The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

vMA PetSorc build. Looking for a build critique, and tips on clearing the final boss.

md3788
md3788
✭✭✭
I know this has been covered greatly, but I have some specific questions about the stage 9 final boss:
  • When I teleport up, should I be trying to hit the boss from range while destroying the crystals, or focusing on just the crystals?
  • Is it normal to get knocked off 4-5 times before finishing off the crystals?
  • After the crystals are destroyed, will the boss teleport up again and start the crystal phase over?

Second, my build:

oqOIsIq.jpg

• IA - This build is based primarily around heavy attacks so thought this would be a good choice
  • Lover mundus – I wanted to get to 9k pen without using too many CP into erosion. Since I’m not at max CP, I’m trying to conserve as much as possible. Would I be better off using Apprentice?
  • 58 points into Magicka – I had to sacrifice some Magicka to make myself a little tankier. Still don’t have Undaunted Mettle on this character.
  • CP - Open to any suggestions about reallocating some points.
  • Skills - Open to any suggestions about changing skills (a few that are slotted aren't leveled up fully).
Edited by md3788 on September 25, 2018 2:44PM
vFG1 HM
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I teleport up, should I be trying to hit the boss from range while destroying the crystals, or focusing on just the crystals?
    Ignore the boss, he cannot be damaged while you're up top. Focus the crystals down as fast as you can but don't blow your ult on them.
    Is it normal to get knocked off 4-5 times before finishing off the crystals?
    Generally a good strategy is to watch for his channeled attack (where he throws a skull at you) and either block or roll-dodge it. This prevents you from getting knocked off and allows you to keep DPS up on the crystals. Also, there is a pattern to it:
    When you first go up, he will fire 1 skull at you, then charge up to blast you off the platform, when he is charging up, find the shield he spawns that circles the arena and stay behind it, that will prevent you from getting knocked off by his blast attack. After this initial blast, he will cast 2 more skulls at you, then blast, and repeat. Generally you should only ever see 2 or 3 of these phases.
    After the crystals are destroyed, will the boss teleport up again and start the crystal phase over?
    No, after the boss goes down, grab the shield and power sigil immediately and throw your destro ult on him. He will not go back up and you need to kill him as fast as you can. Do not let him collect ghosts, and ignore all other adds.

Edit: I should also note that if you don't want to use the sigils, the best strategy is to inturrupt him immediately to prevent him from casting skulls at you, wait for him to teleport, then destro ult on him. This way he stays in one place long enough to get the full effect of it.

Edit2: While i'm at it I would like to recommend you switch to blue food though, as a pet sorc you should have plenty of sustain through heavy attacks (if not you need to work on getting in more heavy attacks). This will give you more health and more max magicka which means you'll do more damage.

In terms of your build you're sitting pretty, here is mine for a reference, (not saying you have to follow it, just use whatever skills fit your playstyle)

5tiWXZR.jpg
    Edited by codestripper on September 25, 2018 2:56PM
    Since everyone seems to be doing this,
    DPS Builds:
    - Magicka Sorcerer (Pet) [Flawless Conqueror @ 565CP] - 582k
    - Magicka Nightblade [Flawless Conqueror @ 780CP] - 575k
    - Stamina Sorcerer [Flawless Conqueror @ 420CP] - 560k
    - Magicka Classless [Flawless Conqueror @ 810CP] - 540k
    - Magicka Templar [Stormproof] - 550k
    - Magicka Warden [Stormproof] - 510k
    - Stamina Templar [In Development]
    - Stamina DK [In Development]
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    When I teleport up, should I be trying to hit the boss from range while destroying the crystals, or focusing on just the crystals?
    Ignore the boss, he cannot be damaged while you're up top. Focus the crystals down as fast as you can but don't blow your ult on them.
    Is it normal to get knocked off 4-5 times before finishing off the crystals?
    Generally a good strategy is to watch for his channeled attack (where he throws a skull at you) and either block or roll-dodge it. This prevents you from getting knocked off and allows you to keep DPS up on the crystals. Also, there is a pattern to it:
    When you first go up, he will fire 1 skull at you, then charge up to blast you off the platform, when he is charging up, find the shield he spawns that circles the arena and stay behind it, that will prevent you from getting knocked off by his blast attack. After this initial blast, he will cast 2 more skulls at you, then blast, and repeat. Generally you should only ever see 2 or 3 of these phases.
    After the crystals are destroyed, will the boss teleport up again and start the crystal phase over?
    No, after the boss goes down, grab the shield and power sigil immediately and throw your destro ult on him. He will not go back up and you need to kill him as fast as you can. Do not let him collect ghosts, and ignore all other adds.

Edit: I should also note that if you don't want to use the sigils, the best strategy is to inturrupt him immediately to prevent him from casting skulls at you, wait for him to teleport, then destro ult on him. This way he stays in one place long enough to get the full effect of it.

Edit2: While i'm at it I would like to recommend you switch to blue food though, as a pet sorc you should have plenty of sustain through heavy attacks (if not you need to work on getting in more heavy attacks). This will give you more health and more max magicka which means you'll do more damage.

In terms of your build you're sitting pretty, here is mine for a reference, (not saying you have to follow it, just use whatever skills fit your playstyle)

Also, there is a pattern to it:

Just what I needed. I did not know there was a shield and now I can't wait to give it another try.

This is something I need to work on. I'm still pretty inexperienced in the arena so I run out of magicka very quick from using shields. A few times I teleported up and had almost 0 magicka to put AOE on the crystals. I ended up putting a few points in to health so I could use Witchmothers but I will adjust this as I get more comfortable.

@codestripper
    vFG1 HM
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    md3788 wrote: »
    This is something I need to work on. I'm still pretty inexperienced in the arena so I run out of magicka very quick from using shields. A few times I teleported up and had almost 0 magicka to put AOE on the crystals. I ended up putting a few points in to health so I could use Witchmothers but I will adjust this as I get more comfortable.

Something that might also help is getting a vampire bite. You will take some more fire damage but honestly, it's pretty negligible. Even more so that you're a dark elf like me. It's hardly noticeable and you get the extra 10% magicka and stamina regen for free. The undeath passive is also pretty nice tbh. Another thing that might help is grabbing the regen sigil (trophy) before going up, not only does it give you insane health regen, it also boosts your magicka regen. I used to do this when first learning the stage.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I've been playing pet sorc for almost 4 years now, an I've run this arena too many times to count lol.
    Edited by codestripper on September 25, 2018 4:04PM
    DPS Builds:
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭

Something that might also help is getting a vampire bite. You will take some more fire damage but honestly, it's pretty negligible. Even more so that you're a dark elf like me. It's hardly noticeable and you get the extra 10% magicka and stamina regen for free. The undeath passive is also pretty nice tbh. Another thing that might help is grabbing the regen sigil (trophy) before going up, not only does it give you insane health regen, it also boosts your magicka regen. I used to do this when first learning the stage.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I've been playing pet sorc for almost 4 years now, an I've run this arena too many times to count lol.

@codestripper Very good point, I have been a vampire for so long on my other characters that I completely forgot about the passive for mag recovery. And as far as the regen sigil, I had no idea that adds magicka regen. I thought it was just health. Thanks again!
    vFG1 HM
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used exactly the same build for weeks on this fight and failed evetytime

Swap IA for spinners to get more penetration (some people say IA is a broken set and only useful for healers).

Also put a lot more points into thick skinned because most of the damage are dots.

Tri stat food and potions helps a lot here so you don't run out of stamina when doing the crystals which involves a lot of dodge rolling and sprinting.

Don't try to block the bosses attacks when up top because the ground aoe will come under you - better to dodge roll

Try not to get knocked off. Although it resets the dot you might not have enough resources to deal with the daedroth and clanfear at the same time. Best to get crystals done all in one go and it will be easier with spinners and more penetration

As for skills twilight matriarch, volatile familiar, elemental blockade hardened ward and crushing shock and destro ultimate is all you need. Just put blockade down, heavy attack and keep shield up

Look on you tube for the one bar pet mag sorc clear by mistress of apocrypha

Finally try get it finished before they add a cast time to shields
    Edited by rumple9 on September 25, 2018 7:27PM
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    @codestripper have you tested the mage Mundus? I’ve heard it’s best on petsorc
    vFG1 HM
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @codestripper have you tested the mage Mundus? I’ve heard it’s best on petsorc

M8yB8gM.png

vqnrNjm.png
    DPS Builds: