Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Mage guild passives

qbit
qbit
✭✭✭✭✭
I have a question about this build I’ve been modeling off of:
https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-sorcerer-build-pve/

I’d ask @Alcast but I don’t know how or want to waste his time... his recommended passives section includes mages guild and summoning passives that, based on the tooltip description, will never do anything in his build.

Like for example four skill points get put in passives for summoning that apply only when you have a pet summoned. Same with mages guild passives since we are only slotting the mages guild ability for the increased Magicka. We are not using it in PvE. This is for PvE only for the sake of discussion.

So since he’s an expert, I’m guessing that these passives provide some kind of buff due to some bug in the game or maybe the tooltips are not completely accurate?

That’s my question. Do those mage guild and summoning passives (listed toward the bottom of the linked page) do anything? Or are they copy/paste errors. Like he copy/pasted the list and forgot to remove them? What are your thoughts?

I’m short on skill points and I’d rather put these in crafting for now if they don’t actually accomplish anything...

Thanks for your help!
Edited by qbit on September 6, 2018 5:07PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's likely a combo of copy/paste and the fact that it's easy enough to get enough skill points to unlock them.

While some don't apply in this specific build, the builds are subject to change down the line and might make use of them later.

Unlock the ones that definitively affect things first, unlock the others as you get extra points.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great. That’s what I thought. I know this game has a lot of nuances that are not obvious to the noob so I wanted to make sure. I’ll avoid those passives for now. I do like to switch between pet and no pet so I will eventually get the passives. But I need about 30 more skill points to do everything I want to do. This weekend I’ll collect my sky sharks. Shards.

It was very nice to respec for 1 gold. I saw last night they’re gonna charge me 8k to respec now. .. honeymoon over.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    qbit wrote: »
    Great. That’s what I thought. I know this game has a lot of nuances that are not obvious to the noob so I wanted to make sure. I’ll avoid those passives for now. I do like to switch between pet and no pet so I will eventually get the passives. But I need about 30 more skill points to do everything I want to do. This weekend I’ll collect my sky sharks. Shards.

It was very nice to respec for 1 gold. I saw last night they’re gonna charge me 8k to respec now. .. honeymoon over.
    Not sure how much you know, but:
    • It's one full skillpoint (outright) for finishing 4-man dungeon quests the first time. Count on norm or Vet either one, and there's a separate quest for Tier I's and Tier II's if there is one.
    • Public Dungeon Group events (1 per zone) also grant a full point relatively quickly. If you get the shard inside as well, you'll get 1 1/3 for every event you do. (You can see which ones you're missing under (J)ournal, Achievements, Dungeons, Public Dungeons, group events.

It's two of the quickest ways to initially gather points, plus you'll get a shard or two on the way, in most cases.

Good luck & enjoy!

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed. Having a great time. I grouped up with some great people last night and breezed through a vet dungeon for the first time. The one that organized the group for me got the helm and weight I needed on the first run and gave it to me! So happy about that. Then my five undaunted keys I soloed prior to this did not yield a shoulder piece I needed let alone the weight. Lol.

So the pledges will be a “fun grind” for more keys and a slot machine pull.

Yeah I’ve been getting sky sharts. Shards. And lorebooks while doing the psijic collection quest. Boring but good use of time and I’m seeing new zones I’ve not been in. And hitting all the public dungeons along the way.
    Edited by qbit on September 6, 2018 5:33PM
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do someone need Alcast or anyone else to read tooltips?
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SilverWF wrote: »
    Why do someone need Alcast or anyone else to read tooltips?

You fail at reading comprehension completely. Utterly completely.

It’s not even worth the time to elaborate to you why I asked since your goal was to insult my intelligence. I specifically mentioned the tooltip. /facepalm

The game is full of bugs. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if something is buffed and not mentioned in a tool tip and an expert of the game would know that and put it in his build. Why is that so hard for @SilverWF to understand?

Edit: I mean do you just cheese through life assuming everyone you read/hear is just a blundering stupid idiot? Or are you just angry about problems at home?
    Edited by qbit on September 6, 2018 5:43PM
  • bri5
    bri5
    ✭✭✭
    qbit wrote: »

sky sharks! Awesome!!!