The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Almost heresy topic - Why you don't need a minimap

Dorreah
Dorreah
✭✭✭
Hey guys,

I was just wandering about Add-ons and these sort of thing. Sometimes complicated downloads, patches, new version etc. Are they really so necessary? Besides I realized that I don't need minimap at all. And now don't get me wrong! It is a very helpfull tool and nearly necessary aspect of every RPG game. BUT... what are you looking at the most time during the play. Isn't that minimap? Ok, you need to check if there are shards, books, quests etc. But isn't the whole atmosphere of the game, every detail, sound, buildings, hidden jokes... just overlooked thanks to constant checking your way? You can always check the map when you stop for a while and look at it. I threw away that minimap recently and the game just felt a bit more immersive thanks to focusing on details. No more haste with capturing/taking everything around me and that kind of stuff. Well, maybe it is just my changed attitude to gaming (you know, to play more chillin' way) but still... Maybe this is the reason why the original game doesn't include minimap, just that quest compas, for a reason - to enjoy the game with less haste (or something).

What do you think about it?
Anyway, have a good time playing ESO!
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get ya, but people don't seem to want to play that way , they want to grind / power level / rush through it all.

The place I'd like a mini map is PVP for seeing group mates. But its not vital
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minimaps aren't Elder Scrollsey to me, so I don't use one. No hate for those that do.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Dorreah
    Dorreah
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »

The place I'd like a mini map is PVP for seeing group mates. But its not vital

Yeah, exactly. I was talking more about "non-competive" content :smile: It is not bad from time to time just play casual and have fun.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I find glancing up at the little map in the corner less disruptive than stopping and hitting M and having the map take up the entire screen every time I don't know where the hell I'm going. Which happens a lot.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I need the mini-map because I am directionally challenged. Even if I'm just trying to get to the stables to upgrade my mount, without the mini-map I will wind up on the opposite side of the map from where I need to be.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as everything has a toggle, I have no issues with people playing the way they want.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the mini map because … well look at my characters names. LOL

And as far as "complicated downloads, patches, new version etc.". That's what Minion is for.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a console player who cant use add ons i can say non of them are needed, they help but you certainly dont need any of those :wink:
    Edited by sudaki_eso on September 26, 2018 10:10AM
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the minimap two ways.

1. PVP - excellent for tracking my group
    2. PVE - in dungeons, excellent for tracking my group. Its really useful for seeing when somebody is lagging behind or stopped to talk to the quest NPC. I'll wait for them, but the minimap make it a lot easier than opening my map.
  • Dorreah
    Dorreah
    ✭✭✭
    I use the minimap two ways.

1. PVP - excellent for tracking my group
    2. PVE - in dungeons, excellent for tracking my group. Its really useful for seeing when somebody is lagging behind or stopped to talk to the quest NPC. I'll wait for them, but the minimap make it a lot easier than opening my map.

I should say that I was talking about "minimap and casual content". In PvP and PvE it is realy helpful tool
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mini maps are great for, PvP and when you're in one of those multi level dungeons looking for the skyshard, boss or quest object. Most of the rest of the time it's just there and I ignore it.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minimaps aren't Elder Scrollsey to me, so I don't use one. No hate for those that do.

And yet TES 3 had them.
  • LordKelsier
    LordKelsier
    ✭✭✭
    They are not needed per se, but they make live easier.

I still use the big map constantly, but especially in dungeons or PvP (where you want to track movements of your teammates) it's much quicker to have a glance at it.

As for exploration: You can still do it, even when using a minimap. It's one of the main reasons I play this game, there is always something new to see or experience. After years I still haven't finished the main story (though I am in Cadwells Gold by now :D).

Addons as a whole just provide a great value imho. I am currently using 67 of them and I wouldn't want to miss a single one of them :P
  • RD065
    RD065
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use a mini map for one reason to show me the way instead of bringing up the Map (M) all the time and upcoming wayshines that I haven't been to yet. And it's not to rush, I explore all the time without the minimap at all (I run more often than get on my mount). But when I'm on a quest I want to get done it helps.