The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Coming back from long hiatus. Crafting question.

Marcusito
Marcusito
✭✭✭
The writ/crafting currency. Is the only way to get this currency is through the Seal Writs?

I’ve got 7 crafters with level 50 on 6 crafts. There seems to be some degradation RNG on how many sealed writs you get the longer you complete th crafting dailies. I’m completing 42 crafting dailies a day getting maybe one map, one sealed writ and 2 legendary mats. I’m also getting low level mats for rewards. Is this normal? My hirelings are doing a better job now for getting mats than these writs. I was getting at least 2 sealed writs a day, more maps and more legendary mats.

Jewelrycrafting. I can’t decon my old rings, bad overall move. Also no hirelings for mats and the mining completes with mining nodes. Do I have that wrong? Jewelry crafting seems to be a X 10 magnitude of difficulty in leveling. I haven’t gotten to max level yet but I’m doing the research. For experienced crafters that invested the time in getting max level this shouldn’t be such a chore I’ve experienced so far. It seems so much worse than the others. At least add hirelings to make it worthwhile.

Combine low level tempers mats to make high level. It would be nice to have a crafting quest line with skill points to enable an ability to transmute low level tempers to high level ones. I’m killing it on dailies and getting relatively nothing from doing these crafting dailies wasting 100s is high level mats.
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    Writ vouchers come from doing sealed writs (master writs) and turning them in. However, most of the things you can get from that, you can also get from browsing guild stores and buying from those traders. Indeed, if you find that you can't get adequate writ vouchers, you might be able to convince a guildmate to trade you an item from the writ vendor in exchange for gold.

@Alassirana
    Sneakybo, ExSO_Gold, Demure Dragon Dealings
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think they realized that many people were hoarding rings and didn't want people to max jewelry levels on day one of the new system. Not that it mattered that much; it only took two/three days to have people announcing they made it to level 50 anyway.

Master writs are very much rng; one day a couple weeks ago I got a master writ for every normal writ I turned in. Then I got none for a week.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Marcusito welcome back!

Just because it hasn't been stated already:
    - Doing dolmens is the fastest way to level jewellery crafting ... if that's to dull (understandably) buy jewellery from ppl that do dolmens.

- The number of full motifs known by a crafter does increase the number of MasterWrits this crafter receives (not the MasterWrit value (amount of voucher) tho). Just like the number of crafting achievements (including those for furnishing).

- Surveys help to keep ressouce costs for daily writs low, but they are handed out by RNGnius so you need to do the crafting dailies on several chars to profit from "material-return" through surveys (... and always collect ressources with the char that reflects the level of material you need i.e. if you have tons of jute and need ancestor silk : take your level 50 char to collect tailor-surveys, not the level 10 mate :D ). I run 6 crafter and have little trouble with mats, getting short on one sort of mats is usually linked to crafting sets for sale/guildies or working down a number of MasterWrits, rather then doing crafting dailies.

- Handing in level 50 dailys has a (good) chance to give you golden mats (kuta, temper, dreugh wax, grain of chromium) ... imo often enough to make it worth doing daily crafting writs on a regular basis.

Hope this helps, good luck!
  • Marcusito
    Marcusito
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. I’ve been reading some more threads and seems it is just general RNG that is impacting my crafting dailies. Some people are scoring more legendary mats than others. I remember it being this way before, just luck of the draw.

Looking forward to getting a house with a crafting tables but it seems like it is going to be a long road ahead.
  • Marcusito
    Marcusito
    ✭✭✭
    - The number of full motifs known by a crafter does increase the number of MasterWrits this crafter receives (not the MasterWrit value (amount of voucher) tho). Just like the number of crafting achievements (including those for furnishing).

Good to know, I’ve have some work cut out for me then.
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    I have 1 toon that does max level writs and 3 that do level 1 writs (and max level alc & pro writs). The drop rate for alc, pro, & enc master writs is absolute trash. On my main crafter I probably get an average of 2 master writs per week and on all the toons the drop rate for gold upgrade mats seems to be 1 per craft per week and about 1/2 that with maps. That means on 7 max level toons in a day you should basically be averaging 2 master writs, 4 gold upgrade materials (counting kuta), and 3 maps.

You might have just hit a streak of bad RNG or only think about the days you get none and not about the days where you get 4 writs, 8 upgrade, & 6 maps.
    Starfire Protocol lvl 50 NB Redmage healer - Main + Master Crafter
    Gives Good Heed lvl 50 Warden Super Buff Healer
    Crafty Smyth lvl 50 Stamblade Poison Assassin - Farmer
    Everyon's Pal Adin lvl 44 Templar Splash Healer
    Stands Against Danger lvl 16 DK Tank -ex mule
    Matriarch Tamer lvl 18 Baby Sorc Healer
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    Depending on what server you're on, you could very well score an invite into a guild that has a full 'crafting hall'. My primary guild has one, one of my secondaries has a partial, and i'm working on a partial for a 3rd guild. These halls typically have all crafting stations (mine is currently at 15 jewelry tables, plus every other 'set' and the consumables tables) and many also have a transmute station and Mundus Stones. It never hurts to be in a good guild.

@Alassirana
    SneakyBo, ExSO_Gold, Demure Dragon Dealings
    (PC/NA, if that's needed)
  • Marcusito
    Marcusito
    ✭✭✭
    db0ssman wrote: »
    I have 1 toon that does max level writs and 3 that do level 1 writs (and max level alc & pro writs). The drop rate for alc, pro, & enc master writs is absolute trash. On my main crafter I probably get an average of 2 master writs per week and on all the toons the drop rate for gold upgrade mats seems to be 1 per craft per week and about 1/2 that with maps. That means on 7 max level toons in a day you should basically be averaging 2 master writs, 4 gold upgrade materials (counting kuta), and 3 maps.

You might have just hit a streak of bad RNG or only think about the days you get none and not about the days where you get 4 writs, 8 upgrade, & 6 maps.

Fair enough, I did hit a decent streak when I can back on. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything.

All of that said I really like the crafting system ESO has. I do feel there is some reward for those that focus and put time into it.
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    Marcusito wrote: »

Fair enough, I did hit a decent streak when I can back on. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything.

All of that said I really like the crafting system ESO has. I do feel there is some reward for those that focus and put time into it.

I like the system too. I just kind of wish it was a little more useful/popular. It kind of reminds me of the analogy 'wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle.' Most people can level a crafter to do anything they need in a couple of weeks (upgrade stuff & make pots/food). You can know 1000 recipes, but most people that invest enough time in the game to furnish a house just buy from the crown store or have someone they know make everything. You can learn a 100 different motifs, but people tend to be bound to matching whatever world sets they want. That means despite doing all this stuff to level my crafter and become more proficient, I basically only make training armor for people and do writs.

Maybe if we get the free house, that will change since more casual people will actually get a place worth furnishing.
  • Marcusito
    Marcusito
    ✭✭✭

I like the system too. I just kind of wish it was a little more useful/popular. It kind of reminds me of the analogy 'wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle.' Most people can level a crafter to do anything they need in a couple of weeks (upgrade stuff & make pots/food). You can know 1000 recipes, but most people that invest enough time in the game to furnish a house just buy from the crown store or have someone they know make everything. You can learn a 100 different motifs, but people tend to be bound to matching whatever world sets they want. That means despite doing all this stuff to level my crafter and become more proficient, I basically only make training armor for people and do writs.

Maybe if we get the free house, that will change since more casual people will actually get a place worth furnishing.

Update: I got two sealed writs this morning out of 42 level 50 crafting dailies. A few legendary mats and a few crafting maps. Seems it is just RNG. I still get Psjiic Ambrosia pieces as well but they seem to be very rare now.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The writ/crafting currency. Is the only way to get this currency is through the Seal Writs?

I’ve got 7 crafters with level 50 on 6 crafts. There seems to be some degradation RNG on how many sealed writs you get the longer you complete th crafting dailies. I’m completing 42 crafting dailies a day getting maybe one map, one sealed writ and 2 legendary mats. I’m also getting low level mats for rewards. Is this normal? My hirelings are doing a better job now for getting mats than these writs. I was getting at least 2 sealed writs a day, more maps and more legendary mats.

Jewelrycrafting. I can’t decon my old rings, bad overall move. Also no hirelings for mats and the mining completes with mining nodes. Do I have that wrong? Jewelry crafting seems to be a X 10 magnitude of difficulty in leveling. I haven’t gotten to max level yet but I’m doing the research. For experienced crafters that invested the time in getting max level this shouldn’t be such a chore I’ve experienced so far. It seems so much worse than the others. At least add hirelings to make it worthwhile.

Combine low level tempers mats to make high level. It would be nice to have a crafting quest line with skill points to enable an ability to transmute low level tempers to high level ones. I’m killing it on dailies and getting relatively nothing from doing these crafting dailies wasting 100s is high level mats.

Just to be clear. Having the crafting skills to level 50 means nothing if you're not doing max-tier daily writs. AKA - You must have all 10/10 skill points put into the first passive of woodworking, blacksmithing, and clothing, and alchemy, and 6/6 (might be off on the number here) for enchanting and provisioning to have a chance at sealed master writs.

Not saying you aren't, but make sure every character is doing writs that require rubedite, rubedo/ancestor silk, ruby ash, rejera runes, Lorkhan's tears and CP50-150 food. If not, you'll never get a sealed master writ on those characters, and your chances for gold tempers are also greatly reduced.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Marcusito
    Marcusito
    ✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

Just to be clear. Having the crafting skills to level 50 means nothing if you're not doing max-tier daily writs. AKA - You must have all 10/10 skill points put into the first passive of woodworking, blacksmithing, and clothing, and alchemy, and 6/6 (might be off on the number here) for enchanting and provisioning to have a chance at sealed master writs.

Not saying you aren't, but make sure every character is doing writs that require rubedite, rubedo/ancestor silk, ruby ash, rejera runes, Lorkhan's tears and CP50-150 food. If not, you'll never get a sealed master writ on those characters, and your chances for gold tempers are also greatly reduced.

Yes, I have all the skill points maxed out.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I have all the skill points maxed out.

Okay, I was just checking.

With that in mind:

For the the material crafting skills (bs, cloth, ww) your chances to get master writs is also increased by each character's knowledge of complete motifs (individual chapters don't matter until you've learned the entire style, and the blue, basic racial styles don't count either), number of traits researched, and overall completion of relevant crafting achievements for each line.

Enchanting and alchemy is based on associated achievements and translation of runes/ingredients.

Provisioning is affected by associated achievements and number of purple/gold recipes known.

Overall crafting achievements also weigh in across the board (like master harvester, master refiner, etc)

Furnishing plan knowledge and furnishing associated achievements are claimed NOT to increase your chance at master writs.

Anecdotal claims below - take with a grain of salt:

Trait research seems to have a much greater effect than motif knowledge. So don't worry about dumping money to learn a ton of motifs on all your alts. The four basic purples (daedric, barbaric, ancient elf and primal) and maybe some of the cheaper ones (assassin's league, Xivkin, Imperial, hollowjack) are pretty easy to track down, but don't spend millions per alt just to try and boost your chances a few percentage points.

Provisioning has the lowest return on investment for money spent acquiring recipes vs number of writ vouchers returned. I have every recipe in the game aside from the aetherial ambrosias, and I get 0-1 provisioning master writs per week, and a majority of those are only for 2 writ vouchers. In my opinion, you're better off respeccing your alts' provisioning skill to get back the mid-tier recipes 30-CP50 to sell in traders and then buy master writs with the gold. A typical blue recipe in that range can go for 4-7k, and purples go for 10-20k (XB-NA prices), and there a far fewer recipes to dilute the pool at those levels, so your chances of getting a blue/purple are much greater.

Enchanting is the cheapest overall, but still doesn't produce many master writs.

Alchemy is a pain in the burro without addons, and the ones that call for poisons waste 12 poisons per master writ due the required amounts.

Anyway, those are just my personal thoughts on the matter.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I do and it works well for me, but to each their own. I actually don't bother upgrading the craftable level on equipment writs for my alts and then do the daily writs on them and pocket the gold. ( I get them up to 50 and unlock hirelings, but not the craftable level) The main reason I do it this way is that cp 150 craftable mats cost enough that you end up either breaking even or losing gold for each writ. Since you only get a couple of master writs per week from those and the vast majority of the time they are low voucher ones, you actually end up ahead by doing level 1 writs vs. level 10 writs. If you look at it this way, on a cp 160 toon you get 660 gold for turning in a writ and enough mats that you actually have more mats than you started out with on level 1 stuff. Those 4 writs give you like 2800 gold which means you could basically buy 7 low level writs with the gold you save each week vs. getting 2 through RNG. This really doesn't hold up that well if your alt crafters are like level 5, but if you max them out I prefer the set gold to the hope of hitting a 80 voucher master writ which doesn't happen very often.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's sad is I'm getting about 1 Master Jewelry Writ every few days, have like 15 in the bank. On all other crafts I get maybe one between all of them once a week or so. I only do daily writs on one toon since I just started playing a few months ago.

The sadder thing is the jewelry writs require Epic and I've yet to get enough purple plating to set my own jewelry to purple much less the writs and I've been level 50 in JC for about a month and half. I suppose I can buy the plating but that just doesn't sit well with me.

I refined 500 plat dust last week and got one gold grain and 2 purple. Last night I refined 900 and had the same result. It's crazy.
  • Marcusito
    Marcusito
    ✭✭✭
    I would at least like to see hirelings for the jewelcrafting mats. They did it for the others, you’d at least get another chance at the materials.