The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

What even is the problem with shields in their current live state?

• TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    more and more im leaning towards the possibility that Artificial Intelligence is calling the shots and decision making for nerfs and such in ESO.

No intelligence is involved in the changes ZOS makes.
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
    Options
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »
    Jameliel wrote: »
    therift wrote: »
    Because in PvP triple-shield-stacking sorcs are impossible to defeat. Everyone in PvP runs a sorc because of this, except for the handful of stam builds who are allergic to shields.

Because in PvE healers are waiting tables or begging in the streets. Everyone runs only sorcs in dungeons and trials, because insta-shields is godmode, meaning sorcs take absolutely no damage whatsoever while tanking bosses and healing the group.

Thus Nerf Sorc.

This is a lame excuse by someone who has a hard time beating sorcs. Show me a "shield stacking" sorc with enough sustain and power that's "impossible to kill".

Ah let's see in no particular order.

Reddington James
    Gundysorc
    Beautiful chocolate man
    True legend
    Perfectly perched pelican
    Methuselah
    King Richard when he used to play
    Sypherpk when he used to play

I'm sure I can think of a dozen more if I really tried. No doubt these are all very good players but with shield mechanics currently the way they are they are impossible to kill. They never run out of stamina and never let their shield down and hit like a truck. These pros have perfected their builds and have exploited shield mechanics forever. It's time shields got a Nerf. I don't agree with 1 sec cast time but when Sorcs are stacking 50-80k shields and hitting like a damn truck there is a problem. When the general mass players have adopted their builds even the average player feels like a god to fight against.

80k shields. Seems legit. Anyone wanna go for 100k?
    Options
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »
    Because in PvP triple-shield-stacking sorcs are impossible to defeat. Everyone in PvP runs a sorc because of this, except for the handful of stam builds who are allergic to shields.

Because in PvE healers are waiting tables or begging in the streets. Everyone runs only sorcs in dungeons and trials, because insta-shields is godmode, meaning sorcs take absolutely no damage whatsoever while tanking bosses and healing the group.

Thus Nerf Sorc.

This is a lame excuse by someone who has a hard time beating sorcs. Show me a "shield stacking" sorc with enough sustain and power that's "impossible to kill".

Reddington James
    Gundysorc
    Beautiful chocolate man
    True legend
    Methuselah

I'm sure I can think of a dozen more if I really tried. No doubt these are all very good players but with shield mechanics currently the way they are they are impossible to kill. They never run out of stamina and never let their shield down and hit like a truck. These pros have perfected their builds and have exploited shield mechanics forever. It's time shields got a Nerf. I don't agree with 1 sec cast time but when Sorcs are stacking 50-80k shields and hitting like a damn truck there is a problem. When the general mass players have adopted their builds even the average player feels like a god to fight against.

Sarcasm noted. You can hit 80k or come pretty damn close to it wearing imperial physique set in IC. Try fighting a maxed out sorc wearing ip during the IC event. It's ***.
    Edited by LegacyDM on September 25, 2018 7:18AM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
    Options
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not change the shields, but if a change is really necessary, then I would increase the mana cost of shields same way the streak cost is increased when used in squence. You can't put a 1 second cast time for a shield. How would you feel if it took 1 second to draw your physical shield on a tank?

I really don't see shields as a problem. Some tanky builds feel indestructible. Many times I came across DKs that I could not kill, so with the last bit of mana I ran away. They are most annoying to me, but I would not nerf them.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
    Options
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    more and more im leaning towards the possibility that Artificial Intelligence is calling the shots and decision making for nerfs and such in ESO.

You know the changes to shields are bad when even dwemer thinks they're bad implemented.

;)
    Options
  • StamWhipCultist
    StamWhipCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »

You know the changes to shields are bad when even dwemer thinks they're bad implemented.

;)

Tears of the dwemer. As salty as any mer ones.
    Options
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fiktius wrote: »

I heard rumours that Molag Bal is now part of the combat developer team.
    I guess he got finally frustrated about Sorcs stacking those shields front of his eyes in Coldharbour and now he's taking a revenge.

You deserve best comment so you’re getting an awesome from me
    Options
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urvoth wrote: »
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Cos sorcs cast harden ward, ward ally or what ever on the restro staff and harness magic ...

This gives them three shields and three utility aids to health regen damage mitigation and resource regen

Instead of simply making it so casting one shield over another cancels out the last one, or making it so all shields go on a cool down once one is cast preventing stacking they went a bit mental and added a cast time ... This allows sorcs to still have the buffs ... But now I stead of it being an "oh *** panic" and letting them still have an edge they're now forced to buff up prior to an engagement and if they don't get the kill they need to back up for a sheild buff ... This gives the opponent a window to get in at them ...

I understand ZoS thinking ... But they're blinded to the sorc problem and not the knock it will have to other sheild users who don't stack for pve

You know the cost for stacking 3 shields is like 10k magicka, right? And they only last 6 seconds, require 3 sec of gcd to cast in which you won't be able to attack, and also get burned through very quickly in no-cp. You can't continuously spam 3 shields while attacking, or even when just trying to defend. With battle spirit your magicka is like 36k, so you'll run out pretty quickly if you just spam.

https://youtu.be/ww294BmmqJU
    Options
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »

Thus Nerf Sorc.

Reddington James
    Gundysorc
    Beautiful chocolate man
    True legend
    Methuselah

Sarcasm noted. You can hit 80k or come pretty damn close to it wearing imperial physique set in IC. Try fighting a maxed out sorc wearing ip during the IC event. It's ***.

Emperor sorcs in imperial physique in IC have ridiculously high shields if they are low hp and stack three shields. Therefore sorc class is OP and should be nerfed. Yeah now you saved it mate.
    Options
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cos sorcs cast harden ward, ward ally or what ever on the restro staff and harness magic ...

This gives them three shields and three utility aids to health regen damage mitigation and resource regen

Instead of simply making it so casting one shield over another cancels out the last one, or making it so all shields go on a cool down once one is cast preventing stacking they went a bit mental and added a cast time ... This allows sorcs to still have the buffs ... But now I stead of it being an "oh *** panic" and letting them still have an edge they're now forced to buff up prior to an engagement and if they don't get the kill they need to back up for a sheild buff ... This gives the opponent a window to get in at them ...

I understand ZoS thinking ... But they're blinded to the sorc problem and not the knock it will have to other sheild users who don't stack for pve

You know the cost for stacking 3 shields is like 10k magicka, right? And they only last 6 seconds, require 3 sec of gcd to cast in which you won't be able to attack, and also get burned through very quickly in no-cp. You can't continuously spam 3 shields while attacking, or even when just trying to defend. With battle spirit your magicka is like 36k, so you'll run out pretty quickly if you just spam.

https://youtu.be/tA0SOoVF0-o
    Options
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

https://youtu.be/Y_bWwrZcd_A

You want me to keep going ?
    Options
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even with animation canceling, its 3 global cooldowns. No getting around it.
    Options
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »

Thus Nerf Sorc.

top sarcasm :)

Yes! Thank you!

For those who missed it, the clues were 'Everyone runs sorc in PvP' and 'Everyone runs only sorcs' in trials.

It's a ridiculous statement to illustrate my position on the ridiculous Nerf Sorc threads from PvP players and the questionable statement from the developers that healers were undervalued in PvE.
    Options
  • Hostee
    Hostee
    ✭✭✭

Thus Nerf Sorc.

This dude obviously has no idea what he’s talking about.... You only bring 1 sorc to trials and the rest are magblades, tanks, and healers.... Lol GG
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

AI would make perfectly rational decisions. Balance changes in ESO are everything but rational
    Options
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem is that ZOS often doesnt address the root of problems in their balance changes. Nobody complained about magsorcs just running Hardened Ward, the problem since 1.6 has been shield stacking.

You could think, lets address the stacking aspect and the problem reduced. Assign the different dmg shields skills in the game to either a minor or major category. This gives 100% control of which shields stack and which overwrite each other.

For the PVE aspect you mainly shield to survive burst dmg because constantly shielding is a waste of dps and resources. With a cast time thats very difficult so Templar healers should feel more needed because they have the quick res passive. If ZOS would increase sustained dmg on DDs the need for healers would naturally increase because constantly shielding isnt an option, yes even with instant cast shields. The problem is that most dmg is avoidable and stuff that isnt avoidable usually deals burst dmg so you can shield through it.

History repeats itself and the proposed fixes on PTS are again not really addressing the problems. I fail to see the risk vs reward if you compare a Stamden in heavy armor to Magsorc in light armor for example. The former has superior defense, sustain, burst dmg and mobility.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
    Options
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well played.
    Edited by DeadlyRecluse on September 25, 2018 1:30PM
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    Options
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why they don't just fix stacking, or cap shields at a percentage/hard value. Adding a cast time just seems to be clunky, and will probably make the build feel laggy/unresponsive.

Just my opinion. I'm not on the PTS, and my main is a stamblade so I don't really have a lot of experience with shields other than trying to burst them down. I just think any kind of cast time on a shield is just going to frustrate players that use them, and I don't think that's a good thing for the game.
    PS4NA
    Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thus Nerf Sorc.

That was some impressive sarcasm. ^^
    Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can kill shield users fine in PvP, and my own shields get taken off quite easily, so I'm really not sure how they're OP in PvP, at least in non-CP. BGs are basically StamGrounds at the moment, and with spammable gap closers, swift, speed pots, etc, the range vs melee thing isn't really relevant. Without range or the ability to stun break and roll dodge continuously, shields are important for light armor mag builds to survive.

In PvE, shields only help you live through stuff that would kill you regardless, so nerfing them isn't going to help healers be more effective, unless constantly ressing makes healers "feel more useful." If ZOS wants to buff healers, they should give them better group utility and not make so many 1-shot mechanics.

With this in mind, what exactly is the "problem" with shields? PvP already leans towards stam players, and shields are necessary in PvE thanks to the prevalence of 1-shot mechanics.

I tend to agree. The over-reliance on one-shot mechanisms is why healers have decreased in value. That and the fact they have made healing so directional while at the same time constantly having allies scattered all over the place to dodge and kill adds.

The problem is the original combat development team and the current one have completely different visions of what combat should be like in ESO - so it's foundation doesn't support what they are building on top of it.

They need to change directions and start moving back toward ESO's original combat design. Because if they keep moving in the same direction they're going they are going alienate most traditional MMORPG players who prefer role-based combat instead of frantic twitch gameplay dodge fests.
    Edited by Jeremy on September 25, 2018 1:37PM
    Options
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can kill shield users fine in PvP, and my own shields get taken off quite easily, so I'm really not sure how they're OP in PvP, at least in non-CP. BGs are basically StamGrounds at the moment, and with spammable gap closers, swift, speed pots, etc, the range vs melee thing isn't really relevant. Without range or the ability to stun break and roll dodge continuously, shields are important for light armor mag builds to survive.

In PvE, shields only help you live through stuff that would kill you regardless, so nerfing them isn't going to help healers be more effective, unless constantly ressing makes healers "feel more useful." If ZOS wants to buff healers, they should give them better group utility and not make so many 1-shot mechanics.

With this in mind, what exactly is the "problem" with shields? PvP already leans towards stam players, and shields are necessary in PvE thanks to the prevalence of 1-shot mechanics.

You can kill unskilled shield users. But many can.
    On live issue is that one can stack 3 powerful magicka based shields that cannot be crited, give better tankiness than actual tanks have and compared to how effective they are, the tradeoff is way too small. Introducing fatigue to shields same as streak have would not be the right solution, since it would drain sorcerers out of magicka way too fast, and force them to go double sustain sets all the time. I dont think one second cast is the best possible solution, but it will bring excitement to sorc lifes. At least to these who are not losers with greatest achievement in life being "iQuit".

Sorcerers already go double sustain sets for most builds. It's insanely costly to use 3 shields, and they still melt when you get dog piled in BGs.
    Options
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're linking videos from 2016...
    Options
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insane offense and insane defense simultaneously.

That's the problem. You should have to make a choice.

You wanna go glasscanon and hit ultra hard ? Then you shouldn't have that insane defense.
    Options
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvE you shield up because you can't outheal oneshots.

No amount of "love" to healers will change the fact that you can get oneshotted by stacking mechanics with massive damage.

Unless the suggestion is to run raids with 4 healers... spoiler alert
    You still won't be able to outheal oneshots

Oh, and, BTW, people complaining about sorcs shieldstacking in PvP, experienced sorcs users will adapt to the changes and create a different strategy, while people unable to burst down an opponent will still complain rather than learning how to do things, with idiotic claims like "80k shields".

So... GGWP

You're linking videos from 2016...

Also, matters little if you can animation cancel, what, 20k shield between all 3 for a cheap cost of 10k magicka... woohoo for you, your argument is rock solid.

Also, if you're counting on healing ward better to make absolutely sure there's nobody else around, cause, yeah, it's a tiny bit unreliable.

Edited by Aisle9 on September 25, 2018 2:04PM
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
    Options
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarousse wrote: »

You wanna go glasscanon and hit ultra hard ? Then you shouldn't have that insane defense.

As a sorc you have to wear sustain sets and their damage is actually pretty low. Even the most dedicated sorc haters on these forums cant bring a video proving the "insane damage". People lie like there's no tomorrow, post low mmr matches full of "recruits" and low cps guys claiming its a super competitive high mmr bg. People post a video of a player killing low cp newbies (including magsorcs) and still claim that sorc is op. Come on, it's pretty obvious at this point.
    Pve-wise this glass cannon pulls less dps than magdens and has huge sustain issues. Much op, such wow.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
    Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarousse wrote: »

Why shouldn't a mage have the option to channel some of their magical resources into defense? What's the alternative - should mages all start gearing like tanks to stay alive?

Shields are expensive and require a lot of upkeep to sustain, so It seems a fair trade off to me. I really don't see the problem with shields. There is already a choice involved I would say.

This is a mostly unnecessary nerf that is trying to put a band-aid on what is an inherent flaw in the current combat design that favors pre-emptive defense over reactive defenses. I've been pointing this out for months (maybe years). Heals are not effective enough on this game because damage simply overwhelms it.
    Edited by Jeremy on September 25, 2018 2:14PM
    Options
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I don't understand, tho...

Why is the shield nerf = sorc nerf ?

Any magicka DD that somehow relies on shields to avoid oneshots in PvE is getting shafted, not just sorcs...

And healers can't outheal oneshots, so...
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
    Options
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

https://youtu.be/tA0SOoVF0-o

Top quality video. A sorc figthing 3 potatoes and still being unable to kill them util his buddy came. Next time bring a video of sorc tanking mudcrabs to tell us how OP sorcs are.

Edit: Just saw the date. Welcome to 2018 mate. You are two and a half years late but better late than never i guess. Lmao.
    Edited by pieratsos on September 25, 2018 2:17PM
    Options
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thus Nerf Sorc.

This may be the craziest thing Ive read on this forum
    Options
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dk should be nerfed, then. There are some vids from ancient patches that look pretty damn op
    https://youtu.be/jyZsIDSSGV4
    Well, tbh if even a hater like you is struggling to find relevant vids of op sorcs, that probably means they arent as op as you think.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on September 25, 2018 2:41PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
    Options