The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Gathering Mats for crafting, and leveling Blacksmithing

meatloafed35
I must be missing something obvious. I was running around the woods looking for Iron and in a couple hours I only found one node. Where and how should you go about looking for ore? I'm in Auridon ATM. As far as the level of item crafted; does it matter what kind of item you make in order to level BS? Ie Iron Daggers vs Orcish Daggers, or Iron dagger vs Iron Armor.
  • Matei
    Matei
    ✭✭
    if you only found one node in that time, you have been unlucky. Just keep on searching i would say, you will find more eventually. Exploring outside the path pays off on finding ore / herbs / chests.

There is a possibility to put skill-points in being able to find ore easier. (i cant remember what the name is) There will be light / smoke coming of the node, so one can see it from a larger distance.

I dont have an answer to your question if it matters in what order to make items.
  • Castielle
    Castielle
    ✭✭✭
    I had this issue when I started hunting ore myself. I've found that most ore is around coastline areas and at he base of cliffs. I hope that gives you some direction.

Cas
  • Usstan
    Usstan
    ✭✭
    You must have looked in the wrong places ;) But it might help to put at least 1 point into Keen Eye(s?). Also if you just need a bunch of Iron, I would run over to Khenarthi’s Roost. In a few hours yesterday, I had well over 100 iron from refining and deconstructing, and that was after crafting 2 full armor sets (lvl 4 and lvl 8).

And that was just iron picked up while questing and/or chest hunting.
  • meatloafed35
    Thanks guys, I did just that. In fact I found enough at Khenarthi's Roost to make a full set of level 4 Iron. I noticed BS doesn't level too much from actually crafting. When I was deconstructing stuff I leveled from 1-2 with only 3 or 4 items, but after crafting 6 pieces at BS2 im only 15 % of the way up. I wonder if deconstructing is naturally faster.
  • ajcollins80
    ajcollins80
    Soul Shriven
    I found the higher the quality item you deconstruct the more it trains the particular craft.
  • meatloafed35
    I noticed that as you put more material into an item, say construct a dagger for level 16 as opposed to level 2, the more XP you get for BS. I wonder if it scales directly or there is some ideal number of material-XP ratio so you can level the most efficiently.
  • Hypersillyman
    Hypersillyman
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed that Auridon iron nodes seem to be fewer and farther between than in other zones. I look in all the usual placed that one would expect to find them and there simply aren't any. Either I am just incredibly unlucky, or they need to add some more ore nodes to the zone. Maybe both.
    LFG Fippy Darkpaw. PST.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    I must be missing something obvious. I was running around the woods looking for Iron and in a couple hours I only found one node. Where and how should you go about looking for ore?
    I get almost all of mine through deconstructing loot. It's way easier.

• Castielle
    Castielle
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed that Auridon iron nodes seem to be fewer and farther between than in other zones. I look in all the usual placed that one would expect to find them and there simply aren't any. Either I am just incredibly unlucky, or they need to add some more ore nodes to the zone. Maybe both.
    Absolutely agree. This goes with most nodes in general there. I went back to Khenarthi's Roost last night to do the treasure maps and there were so many mats all over! The disparity is quite alarming.

Cas
  • Salsadoom
    Salsadoom
    ✭✭✭
    Makes sense, where is iron most likely found? Areas with broken earth, hills, cliffs,s ea shores, river beds, mountains
  • shadowz081
    shadowz081
    ✭✭✭
    Iron in Auridon seems to be in abundance. I have managed to get 200+ ingots in my time in auridon (Used em obviously, still have a hundred left if you wanna buy). Not hard spotting a giant red rock in the distance, unlike high quality iron you use to craft steel with, they are slightly harder to spot but still doable. Ill just say you have been unlucky...

I would also suggest you don't just go out and purposely look for iron, just go do quests, which will give you levels for much needed skill points or go sky shard hunting, you will find plenty of iron than, especially if you take the path less traveled *Hint Hint*. ;)

Note: And with quests and mob killing, there is a chance you can get iron armor and weps as rewards and deconstruct those for xp and mats, you may also find chests, so keep a couple of lock picks handy with you.
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you dont find iron ore in trees in real life now do you?