The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magicka Nightblade in no-CP campaign

The_Tarantian
The_Tarantian
✭✭✭
Not that long ago I went deep into PvP with my main character, which happens to be magblade.
I built myself up as a ganker and I did it quite successfully.
However now I find it boring. Ganking was fun.... first 100-200 times, when any kind of PvP experience is fresh. But then you start looking for the fights where you can actually test your skills.

So I wanted to ask more experienced fellow magblades - is there any NON-gank oriented way to play our class in PvP?
I am not asking for the exact builds, I just wanna know is there even such thing as non-ganking-nightblade and I would really appreciate if you would share your experience\ideas\thoughts with me.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.
Erin Go Bragh, Erin go Braugh !
It's Irish for "you're ***".
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there are other ways to play NB in non-CP PvP.

I run a successful healing build on my Magicka NB. With some tweaking, I could make it more damage oriented and still have great survival.

If you aren't going to gank, you should be able to run with heavy armor, HoTs, and high magicka regen.
  • The_Tarantian
    The_Tarantian
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, that's nice to hear. But are u playing mostly supportive role or are u able of going solo?
    Thing is, I myself mostly play solo and prefer the small scale of PvP.
  • daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭
    For battlegrounds you could try 5 1 1 light shackelbreaker necro destro/resto with either zaan skoria or magicka x2 single bonuses.

That's a no cloack build with double shield slotted, worked for me in BGS at least.
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find Lich almost indispensable on non-cp enviorenments. I'm currently running skoria + shackle + master + lich if I don't feel like relying on proc sets which is 50% of the time. Get an infused willpower destro if you don't have a master's.
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • Pijng
    Pijng
    ✭✭✭
    I find Lich almost indispensable on non-cp enviorenments. I'm currently running skoria + shackle + master + lich if I don't feel like relying on proc sets which is 50% of the time. Get an infused willpower destro if you don't have a master's.

Just wonder - why infused?
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play Amber+Shackle in no-CP. 7 Tri-Glyphs and Clockwork Citrus. it’s pretty great because you have your stam and Mag sustain covered by gear and food and can get damage from enchants, mundus, and undaunted set.

Can run with either heavy or light, 2h or Destro.

Can also sub Amber for front bar Lich with VMA resto back bar and tri-food.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 1, 2018 5:29PM
  • Pijng
    Pijng
    ✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    I play Amber+Shackle in no-CP. 7 Tri-Glyphs and Clockwork Citrus. it’s pretty great because you have your stam and Mag sustain covered by gear and food and can get damage from enchants, mundus, and undaunted set.

Can also sub Amber for front bar Lich with VMA resto back bar and tri-food.

Lexxy, you play on NA pc?
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pijng wrote: »

Just wonder - why infused?

Because it hits like a truck and you don't have to spend transmute crystal on it. From my own experience a shock damage enchantment + infused gave me the best results when playing duels. I'm not saying it's optimized though, you can go nirnhorned as well.
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • The_Tarantian
    The_Tarantian
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all guys for the answers, now couple of dumb quesions from me.
    daemonor wrote: »
    For battlegrounds you could try 5 1 1 light shackelbreaker necro destro/resto with either zaan skoria or magicka x2 single bonuses.

That's a no cloack build with double shield slotted, worked for me in BGS at least.
    Do I understand it right that you need 100% uptime on a shade in order to effectively use the necropotence, since you will drop on a lot of magicka if you run out of it? And how does it feel to play without stealth (was actually thinking about it myself? Is it completely different type of gameplay?
    Do you pick 2h purely for snare removal or is there anything else behind it? And wouldn't it cause massive dps loss due not being to weave as easily as with destro staff?

I would also appreciate if someone could advice me some experienced magblade to watch and learn. Preferably a PC one, I guess.
    Thanks again, guys.

• exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes there are plenty of non gank build magblades.

You can go play a healer, you van play it more sustain oriented in 5h (5 heavy is bit hard to sustain on no cp mind you) and rely on heals and attrition with a more brawler gameplay as opposed to a hit and run style.

Tons of builds are listed on this forum alone so i wont really repeat.
  • daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all guys for the answers, now couple of dumb quesions from me.
    daemonor wrote: »

Do I understand it right that you need 100% uptime on a shade in order to effectively use the necropotence, since you will drop on a lot of magicka if you run out of it? And how does it feel to play without stealth (was actually thinking about it myself? Is it completely different type of gameplay?
    Do you pick 2h purely for snare removal or is there anything else behind it? And wouldn't it cause massive dps loss due not being to weave as easily as with destro staff?

I would also appreciate if someone could advice me some experienced magblade to watch and learn. Preferably a PC one, I guess.
    Thanks again, guys.

Yes you need 100% shade uptime indeed but I feel it's an essential skill anyway because BGs or even open world have los places or ledges where you can drop down and teleport back up or go behind a wall, so it's not like you're wasting a skill slot just for the magicka bonus.

Regarding shadow cloack, well IMO (which might be wrong) as magicka you either use cloack for a pure gank build or for meele magblade with concealed weapon. Would only see cloack useful if you wanna run away since that build is not about insane burst from stealth but rather continous pressure, which you can apply while casting healing ward+harness magicka on yourself.

P.S. only speaking from battlegrounds point of view
  • The_Tarantian
    The_Tarantian
    ✭✭✭
    Even though my questions weren't answered, I will do quick update on topic.

I went with the Alteration Mastery + Shackelbreaker build, really like it so far, no gank - no stealth gameplay feels much more meaningfull and skill-requiring, I highly advice every magblade out there to try it out.

p.s. Shade is probably best skill in the game.
    Edited by The_Tarantian on September 6, 2018 8:00AM
  • Myux
    Myux
    ✭✭✭
    magblade in cyro is incredibly difficult if you aren't ganking, and you'll find it very unrewarding compared to other classes. no snare immunity means playing solo is gonna be harder than any stam (on top of no DB and spin if you wanna go there), in smaller group play your only use will be running forwards with eye of the storm and spamming sap essence, which would be better, again, if you were stam and used DB and spin. in a zerg...anythings viable so it doesnt really matter what you play. but even then slotting snipe is better than actually having to get within 28 meter range and attacking people. if you still wanna continue, i can help out a bit.

in no-cp, magblade is a lot stronger as the threshold for killing someone with incap into gun is much lower, so killing people isnt much of an issue whatsoever. you dont even really need to use a damage set, i do anyway tho because its more fun. being able to single out a target while theres other pressure on you will be the hard part, in addition to avoiding damage in general. having a lot of stam is gonna be important as shield mitigation is a lot worse in no-cp. if you arent using cloak, an amount of defense is an absolute requirement for doing anything in cyro. you need to either run heavy or a light defense set. in light i find fortified brass quite comfy for no cp, in cp impreg would be the alternative.

now, melee vs ranged is kind of a difficult one because on 2h snare immunity is so unbelieveably strong but at the same time melee magblade has gotten the *** for so long that we lack any amount of pressure now, meaning melee is only good for ganking. if you build any amount of defense on melee you wont have the pressure needed to get someone down to kill range unless theyre in medium/light with like 17k hp. melee was always "stamblade but worse" but recently its been horrible. really cant recommend it unless you really know what youre doing.

now the biggest thing thats gonna mean success or failure is knowing what youre jumping into. if you can inspect what group youre fighting and know how many of what classes are in there, you can figure out how you should play. for example, if you see wings just hit alt f4. a dk with wings will ruin any 1vX you attempt unless youre able to kill every other enemy and give yourself around 20-30 seconds of alone time with said DK to actually kill them. (this is assuming destro btw.) the most you can do with a dk using wings is hope theyre incompetent enough to either not catch up to you and be able to single out some targets before you get pinned down and permasnared, or they dont know wings makes them literally invincible for 6 seconds (ignoring poppin them with 3 LAs and weaving into somethin else)

shade placement isnt really gonna help you kill people, itll help you reset the fight and try again. aside from the occasional dummy who runs ahead of the whole group trying to hunt you down and lets you pop them before their friends catch up. always nice when that happens. with the latest patch reducing snare durations (eat *** vamp bane) itll be a lot more consistent at saving your ass, in addition to a few patches ago where you dont even need to target someone first anymore. its made escaping/resetting fights incredibly easy. if youre fighting in a tower or somewhere else with multiple levels, put a shade on one floor and go to another one. having a shade on the same level is gonna make chasing you back a lot easier. another important thing to keep in mind is that if youre using shade in the same fight too many times, someone might catch on and actually stay at the shade. if they got snares or roots, youre in trouble.

and remember, if youre outnumbered, try using aspect of terror to even the odds.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alot of good points made by myux.

I will add this in terms of cloak. You do not have to drop it just because you're not ganking. It is still a useful repositioning tool between shades. It helps you maneuver around easier in 1vx/small group situations. Plus that on demand crit for your burst is lovely.