We think X is happening too much, and we're going to make some changes. How would you adjust that if it were up to you? We think Y is overpowered, we think Class A is dominating too much in this particular area, we think healers have the Sads and we're going to make changes, what would work here do you think?" At the very least, these are good players who would certainly have a perspective on these things, based on gameplay, different from the devs'. No promises to do anything they suggest, but at least ask them. Why not, they're right there in front of you willing to do that, no?

Again: too much pride. What they're doing is better than the nothing they were doing before, but what a wasted opportunity.

(Edited for typos which are totally the autocomplete's fault and not me, I would never.)
    Edited by RedRook on September 26, 2018 5:29PM
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

They're probably never going to clock up the hours that we do as players, but the myth they don't know what they're doing because they don't play is false. If you consider completing veteran trials and DLC dungeons as casual then I think we see very different views of casual play.
    They've even spoken/shared PvP experience before, I've seen them sharing battlegrounds scores on Twitter in the past so they do play and PvP.
    Also what about Gilliam, isn't he now part of the combat team and would you say he's been a casual player?

The point I am trying to make is that "ZOS doesn't play the game" is an easy slander you can say but does nothing but spread misinformation and fuel fires. If people have issues with changes they need to focus on that rather than statements which only spread more misinformation.

There also comes a point where listening to players (and class reps) isn't good for the games health or the game they want. If we had ZOS balance around everything the class reps wanted for example it would be very specific to one groups views of how the game should be played. People may not like catering to casual or non-endgame players but they are part of the community and need to have their views also seen and addressed.

I won't argue that ZOS doesn't do stupid changes from time to time or go full on smashing apart things to try and fix them, just that when we do engage in conversations like this one we stop and try to focus on issues rather than spreading misinformation and slandering them.
    Options
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    The answer is not as easy as "yes" or "no", obviously. Some of the reasons I'm overall tending to vote "no" are:

1) They break stuff that is working just to follow random new design decisions that don't improve gameplay from player pov (i.e.: stun + damage = no go)
    2) They value power creep more than continuous long term balancing approach (i.e.: raising CP cap leads to classes getting weaker over time)
    3) They dont value balance as a very important standalone asset (huge gamechanging balance patches to please certain subsets of players instead of small, continuos improvements of existing mechanics)
    4) They are not consistent with their reasons for changes across classes and patches and tend to change their mind too much (i.e.: buff heavy attacks, nerf heavy attacks and rinse repeat)
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
    Options
  • keevil111
    keevil111
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I voted yes! Overall they have been doing great. Sure some classes or abilities take an a** whoopin' every now and then but it's whatever.

PLAY ON!

PS4 NA
    Options
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, I do.

What does seem to be a big crux of the problem is that the Item team, Combat team, Dungeon team and PVP team work too independently from eachother, leaving each one in a reactionary position in relation to each other.
    Options
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Overall yes, we're in a better (more balanced) place than we've been in some past builds.

However some of the changes made to get there have taken away from or altered ESO in a way not always popular.

No we aren't.

PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
    Options
  • aeowulf
    aeowulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    generally yes, but there are some very lacking areas. All of the underdogs seem to get forgotten about because their voice on the forums is relatively minor - Class combo's like DK healer, NB/sorc tank. I would of added templar tank but I have a gut feeling @Joy_Division has been somewhat responsible for getting them some help this patch.
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    The reason I say no is that, yet again, they are making sweeping changes that no one can possibly foresee and resolve all the consequences of before this goes live. This may be very cynical, but how did the 1s cast time, now reverted, make it into the original patch? Are they really so clueless as to not see that, aside from actual problems caused, that simply sucks the joy out of the gameplay? Was it planned from the beginning to revoke this, so everyone would complain about that and their other whims fly under the radar? It's fine to see the class rep system in action. It's not fine to see the numerous mentions of things left undiscussed for lack of time.

Balancing the game is not even their objective, whether ZOS realise it themselves or not. Balancing might mean that you work around the edges until you have all existing mechanics smoothed out, and adjusted all the existing armor sets, without adding anything new. That's not their business model. This is not a subscription-required game. They need to sell new stuff. Thus every patch we get new armor sets that up the ante, such as Soldier of Anguish and Spell Strategist, while many old sets have become irrelevant. It is not in ZOS' interest to balance the game such that your current character and playstyle remains competitive. Whether it's conscious, I don't know, but their business model includes people chasing the new meta and letting the players find the new OP stuff every patch. I wouldn't say this, if they, for example, had nerfed Sloads a week after Summerset going live. But they don't do that. They never do. They only balance old imbalances with the next major patch that includes the next "unforeseen" imbalances.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    This thread made me smile~ If getting long time players to leave the game was their idea of balance, then gg Zos~°·
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No

They're probably never going to clock up the hours that we do as players, but the myth they don't know what they're doing because they don't play is false. If you consider completing veteran trials and DLC dungeons as casual then I think we see very different views of casual play.
    They've even spoken/shared PvP experience before, I've seen them sharing battlegrounds scores on Twitter in the past so they do play and PvP.
    Also what about Gilliam, isn't he now part of the combat team and would you say he's been a casual player?

The point I am trying to make is that "ZOS doesn't play the game" is an easy slander you can say but does nothing but spread misinformation and fuel fires. If people have issues with changes they need to focus on that rather than statements which only spread more misinformation.

There also comes a point where listening to players (and class reps) isn't good for the games health or the game they want. If we had ZOS balance around everything the class reps wanted for example it would be very specific to one groups views of how the game should be played. People may not like catering to casual or non-endgame players but they are part of the community and need to have their views also seen and addressed.

I won't argue that ZOS doesn't do stupid changes from time to time or go full on smashing apart things to try and fix them, just that when we do engage in conversations like this one we stop and try to focus on issues rather than spreading misinformation and slandering them.
    I just get the feeling that, with Gilliam there, instead of fine tuning, they have used the additional manpower to produce one of the biggest sledgehammer patches in a while. I don't play magsorc, and I don't like going up against certain sorcs in PvP, but even I can see they've been smashed to bits. It's like they generated all these ideas and, instead of carefully weighing the options, they implemented them all. I consider shields on the other magicka classes quite balanced (can only speak for PvP and vMA). Every time I see shields being tampered with, I see endless discussions about sorcs and shield stacking, yet ZOS continue to hit all magicka classes with shield changes.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options