The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Srceen freezes but game keeps running

Haquor
Haquor
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi there,

Since wolfhunter i have been getting an issue where my screen image freezes but the game continues. I can hear myself using abilities and jumping etc. I can even hit enter and type away in chat. I know this due to discussing with people in discord and also by communicating the inevitsble crash to group members.

The game remains in this state until i alt-tab at which point after a brief black screen i get the 'eso has stopped working' error dialog.

So its like im forcing a crash to get out of the frozen screen state.

I have updated all drivers. Repaired the game files. Updated addons. Disabled addons and reduced graphics settings to near unworkable.

Is this type of crash being experienced by anyone else on PC and is there a workaround?
I know i havent provided tech specs im just curious if anyone else has had a similar issue since last uodate.

Cheers!

Metabox Prime P650HP
Windows 10 64bit
15.6" FHD 1920x1080 IPS WVA Matte 60Hz LED
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM
Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core (6M Cache up to 3.80 GHz)
8GB DDR4 2400MHZ Memory
Plextor S2G 512GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD
Edited by Haquor on September 2, 2018 12:45PM
  • waistlessrwb17_ESO
    I've been having this issue for the longest time, though unfortunately it has turned out to be driver related which I've yet to find to a fix for. It comes down to the display driver crashing and resetting for some unknown reason. For ESO it happens as you've described, in other games the effect will be different. For example in unreal engine games, I will instead get a crash that states "Error: Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost"

In Windows 10, display driver resets happen invisibly so it can be hard to know that this is happening unless you look into the event viewer.

To confirm that this is the issue, go to the Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System and look for any errors from source: nvlddmkm or warnings from source: display that should say "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." (When I initially had this problem I never saw any of these errors, so try other games and see if you can get these errors to show up if you dont see them)

Now I've tried dozens of things to fix this. Reinstalling windows, DDU and reinstalling drivers, downclocking you name it I've tried it. The issue occurs seemingly at random, it might not happen for a few days, then happen lots of times in the span of an afternoon, there might be some key thing I'm doing but its difficult to pin down.

A number of things I would suggest trying to reduce how often this occurs:

Don't run any web browser in the background, disable any and all in-game overlays (i.e steam, discord), make sure ESO is the only main app running (if you need discord and/or steam open, keep them open in background but have the window for them closed).

Also try other things on google that people have suggested for driver crashes, such as disabling the HDMI audio device for your GPU. (should be under "Sound, video and games controllers" in device manager.)

Let me know if anything I suggested works, or if you figure out something else that manages to work. This particular problem is a very nasty one to figure out, good luck!

edit: My system specs:
    Nvidia GTX 960 4GB
    16GB RAM
    R5 1600x @ 4ghz CPU
    ASUS B350M
    Game installed on SSD
    Edited by waistlessrwb17_ESO on September 2, 2018 1:20PM
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome thanks ill try these suggestions. Played this evening for about 3 hours and it didnt happen once. Like you said tho other days ill have it every 30 minutes or more.
  • SheepdogPaladin
    SheepdogPaladin
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! I have this issue too!

Once in a while, the entire screen would just randomly freeze completely. I could be doing anything in the game at the time the screen freezes. While the screen is frozen, it seems I can do anything in the game, but I can't see what I'm actually doing because only the screen is frozen. I can hear the entire environment around my character. I can hear all the interface sounds too. I can move anywhere and hear my character's footsteps. I can mount and dismount and hear the mount sounds. If I activate auto-run and then the screen suddenly freezes, I have to manually stop my character from moving to prevent my character falling off a cliff or entering a dangerous area since I can't see where I'm going in real time when the screen freezes. I can hear dolmens and players actively doing the dolmens.

I can open and close the various character and game menus. I can even use chat and I tried typing out blindly /reloadui whenever the screen freeze occurs, but nothing I do restores the screen, so I must perform Alt+F4 to completely exit the game to resolve the issue.

For me, this does not happen to me too frequently but it certainly is not rare. I would say it happens once or twice per game session. I recently returned to the game after several months hiatus and this issue started happening to me for the very first time when I returned to the game a week ago. I never had this issue in the past.

So far, my character has never died directly from this screen issue as it has never happened yet while my character is actively in combat, but the issue appears to be very random and it probably could happen during combat as there is no specific action that seems to trigger this issue.

I have reinstalled the game and also my graphics driver, but to no avail. This issue continues.

Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51 series gaming laptop
    Intel i5-7300HQ
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB GDDR5
    12GB RAM DDR4-2666
    256GB SSD
    Windows 10 64-bit
    Edited by SheepdogPaladin on September 7, 2018 12:31AM
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never experienced this. Running nVidia 1060 GTX and some crap AMD CPU with 6 slow cores. Windows 10 pro whatever with the latest update.

I do get a freeze when my weapon enchantment needs charged, but I suspect this is the game not pre-loading that weapon charge icon and having to send the texture over the PCIe bus and also compile the shader in that moment. And it freezes the whole game which is more noticeable since I'm in combat when it happens. But I'm just salty today and coming at the programmers. Sorry.
    Edited by qbit on September 6, 2018 9:15PM
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SheepDogPaladin this sounds like exactly my issue. I still havent found a fix and its very frustrating.

@qbit its not the same issue cause mine can happen in and out of combat and i will charge weapons without it happening.
  • Euphoria666
    Have the same issue with Intel i7-6950X CPU and GTX 1080Ti (both with OC but it happens without it as well).

One thing though to add when it happens sometimes my PC barely responds and i was forced to restart the PC to close the game.

Another thing i discovered though if i limit my FPS by 4-5 below my monitor's refresh rate which is 100 on Acer Predator X34, it almost stop this freeze-crash issue.
    You can say its a weird workaround but thats the only thing that helped, and after doing it i rarely have this issue again but it still happens just not often.
    Edited by Euphoria666 on September 9, 2018 8:17AM
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just happened to me (happened a few times since, I think, Summerset performance updates), all I was doing was some crafting writs in an empty Deshaan. (on a full uninstall/reinstall vanilla install of the game)

Oh well, ctrl-shift-esc for a force quit and load a game that works.
    Edited by Zorgon_The_Revenged on September 13, 2018 9:11AM
  • SheepdogPaladin
    SheepdogPaladin
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that enabling Vertical Sync in the game's video settings may have resolved this issue for me. I have not experienced the screen freeze for more than a week now.

As I originally mentioned, prior to returning to the game recently, I never experienced this issue before and I always had Vertical Sync disabled in the past for the three years I've played this game, including on other computers that I've owned.

It's possible that something else may have resolved this issue for me, but enabling vertical sync is all I know that seems to have worked for me.
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always had v-sync enabled but I'll check next time I log in.....which won't be tonight as less than half an hour of crafting writs in a fairly quiet city and I get the same bug.

I'd like to thank the devs for acknowledging this bug/technical problem and all the effort they put into making their game run well, helping it to be the best damn MMO out there...….
  • Euphoria666
    Yea it may have something to do with not syncing fps, but anyway since i manually set the fps cap to 94 i not had this issue again.

• greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same, been happening for years so different drivers dont seem to make a difference. Gonna turn V-sync back on.

Strange how this is the only game it ever happens to me on.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    V-sync didnt make a difference for me. Ive adjusted evwry setting i can think of. N solution.
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logged in for the first time since my last post in this thread, did some craft writs, did a master writ, went to the bank to deposit some mats and boom....same bug.

I got a great sense of accomplishment finding out (even with this freeze frame bug) I can now press ESC, find where it would say "Quit Game" on the left of the screen with my mouse pointer, press "E" and log out (I was hoping to hit "Log Out" to see if it could fix things, next time maybe).
  • Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    It started happening to me after last month's Windows Update pushed an nvidia driver update (mobile gtx 1060). After the crashes started I tried a manual update from the nvidia website but it made no difference.

Last night after two crashes within a half hour of each other, I switched from exclusive fullscreen mode to borderless window fullscreen. It felt a little jerky after the change but I made it two more hours without a crash before logging out for the night. It's too soon to tell if that helped.

Edit: I checked my event logs (win10) and found no errors/warnings in the system or application logs during the times of the crashes.

Edit 2: Lasted 4+ more hours without a crash after switching to borderless window fullscreen. I had also turned off vsync if that matters, adjusting MinFrameTime.2 for the same effect.

Edit 3: 2 more without a crash, or 8 hours altogether. I would have expected two or three by now.

Edit 4: Another day crash-free with those changes. 5: and another day
    Edited by Mudcrabber on October 8, 2018 6:05AM
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    This keeps happening to me too. And I know many others that have the same problem. I submitted these reports a lot, but nothing happened so far. Also tried the regular advice they have in their troubleshooting, didn't help.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im still having the same issue. No fix yet. New drivers, new settings, no addons, no fix.
  • Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still haven't had another crash since my setting changes, with my mobile gtx 1060, though I don't know which change is responsible.

These are my exact UserSettings.txt changes:

PreferExclusiveFullscreen from 1 to 0
    FULLSCREEN_v5 from 2 to 1
    VSYNC from 1 to 0
    MinFrameTime.2 from "0.01000000" to "0.01660000"

The last setting is to cap it to my refresh rate of 60 fps without vsync.
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mudcrabber wrote: »
    I still haven't had another crash since my setting changes, with my mobile gtx 1060, though I don't know which change is responsible.

These are my exact UserSettings.txt changes:

PreferExclusiveFullscreen from 1 to 0
    FULLSCREEN_v5 from 2 to 1
    VSYNC from 1 to 0
    MinFrameTime.2 from "0.01000000" to "0.01660000"

The last setting is to cap it to my refresh rate of 60 fps without vsync.

Quick update to anyone with this issue. I followed Mudrabber's advice here and i havent had this freeze since i made these adjustments ocer two weeks ago. I consider this a fix.

Thanks a lot @Mudcrabber