Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game does not work for iMac (Brand New)

Doumanianrub17_ESO
Bought the game, installed it. Game runs very slow on the lowest of graphics. Can barely move. Megaserver is a bad idea, slow x10,000!
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you post your System details including graphics card, OS X version from the System Profile here:

Apple icon (top left of menu bar) > About This Mac > More info…

It's not possible to give any advice from just what you have said.

I'm assuming you are in the starter areas of the game. In areas where everyone spawns at start with lots of people this will create a lot of demand on your iMac. Usually when you move away from the masses it is much better.

You say you set it to the Lowest settings which should not be necessary on any new iMac, even the 21 inch or low end 27 inch (2013) which doesn't have a great graphics card for 3D gaming. There should be a reason for this performance.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 4, 2014 3:36AM
  • Doumanianrub17_ESO
    How about the Apple Air? Will that be okay for gaming?
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭

I would think not. This game runs really choppy on my MBP. As Moonraker asked post you system specs for your iMac that will be the better option.

• seangcxqb14_ESO

Yeah, no issues at all on moderate settings. Using a Mid 2012 13" Macbook Air, 1.8GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, Intel Graphics 4000 1024MB Graphics.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, no issues at all on moderate settings. Using a Mid 2012 13" Macbook Air, 1.8GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, Intel Graphics 4000 1024MB Graphics.
    @seangcxqb14_ESO thanks for posting that. I heard generally it works pretty well with the default graphics though in busy times it's good to reduce if needed. Also with the 4GB RAM I suggest to close other apps in background including the Launcher which is not needed after game is loaded; and reboot before play is good management too to free up memory before play.
  • seangcxqb14_ESO
    Moonraker wrote: »

@seangcxqb14_ESO thanks for posting that. I heard generally it works pretty well with the default graphics though in busy times it's good to reduce if needed. Also with the 4GB RAM I suggest to close other apps in background including the Launcher which is not needed after game is loaded; and reboot before play is good management too to free up memory before play.

I've never had to restart, but only running Elder Scrolls Online is neccesary. If you do run into any memory issues, be sure to do a quick look through all active running processes before starting up the game, but I have minimal background processes.

I should also note for anyone looking to play the game on moderate settings on their 2012 MacBook Air, that I have a SSD, not a disk drive. I doubt you'd experience the same results if you did not choose a SSD when purchasing.
    Edited by seangcxqb14_ESO on April 5, 2014 10:59AM
  • odrik
    odrik
    Soul Shriven
    Bought the game, installed it. Game runs very slow on the lowest of graphics. Can barely move. Megaserver is a bad idea, slow x10,000!

Also have a brand new iMac and the game runs terribly. Even when i dip the settings down to a 1600x900 resolution which is less than my PC used to run it it runs terrible and movement is chunky.

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac14,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B01
    SMC Version (system): 2.15f2

I'm running OSX 10.9.4
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    odrik wrote: »

Also have a brand new iMac and the game runs terribly. Even when i dip the settings down to a 1600x900 resolution which is less than my PC used to run it it runs terrible and movement is chunky.

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac14,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B01
    SMC Version (system): 2.15f2

I'm running OSX 10.9.4
    Which graphics card is it? Makes a big difference. If it's the default NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M on the 27 inch then sadly it is underpowered to drive the 27 inch display at native resolution for a game like ESO. Though it should perform better than you state.

What are your Video settings in ESO?
    Edited by Moonraker on July 13, 2014 10:07PM
  • Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Be nice if apple offered the new Mac Pro with a pair of good gaming video cards rather than the cards optimized for video production now offered.

But I doubt that an optional version like that will ever be offered...

Of course if they did I would then be complaining that the cards were not user upgradable...

Just no making folks like me happy....
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Be nice if apple offered the new Mac Pro with a pair of good gaming video cards rather than the cards optimized for video production now offered.

Of course if they did I would then be complaining that the cards were not user upgradable...

The GPUs are great and actually offer good price for what you get. The main issue is that without SLI or Crossfire type support for dual GPU they are limited to the single GPU performance which are not that much better than the iMac 27 optional Nvidia 780m. Unless the application is written specifically to use both which is fairly limited currently and no games that I am aware of.

Running via Bootcamped Windows and Crossfire the difference is clear as in this Barefeats benchtest. We can dream...
    Edited by Moonraker on July 15, 2014 1:38PM
  • Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »

The GPUs are great and actually offer good price for what you get. The main issue is that without SLI or Crossfire type support for dual GPU they are limited to the single GPU performance which are not that much better than the iMac 27 optional Nvidia 780m. Unless the application is written specifically to use both which is fairly limited currently and no games that I am aware of.

Running via Bootcamped Windows and Crossfire the difference is clear as in this Barefeats benchtest. We can dream...

Thanks for the info I did not know that... The only thing stopping me now is a collection of about 10 FireWire 800 devices.

I wonder if crossfire will ever be supported under osx

I have actually been considering the maxed out 27" iMac with the 780m as a replacement for my 2009 mac book pro as even with 8 gig of ram it is feeling its age... Right not its win7 pro64 bootcamp is borked and every attempt by windows update crashes out ... Partly my own fault as I do not use it enough and so it wants to do 22 items as a result the steam launcher on it says it does not have the ability to write its update... Right now the machine is used each night just to watch UK TV via iPlayer and a VPN as I have no backup for the bootcamp volume just the oxx stuff is backed up....

But the info that the new Mac Pro is a good game PC under bootcamp puts the new Mac Pro back under consideration where it has not been since it came out.

I guess there must be lighting external boxes I could move all my FireWire 800 gear into so it could be used on the new Mac Pro ... Need to count my change jar and see if I ca swing it I guess

Cheers
    R
    Edited by Windshadow_ESO on July 15, 2014 6:01PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say that the new Mac Pros are good gaming computers, only that the GPU is good but you wont get to fully appreciate the true potential of the dual GPUs due to lack of Crossfire (or other implementation) in OS X.

For the price, Barefeats shows that in many cases while gaming, the Nvidia 780M is close to the performance and for a lot smaller investment.

The recent bump to iMacs did not upgrade the GPU options and I'm not sure when they will upgrade the iMac next so hard to say when is a good time to buy. However, the Nvidia 780M remains pretty much the best mobile GPU around still and Apple will presumably continue to only fit mobile GPU models to their computers (except Mac Pro) due to cooling and energy considerations. So it remains a good option for current and upcoming games in the next few years.

The Mac Pro is great for the specific fields it is aimed at and should provide decent gaming also but it will never be a 'gaming' computer unless AMD provide support for Crossfire with Apple. Then it would really shine like it does via Bootcamp.
  • Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    All too true it would have to be a boot camp machine for most gaming I was just stuck in the mind set of thinking those production GPus not being any good for games. When I bought my mac pro in 06 it was to support what I was doing in photo editing before I retired.. But I still find that apiture runs just fine on the old machine but the fact that it is limited to 7.5 or win XP means it has to be replaced this year at some point. And the info from you on the newer machines is very valuable to me... So once again thanks