The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

If you were new to the game

JustDuckyish
JustDuckyish
Soul Shriven
What would be the one thing you wish someone had told you when starting out? I'm new to ESO, been playing Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim for years now but it's my first time in ESO. I'm familiar with the MMO-genre, as I've also played WoW for years.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you intend to take up any or all of the seven (7) crafting professions ... be sure to:

(a) start trait research right away, and
    (b) be diligent about acquiring the extra skill points needed to invest ... on top of the skill points needed for combat.
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DON'T MAKE YOUR MAIN A SORC!
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your first 3 decisions before you start playing are the most important and only 1 can be changed after.

Class, Race and alliance
  • dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) Start researching traits right away
    2) Told me about 'sets' (took me about a year to even know sets were a thing)
    3) Not to sell all motifs you get. I am not trying to get the Grand Master Crafter achievement, so I am farming/buying as many motifs as I can now.
    Edited by dan958 on September 25, 2018 8:55AM
    @dan958 - PC/EU - Dannuin - Nightblade - Bosmer - CP982 - For the Queen!
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Improving your weapons until they're "gold" quality will give you a nice boost to the damage you'll do. Save all your gold-level materials like Kutas, Rosin and Tempering Alloys for your weapons, and don't spend them right away on armor pieces, at least until after your weapons are gold-quality. Gold-level materials are rarer than everything else.
    Also, don't make anything gold quality unless it's max level, otherwise it'll be a waste (max level is CP160), and don't waste gold materials on any weapons that aren't part of an armor set.

Edited by SydneyGrey on September 25, 2018 11:36AM
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you intend to take up any or all of the seven (7) crafting professions ... be sure to:

(b) be diligent about acquiring the extra skill points needed to invest ... on top of the skill points needed for combat.

Absolutely this.
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - Start researching. Crafting is useful in this game.
    - Eat or drink :)
    - Play the main quest, mage guild and fighters guild first
    - Dont rush !!
  • Bubbastic
    Bubbastic
    ✭✭✭
    Stack different skills that you want to level up even if you don't use them. The skill line will level faster
    。◕‿◕。
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Food buffs make thing a LOT easier. I'd been playing for over a year before I started, even though I had Provisioning maxed out.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not a single-player Elder Scrolls game. Do not expect the same level of immersion.

This is not WoW. ESO does multiple things very differently from conventional MMOs. Do not expect things to work like in WoW.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish someone had told me right from the beginning to ignore the meta, never listen to people talk about dps in the forums, and never watch build videos. My self-esteem would've been SO much better over these last few months that my dps was actually more than sufficient for vet content but I didn't realize it.
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    I wish someone had told me right from the beginning to ignore the meta, never listen to people talk about dps in the forums, and never watch build videos. My self-esteem would've been SO much better over these last few months that my dps was actually more than sufficient for vet content but I didn't realize it.

Depends on what you want to achieve in this game. If you are a dedicated player and want to get to endgame content fast, you can learn and get everything you need to know and have in about 3 months.

Most important things to have a good start imo:

1. Choose the right alliance/class/race combo - Inform yourself about the different playstyles and choose a combination that makes sense (e.g DK, argonian => probably best PvE Tank, argonian also performs very good in PvP)
    2. Don't be afraid to use skillpoints - you can reroll them anytime you want. Make sure to equip one skill of every class tree (=3) and one of every weapon tree you will play to level them all up
    3. Wear 3-2-2 or 5-1-1 => the main kind of armor you will play later (heavy/medium/light) - remaining armor kind - remaining armor kind (to level all armor types). start caring about sets later, when you reach max armor level (cp 160)
    4. start researching and leveling crafting now. there are enough skill points for crafting, pve and pvp at the same time, don't worry. for armor: research divines/impenetrable/infused first. for weapons: infused/nirnhorned/precise. for jewlery: infused/bloodthirsty
    5. Don't forget to feed your horse
    6. get used to using Pots in combat, buff food
    7. ...?
    8. Profit
    Edited by Protossyder on September 25, 2018 1:16PM
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've tanked every vet DLC dungeon with an average group DPS of 15k, honestly majority of stuff is fine with around 20-25k.

Anyway OP:
    1. ENJOY THE GAME, don't let stuff get you down and dont focus on grinding to end game.
    2. Item sets exist (1-5 piece item bonuses)
    3. Food/Drink boosts are a must have
    4. Primary stats into primary resource (e.g. if youre a stamina damage dealer load everything into stamina/weapon damage & use skills that cost stamina)
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. make 3 alts you think you might want to play later. Start feeding their horses every day for fast ponies when you get around to playing them.
    2. Don't listen to the omnipresent naysayers. a fluffy build can complete 99 percent of the solo content and 80 percent of the group content once you have a few hundred CP, no worries.
    3. Play what you enjoy, not what is best. ESPECIALLY as a new player--by the time your at endgame, best will have changed.
    4. Argonians are property.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Mostly agree. Some of the forums made it sound like you needed BiS gear, 40K DPS, and any mistake would cost your group dearly. Or that if you had anything less than Vicious Ophidian and TFS you had zero chance. Simply not true.

With that said, I wish I had looked at alcast before building my Nord stam DK. All I knew was what was in Skyrim, where Nords were melee damage-dealing machines and heavy armor was the way to go. Would have saved me the crowns I spent on changing him to a Khajiit and figuring out that medium armor and stamina are intertwined. At the least, it would have pointed me into the right direction for my build and what to expect in terms of sustainability and game play.
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    don't rush and don't go into powerleveling while skipping content - enjoy your game

everything is good in good time
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What would be the one thing you wish someone had told you when starting out? I'm new to ESO, been playing Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim for years now but it's my first time in ESO. I'm familiar with the MMO-genre, as I've also played WoW for years.

The world is MUCH MUCH smaller in ESO than in any previous game.

The other players both make and break your experience.

Seek guilds, friends, use any sort of communication/audio you can (skype, teamspeak, discord) it will make a WORLD of difference.

Use "ignore" often and well.

Recognize that what is "best" WILL change, that's the nature of MMOs, so don't get too attached to any one build.

Relax and have fun; that's the whole point, and if it's not fun, stop for a while.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Ahnog
    Ahnog
    ✭✭
    That there are heavy attack and they restore resources. I didn't learn this till I started running dungeons and someone complained I wasn't using heavy attacks. I asked my guild about them and learned.
    Ahnog

Argonian Tank Warden
    High Elf Mag Warden
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are new to the game don't read the forums! (people in pve zone chat are significantly less toxic)
    Edited by Maryal on September 30, 2018 4:40PM
  • Grayfax
    Grayfax
    ✭✭✭
    Learn to use Light Attacks and Heavy Attacks intentionally.
    Also, realize that Heavy Attacks restore resources (Magicka and Stamina).
    When restoring resources it is important to distinguish that Staves (Staff) restore Magicka, ALL other weapons restore Stamina (just so you aren't surprised that your 2-Handed Sword heavy attacks on your Warden is not helping you with your Magicka Skills).

Also, when looking at Skills and the Skills Advisor, you can change which build you are using of the Skill Advisor the very first time you login so that you can change your Advised skills to fit more in line with using Magicka, Stamina or Health as a primary resource (and usually one other option that is role based... say Healing instead of Damage). It is a good stepping stone to later using build guides outside the game and finding out what you want to take from other players or develop on your own.
  • smashcats
    smashcats
    ✭✭✭
    To use heavy armor in pvp and not spec for damage because it doesn't work
  • Bladehawk
    Bladehawk
    ✭✭
    Ignore the forums. Coming from WoW, you know how bad General Discussion is on the WoW forums. It's nearly as bad here, which is a dubious accomplishment!

I'm only here now because, as a new player myself, I'm debating which class to main, so I'm trying to absorb both current information as well as what will be changing with Murkmire.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have told myself this:

"You're supposed to start the game on this thing called the 'starter island' except some patch changed this to plop you in the first zone instead. You are going to be under-leveled for it. Go to the starter island immediately. It will be significantly less frustrating."

This, of course, is not applicable to the game as it is now. When I first picked up the game - before One Tamriel, before CP were a thing - I almost quit three days in for two reasons. One, other players doing stupid things that broke my immersion and made me question why on earth I was bothering with an MMO at all (MUDs were never so horrendous). Two, defeating enemies in the zone I started in was more difficult than I felt it should have been.
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DON'T MAKE YOUR MAIN A SORC!

YES
    PC/EU - PVE 2H stam orc petsorc (meta, what meta?) ww - terrible dps - mediocre player - fun times - free ww bites to whomever asks so don't be shy if interested
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give Tamriel the time it deserves. Slow down and smell the roses!

Crafting is worth it in the long run. research traits ASAP

Feed your horse... DAILY!!!!!!

Rhaegar Gregorson, The Ebonheart Centurion - Imperial Dragonknight
    RABIDxWOLVERINE - Xbox One, NA, Ebonheart Pact

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Go to the starter island immediately.
    Agree! (although Ebonheart Pact characters might not want to finish it)
    it ends very dramatically, cutting off access to the Bleakrock services (banker & merchant & crafting)

also...
    Join a couple casuals or newbie friendly guilds.
    As others have mentioned, pay attention to your "battle leveling" too low and you are squishy, too high & its a face-roll
    (IMO don't waste gold improvement/runes below level CP160 equipment!)

Come to this forum when you have specific Q or get stuck.
    Have fun storming the castle! ;)
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to start this game. Zenimax right now is the Games Workshop of old. In other words a company that takes their customers for granted. At least for me, it seems "it's what have you done for me lately" instead of "what can we do for you".

So just like being stuck in a GW game system, you keep playing because of time/money sink and don't want it to go to waste so you keep playing so the "investment" seems worthwhile.

That said I would say "DO NOT RESTART and DELETE CHARACTERS. For 4 years I did what I did in The Elder Scrolls game, and kept restarting characters. It takes a long time to max horse stats, and research, and basically I am still a newbie. I didn't know we can with the cost of real money change character races.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree with this ! Saves a lot of time if you start early
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some of the suggestions above are what I'd have said to day 1 of ESO me (particularly about getting started on crafting researches!), so I'll add something else I wish I knew earlier...

Get one character to Champion Point 160+ sooner rather than later. Don't rush, or grind, or stress about it (unless grinding floats your boat); but focus your efforts on getting your first toon to CP160 or above. It's not the time to make a bunch of alts at the start, imo.

The reasons are simple:

- Champion Points are account-wide "levels" that are shared by all of your characters. Once you hit level 50 -- on any character -- they are automatically converted to CP level [whatever your number is here]. So "max" level isn't level 50, it's really way up in the CP levels somewhere. CP cap keeps getting raised over time, but...

- Gear level (armor/weapons/etc) maxes out at CP160. Whether you're CP 161, or 947, or 312, or 2452 -- you're using CP160 gear. All that CP 150 (and below) gear becomes garbage the instant you're 160+, since you'll never see CP 1-159 again. You don't wanna waste time/effort/money getting gear that you'll never use again, do you? I didn't understand this until embarrassingly late in my ESO adventures. (Side note: base level 1-50 gear [NOT CP] may be useful for alts that you make in the future)

- Because of the above, you are severely limited in your trading abilities until you're at the CP160 "floor" level. You won't have use for the stuff higher level friends get in dungeons and whatnot, and vice versa. This makes getting the stuff you want/need in the first place a lot harder and more tedious. Trade, in some form or another, is a BIG part of the game for most of us. You can join the party at CP 160, but not really before.

- Making gold is harder at lower levels, too. You'll struggle more than your leveled up counterparts to pay even basic things like Stable upgrades (*shudders at remembering having to deal with that annoyance*) or Pack/Bank space upgrades. You can pretty easily be Scrooge McDucking in gold once you're CP 160 and above. But not before, most likely.

- Creating a bunch of alts to get a feel for different classes and whatnot is fine; but you honestly will learn more by really digging into a class for a longer period of time before moving to a new one every week. Stick with a toon, get comfortable with all their abilities, assess how you like/dislike it, THEN go creating others. There's enough build diversity within each class that you can't reasonably expect to get well-acquainted with all the possibilities it has to offer before a lot more time has passed than it takes to get to level 50. I know many of us ESO adventurers created like 17 toons before we finally stuck with one, and almost universally the consensus seems to be "I should have got to CP ranks before re-rolling other characters". It just delays you joining "the actual game" with everyone else too much, imo.

On the flip side, don't get too heavily invested in your first character. I know very few people whose favorite character is the first one they made. All the more reason to get to CP 160 quickly, in my mind. Just sayin, get just enough skill points to unlock skills, try them, have fun, and then you're better equipped to move on. The sooner you find out which class (and alliance) you really want to main, the better. And you can't do that very accurately until you're at CP 160, where the game really begins.

And welcome to ESO! We hope you enjoy your stay.
  • Ph0t0n
    Ph0t0n
    Soul Shriven
    Don’t neglect to level the armour and associated crafting research for the type of armour you think you’ll never wear.