Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game keeps crashing both with and without addons

TheTrueIndiz
TheTrueIndiz
Soul Shriven
Hello everyone,

As stated above, it doesn't seem to matter what I do, because with or without addons, the game crashes at completely random moments with the error: ''Elder Scrolls Online has quit unexpectedly''. Nothing seems to trigger it as it even happens when I'm idle or in the player screen where you can click ''Play''.

I've tried repairing, fully reinstalling (While still not using addons) and then finally asking support through a ticket. But they keep sending me from one to the other, asking for the Game Consultant report with and without addons. I've already done this three times to three different people from Zenimax support because their shifts change and so they keep sending me to another person to fix it with me. Until now no progress has been made as I still haven't heard of why my game is crashing and/or how to fix it.

I don't post in forums often at all so if there's any info missing that might be needed please do tell me, so I can try to provide it.

And thanks in advance for trying to help me fix this issue.

Addons used:

-Advanced Autoloot Renewed
-AutoInvite
-AutoRez
-AwesomeGuildStore
-Bag Space Indicator
-Calculator
-Combat Metrics
-Daily Alchemy
-Daily Provisioning
-DarkUI
-Destinations
-Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter
-ESO Master Recipe List
-FCM Quest Tracker
-FCO Lockpicker
-FCO StarveStop
-Harven's improved Skills Window
-Harven's Research Timers
-HarvestMap
-Innocent Blade of Woe (and Vampire Feed)
-Inventory Grid View
-LibAddonMenu
-LibCustomMenu
-LibMainMenu-2.0
-LibStub
-LoreBooks
-Lui Extended
-Mass Deconstructor
-Master Merchant
-Minimap by Fyrakin
-MultiCraft
-No, thank you!
-NoAccidentalStealing
-pChat
-Potion Maker (for Alchemy Crafting)
-Rare Fish Tracker
-Simple Durability
-SkyShards
-Supress Error Message
-Tamriel Trade Centre
-TOM - Tamriel Online Messenger
-Votan's Adaptive (Video-)Settings
-Votan's Darker Nights
-Votan's Fish Fillet
-Votan's Fisherman
-Votan's Rune Tooltips
-Votan's Search Box
-WPamA (What Pledges at my Alts)
-Zolan's Auto Repair

(This many addons might cause the crashes right? Nope, because even with a clean install of the game and no addons in the live folder it still crashes randomly)

Hardware specifications:

-CPU:
Intel i7 4790k

-CPU Cooler (In case you wonder if it gets too hot in there):
Noctua NH-D15

-Motherboard:
Asus Z97-A

-Memory (DRAM):
G.Skill RipjawsX F3-2400C11D-8GXM

-Storage:
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SSD)

-GPU:
ASUS STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

-Power Supply:
Corsair CS750M

-Operating System:
Windows 10 Pro

Best Answer

• TheTrueIndiz
    TheTrueIndiz
    Soul Shriven
    WOW!
    I found the issue AND the fix!

It was a GPU overclock. It works with every other game but not with this one. So I turned it down by a bit and it's completely stable now!

Thanks for the support so far guys.

I'll mark this thread as solved :)!
    Answer ✓
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -Have you tried to update your drivers? Outdated drivers might have conflicts with the system you are running.

-Windows 10 also has a nasty tendency to bug out on games. Had a few incidences when the problem was with win 10 and not with the game.

Not too sure on GeForce but I remember Radeon had to optimize the game before it can actually run properly.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be Zenimax side of the problelm. I have been crashing a few days ago and lucky for me it stopped. Are you still crashing? Also how often are your crashes? Time to time or very frequently? Do you also have any other programs active while playing?

One last thing I can think of is do you have any dongles or anything attached to your computer? I am playing with an Xbox controller wired, so when I pull on the wire it pulls on the attached USB adapter and I might have a loose connection somewhere. I find this crashes ESO for me or more like Freezes it. Make sure all connections are in tight and nothing is loose.

Try antivirus. Maybe turn it off when you play and see if that crashes the game for you. I know it's risky but that is all I can think of with my limited knowledge.

Sorry can't be of more help.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • TheTrueIndiz
    TheTrueIndiz
    Soul Shriven
    Holy crap I completely forgot about this thread. Sorry for not responding to this!

By now I have a new mobo, CPU and RAM pieces.
    I fixed the issue somehow before I had the new parts, and *** am I annoyed right now that I don't remember how because the issues returned.

RavenSworn:

My drivers are almost always up-to-date. Right now they are definitely up-to-date. I've heard of these issues that Windows 10 itself could be causing issues. It's definitely not software or anything as I've already tried ESO on a clean Windows 10 installation before and it still kept randomly crashing.

I don't use GeForce experience, it's a mess. I manually remove the drivers with DDU and reinstall manually with just the Nvidia drivers installer.

Davor:

I am still crashing. At least 3x in an hour. Very frequently and at completely random moments. I have a LOT of software running at the same time compared to most people but as stated above to RavenSworn I even tried it on a fully clean Windows 10 installation and got the same issue.

There's two dongles that I use at the moment, one for my wireless headset and the other for the PS4 controller. They're all as deep and stuck in there as can be.

Antivirus is also sadly not the issue as again it kept crashing with just ESO installed on the clean Windows 10 installation. I've now also tried turning Malwarebytes (The AV) off while I have all my other software already installed and running.

Problem is it always has seemed to be random in-between the time of 1 second or 3 hours so I can't really tell what's causing it.

For now I'll try the last thing I didn't try with my fresh Windows 10 installation which is pulling out the dongles and seeing if that somehow fixes the issue. If that's not it I'm also out of ideas.

Thanks for the support so far anyways guys, really appreciate people helping each other even if they don't know them.

Will report back soon.
    Edited by TheTrueIndiz on December 25, 2018 9:51AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try restarting your PC. First step in solving PC issues is a restart. Things can get buggy.
  • TheTrueIndiz
    TheTrueIndiz
    Soul Shriven
    I am on my PC too often already as it is haha.
    It restarts at least 3 or so times a day.

I noticed that I was able to play for at least 2 hours without a single crash with my two dongles unplugged.
    Now that I put them both back it crashed again within 15 minutes.

I'll try one and then the other, see if it still crashes.

When it is the case that it's one or both of the dongles I'll report back which ones are causing it so it could help other people too.
  • TheTrueIndiz
    TheTrueIndiz
    Soul Shriven
    Well, I tried with one of either dongles and I'm sad to say I can't figure out which one is causing it since it now is also crashing without either of the dongles.

I've tried completely removing the game and all it's remaining folders from all drives, but even after a clean reinstall it still keeps crashing without any addons or dongles plugged in.

I'm out of ideas again :l.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much memory do you have? Are you playing at max settings? With your add on, are the "off"? As much I don't want to suggest this, I read somewhere, even if the Add ons are "off" they still take up memory because they are being loaded.

You might have to deactivate all add ons, and then uninstall them all and try it out. Not sure if you have done this already or not.

Also, how do you start ESO? Do you go by the launcher? Have you tried going straight to the ESO64.exe or what ever it's called? Not sure if that will help or not.

Also, you using a Steam version or not?
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"