The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Furnishings in the wild?

bearbelly
bearbelly
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I'm still relatively new to the game (less than a month), so please forgive my ignorance (I couldn't find this particular topic on a search).

I was running the Pathfinder achievement on the PC EU server yesterday and I came to one of the ruins on the list.
As I was exploring the ruins, picking up what could be picked up, I saw a painting leaning up against a crate and next to it, sitting on top of that crate, was a statuette of a dragon, although, I was not able to pick up either of them.

This was the first time I can recall seeing things that are considered furnishings out in the environment, so I'm not sure if these were just part of the background.
Were they just background? (In the same sense that there are some crates and barrels which you can't interact with.)
Or, are furnishings just randomly lying around in the environment to be picked-up? If so, is there something you need to accomplish before you can pick them up?

Also, so that I don't create a separate post, if you purchase a furnished house, can you rearrange the furnishings? Can you pick up the furnishings and take them to another house?

Thanks.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get furnishings in the wild, but not when they're being used as furnishings! You may find some ready-made items in chests and other loot containers. Most paintings are obtained that way, despite being larger than he containers you find them in.

Furnishings can be picked up and moved to another house. Even if you buy "unfurnished" there are always some items included (an interior lighting piece, at least), and any can be moved, or taken elsewhere. However, just like the items in the wild, some are part of the structure, and some aren't. You may find that you have plants in the yard that are part of the ground cover, and fixed, while you can pick up a huge rock and take it away.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No you can't pick up random furnishings lying around.

Furnishings are either crafted (you can find furniture crafting 'recipes' ingame in containers of all types and from mob drops etc, and you can buy then from Guild Stores), or bought.

Furniture can be bought from Home Goods vendors all over the world, the Luxury Furniture vendor in the Hollow City in Coldharbour (small new selection each weekend), Guild Stores, the Housing Editor (purchasing section) and furniture packs from the Crown Store.....these last two paid for in Crowns. You can also obtain furniture from Achievement vendors for a variety of currency. Also some bosses can give you trophies, which are classed as furnishings as you can display them in your houses.

Yes, you can rearrange the furniture in a furnished house (and a lot of the stuff in the garden too). You can also pick it up and stash it in your inventory or storage chests, which you can buy from the Crown Store or obtain with writ vouchers from the dude outside the east gate in Stormhaven.
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info!
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can also find furnishings while fishing (plant life, seashells or other aquatic decor) and pick pocketing (general clutter decor).

It's usually a rare chance - but it is another way to get furnishing :)

• Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some furnishings are also harvested with plants or wood like the Coldharbour glowstalks and the branches