The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Daily Writ Shipments

ThePedge
ThePedge
✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone know why the shipments from daily writs are random materials and not level specific?

At level 1 you get some mats back from what you used to craft, but at level 10 it could be anything, and most of them are completely useless. Anything 10-140cp is useless once you are cp160 and it either gathers dust in your crafting bag or annoying takes up inventory space, theres not much of a market for it. Others I don't mind having some of to craft gear for new chars, but even then I could just gather it.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the mats are always a lower lvl than your crafting lvl.

this came about with 1t because the nodes changed from being zone specific to the players crafting lvl. so a max lvl crafter could no longer harvest lower lvl mats.

job done, next?
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

this came about with 1t because the nodes changed from being zone specific to the players crafting lvl. so a max lvl crafter could no longer harvest lower lvl mats.

job done, next?

Sounds like 1T was a massive turning point for this game, I only started with Summerset release.

Even still it seems silly to me they are always lower than the level of crafting you are at, it would be intuitive to me that your crafting level, or unlocked skill level would determine the mat level.

But thanks for the info.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThePedge wrote: »

job done, next?

Sounds like 1T was a massive turning point for this game, I only started with Summerset release.

Even still it seems silly to me they are always lower than the level of crafting you are at, it would be intuitive to me that your crafting level, or unlocked skill level would determine the mat level.

But thanks for the info.

These packs were added at some point after the One Tamriel update because many people complained that they were unable to find lower level materials on their max level + max skill crafters post-1T. Before 1T you could go to a specific zone (ex. Auridon for maple/iron/jute or The Rift for oak/high iron/whatever's after jute) and harvest level-specific materials there.

Also, the surveys you get are supposed to be used to refill your stocks of crafting-level materials, which is why you won't get a shipment of lower level stuff at the same time you get a survey. The shipments were an added "bonus" for the writs where you were not awarded a survey. For the longest time, it was either: you got a survey, or you got nothing.

It's not perfect, but it's better than the nothing we were getting for months after 1T.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You either get a survey (which will supply mats of your level) or you get the lower tier mats instead. So in a way, you do sometimes get level appropriate materials. They just make you go hunt them and refine them first.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ThePedge wrote: »
    Does anyone know why the shipments from daily writs are random materials and not level specific?

At level 1 you get some mats back from what you used to craft, but at level 10 it could be anything, and most of them are completely useless. Anything 10-140cp is useless once you are cp160 and it either gathers dust in your crafting bag or annoying takes up inventory space, theres not much of a market for it. Others I don't mind having some of to craft gear for new chars, but even then I could just gather it.

All of my alts craft. They don't have all 9 traits researched, but crafting is maxed. However I have set the skill levels to get the lower level mats I need; I just use the appropriate leveled alt. *It* I have the time to farm stuff.

If you craft only for yourself you probably will never need the lower level mats once you "outgrow" them. Crafters who craft for guilds can and do use all the levels of mats. I find myself buying low level stuff from guild traders sometimes. The mats might not sell for thousands of gold, but they do sell. My two main crafters will never find anything below rubedite/rubedo/ancestor silk/ruby ash, and they are the two characters I play the most often.

• Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The CP 10-140 materials really have no place in the game honestly. With enlightenment and ZOS feeding the player-base XP scrolls no one is at those ranks for long enough to even take advantage of the materials at this rank for more than a day or so. Especially first couple of tiers form like Cp 10-40 and 50-90 or whatever it is. They just clog up the loot table at this point. Would much rather get shipments of below lvl 50 materials so i can at least use it to make training sets for people.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with what has been said so far. I also have a trade guild that I sell the mats in, and I make between 150-200k a week selling my extra "low-level" materials, along with the provisioning mats that I get from my hirelings that send me mails each day. It's well worth it, in my opinion. The money I make from selling those makes up for the shortfall from what you get for surveys and what you need to craft, so I can buy more mats to do more surveys...

Also, when they added in the low-level shipments, they changed how many surveys you got, survey drop rates used to be around 50%, but they were not as 'rich' in materials when you went and picked them up. Now you get significantly less surveys, but they are more valuable as they contain more materials, thus it's a time-saver to the master crafter, who doesn't have to spend as much time searching out surveys.

surveys also used to be non-stackable, so you could only have 1 of a time in your bank (or on a character), and they were limited to Wrothgar for the max-level writs (which is why there are so many locations there).... they may have been in craglorn too for a time, but I can't remember. Now that they are stackable, we get low-level mats to sell for gold, it was a much improved quality of life improvement. (The only negative now, is that they are all over Tamriel, so I have to go to every zone weekly to pick up my surveys)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The material in the boxes is pure gravy. It was added so that material was available to craft for low levels.

Even if you just vendor the mats, the gold is decent. If you belong to a trade guild, even better.

But... because of the enormously high cost of ancestor silk, I do something else.

I run lower level writs on some of the crafters. The survey mats you receive are based on the crafting points expended on a line and character level of the toon running the survey. I convert the low level material shipments into cap level mats. You also receive things like recipes based on your point allocation and some of the lower level purple recipes bring in a ton of cash.

The gold you get for completing writs is the same regardless of your crafting level. It is only based on you character level. So, while converting mats upward, and gaining lower level recipes, you are still getting the same influx of gold.

You do give up on master writs if you do this, but I run 25ish toons through writs daily and maybe 6-8 run the lower level writs.

Edit: Note that the recipe thing is unrelated to the non-consumable writs, just a reason to run lower level consumable writs.
    Edited by Wreuntzylla on September 7, 2018 11:16PM
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been burning through all these mats doing writs with low level alts. When I run out of one I drop a skill point into that craft and start with the next level of stuff. It's been an easy way to turn it all into gold.