Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What is the second ability bar?

Gash
Gash
✭✭
I'm a total noob to this game.
Is the second ability bar like a off spec like on WoW? So much to learn haha.
  • Magikarp
    Magikarp
    ✭✭✭
    So you can switch between two sets of abilities, with two sets of weapons. Example: If your primary weapon is a bow and you have bow skills, you can use the second ability bar to have dual wield skills, for your dual wield weapons.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At level 15 you unlock your second weapon set. Each weapons set has it's own ability bar. Effectively, you'll have 10 ability slots and two ultimate slots to use at that point.
    :)
  • Gash
    Gash
    ✭✭
    Ahhhh right nice one.
    I'm wanting to go nightblade
    Primary: healing staff
    Secondary: maybe the bow or DW

Seems like a pretty fun game even though I only had 30 mins play on it.
    A bit of a learning curve from playing the usual mmos but seems good thanks guys.
  • Riny01
    Riny01
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone is a noob to some degree :) & yes at level 15 you are able to switch weapon sets which is where the second skill bar comes in.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some tips. Buffs will persist through the weapon swap, but summons, including mage light, will not. Match up at least one ability from your slotted ultimate's skill line on the same bar so you can charge the ultimate up.
    Edited by driosketch on April 1, 2014 9:52PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Gash
    Gash
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips guys :D
  • Swordmage
    Swordmage
    ✭✭✭
    It is also perfectly acceptable to have both weapon sets point to the same weapon, but with different skills on each bar (for instance a single target vs AoE set of skills, perhaps with some skills on both bars).
  • robynheraty_ESO
    robynheraty_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    Some tips. Buffs will persist through the weapon swap, but summons, including mage light, will not. Match up at least one ability from your slotted ultimate's skill line on the same bar so you can charge the ultimate up.

This is great advice. It took me a long time to figure out why my ultimates charged sometimes, but not others. Also, bound armor is another summons skill that won't survive the swap unless you have it slotted on both bars. I found this out the hard way during a battle in which I was heavily dependent on using bound armor.

And I like to make sure Silver Bolts is always available to me. There are so many reasons I love this skill!

• khepra
    khepra
    Swordmage wrote: »
    It is also perfectly acceptable to have both weapon sets point to the same weapon, but with different skills on each bar (for instance a single target vs AoE set of skills, perhaps with some skills on both bars).
    Are you sure about this?
    I think they removed the ability to have the same weapon (bur not weapon type) on both sets.

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you hit level 15, you are able to combat swap weapons with an associated hotbar. Most people use this to switch between melee and ranged - it appears that even tanks will need to be able to reliably do this in ESO.