Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

RP phasing tag, nameplates, guild nameplates, character name in all chat and chat bubbles.

Pretext
Pretext
✭✭
Once MMOs were MMORPG. TESO online comes from the finest series of solo rpg's ever made. But when it comes to the online game, many features which are simple to code which are a huge boon to roleplaying have been left out.

RP phasing tag: Roleplayers cannot find each other, we have no means of staying together. The game cannot be considered a online game which is friendly to roleplaying until this is sorted out. Currently the MMO scowls at roleplayers.

Nameplates: Are not just for roleplayers, like all the following features. This standard MMO feature is very useful to us all. MMOs have increasingly become games where players flash by on screen, having no interaction with other players. Having no nameplates takes that to new heights. If there are concerns about lag, just turn them off in the PvP areas.

Guild nameplates: Guilds love them, roleplayers do and players too. So why are they not in game? Toggle on/off of course just like nameplates.

Character name in all chat: Of special interest to roleplayers but something all players benefit from. In FF I understand character name comes after account name in chat channels where the account name is used. That would be fine.

Chat bubbles: To much chat in your chat box? Bubbles keep it all in order and show you who is speaking. Only of use if nameplates are bought in too.

I am an ardent roleplayer, but I am not asking for housing or anything like that. Just some simple systems which are of benefit to us all.

There is no general thread or suggestions thread so I have put this here.
Edited by Pretext on April 3, 2014 3:46PM
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guilds will get tabards and guild emblems :wink:
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • Pretext
    Pretext
    ✭✭
    I am quite happy with that, in fact in some ways that's better than a guild nameplate. But until it is here I am leaving my request for guild nameplates in. This would not be the first time we have been promised something that was not delived in a MMO.
    Edited by Pretext on April 3, 2014 3:47PM
  • Twistedmind
    Twistedmind
    ✭✭
    I am betting my moneys on Addons that are just RP reasons.. I think that there are some already @Pretext‌ I am just not sure my self that how "safe" they are..
    Egypt and Antarctica kills off more investigators each year than cancer does.
    Old Call of Cthulhu fact.
  • Cayce_of_Kata
    Cayce_of_Kata
    ✭✭✭
    You've got to realize that ESO was built with immersion in mind. That's why there's no minimap, no chat bubbles, or name plates.
    People don't want these things in an Elder Scrolls game. They want to be in a living, breathing, immersed world.
  • Pretext
    Pretext
    ✭✭
    There are some addons with limited scope, but I don't think they address any of these issues. Also they often are made unworkable by updates and every new MMO has plenty of those in its first couple of months.
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    I too would like my character name in all chats. I want to be known by my character. Not my @username. This is such a huge kick the teeth to immersion for me. I agree that we should be able to be grouped with other RPers too. I was really looking forward to fully RP a character, but I can't when Calvin Klien is questing beside me.

This is my only gripe with this game. Other than that I am really enjoying it.
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    last i checked only guild chat uses your @ username for chat
    Bloodline|RP Guild|Ebonheart Pact
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pretext wrote: »
    Once MMOs were MMORPG. TESO online comes from the finest series of solo rpg's ever made. But when it comes to the online game, many features which are simple to code which are a huge boon to roleplaying have been left out.

RP phasing tag: Roleplayers cannot find each other, we have no means of staying together. The game cannot be considered a online game which is friendly to roleplaying until this is sorted out. Currently the MMO scowls at roleplayers.

Nameplates: Are not just for roleplayers, like all the following features. This standard MMO feature is very useful to us all. MMOs have increasingly become games where players flash by on screen, having no interaction with other players. Having no nameplates takes that to new heights. If there are concerns about lag, just turn them off in the PvP areas.

Guild nameplates: Guilds love them, roleplayers do and players too. So why are they not in game? Toggle on/off of course just like nameplates.

Character name in all chat: Of special interest to roleplayers but something all players benefit from. In FF I understand character name comes after account name in chat channels where the account name is used. That would be fine.

Chat bubbles: To much chat in your chat box? Bubbles keep it all in order and show you who is speaking. Only of use if nameplates are bought in too.

I am an ardent roleplayer, but I am not asking for housing or anything like that. Just some simple systems which are of benefit to us all.

You seem to be a new Roleplayer, as everything you describe us oldies dislike. Nameplates for example, that's the worst thing that can happen to be honest. That's like forcing people on the street to wear a shield with their name on ... just a bit silly ;)

Chat bubbles are also not an RP feature, but a Pokémon feature. To have those pop up all the time reminds me of a game for children, not however for adults and TESO aims at adults if I am not mistaken ;)

TESO isn't like wow or GW2 with all those Generation 3.0 features. Teso is where Ultima was in the 90´s, a game which focuses on immersion, rather than Elitism.

I like that and hope they stick to their original idea. People who prefer G 3.0 games can play these, wow isn't closing its server tomorrow, but let TESO be what it wants to be and don't try to turn it into another wow clone like so many other great games before. In the end having a wow clone only leads to a F2P game, we saw it at GW2, AOC, LOTRO, Terra, SWTOR and many more.
  • Pretext
    Pretext
    ✭✭
    Same here, overall the game is top notch.

If immersion is an issue for you then nametags etc can be switched off. And indeed its guild chat I was referring to.

I come from a table top background that goes back a few years. Nameplates are useful in roleplaying, its just a matter of how you use them.

Chat bubbles are handy for handling a lot of chat at once, its not a matter of wanting bubbles, its just a good way of keeping track of a lot of roleplayers talking at the same time.
    Edited by Pretext on April 3, 2014 5:11PM
  • Harva
    Harva
    ✭✭✭
    Pretext come join in with all of us for these things here. http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/61316/floating-text-chat-bubble-addon/p1

If we all try to organize together maybe some good will come of it! ;)
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was just about to link this thread. Many of us share the same view upon this.

I can live without name plates since aiming at a person shows thier name. But chat bubbles are nessecary. They tell you who and where someone is speaking.

I do agree with character names in al chat. and the general world phasing (Where they SHOULD have gone through the player survey to match people with who they wish to be matched with like they initially said)

It is hectic trying to meet other random roleplayers or even people in your own guild or friendslist. Can all be in the same place but in different instances and not even realize it.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ironically, I run a small roleplay server on NWN2, and we consider the hard-coded nametags above peoples' heads to be COUNTER to roleplay immersiveness, rather than a boon to it.

It's all in the eye of the beholder, it seems.

Some sort of noticeable, but not annoying, distinction to recognize fellow RPers would indeed be nice though. Maybe a panel in the social windows to toggle on roleplay mode. Anybody with that toggled on in the current region will show in the panel, so you can easily contact people and meet up for some RP.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im a member of an RP Guild with 49 others. I have yet to hear one of them complain about any of these 'roplaying boons' you speak of.

In fact I hear nothing but the contrary. How amazing it is for the UI to be simple and out of the way when its of little use.

Nameplates: You claim that nameplates are necessary for interaction. Yet Ive experienced more player interaction in ESO in the last 5 days then I did in the months that I spent in SWTOR recently. Infact. Interestingly enough. Nameplates are extremely common in MMOs where socializing is thrown out because of the very things you claim will help it. Nameplates allow you to simply see a name and move on. While in ESO you have to stop, scroll over there name and actually interact with an Option Wheel to interact.

GuildPlates: You and everyone else claiming these are necessary forget that players can freely join and be active in upwards to 5 Guilds at once. So these namplates ontop of guildplates will what stack? So players will see walls of text above a players name? And again. Ive heard nothing but the contrary from Guilds themselves. People are stoked that they dont have to face name/guildplate eyesores every time they go into Cities. So what Guilds and roleplayers are you talking to?

Character Names: This is the only one I can see actually being of any use to Roleplayers. But simply because the account name is misleading and may even be difficult to recognize.

Chat Bubbles: This goes back to nameplates and guildplates. Theyre immersion breaking. And real roleplayers hate things that interfere with immersion. If you want to see what the other person is /say then simply look down to the chatbox...Youd be surprised how easily it works and how its much more reliable then Chat Bubbles that appear for a few seconds and disappear.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • scarsreminder80
    I am very happy that Bethesda and Zenimax didn't release another cookie-cutter MMO....

I'm tired of the WoW syndrome! The fact that ESO flies in the face of the old style MMO is exactly why I am playing it and enjoying it. Everyone is burnt out on MMOs that look and feel the same.

Click "Agree" if you read this and feel the same way!
    Let the new MMO age begin with ESO! Give up the WoW mentalities!
    "In your finest hour.... Who will you become?"
  • Swabby
    Swabby
    Chat bubbles do not destroy immersion any more than having to look down at the chatbox.

OP to me chatbubbles and targetable emotes are the two things missing for real RPinteraction . There is no reason whatsoever to not have optional chatbubbles in the game.
  • Paks_ESO
    Paks_ESO
    ✭✭
    My RPing days go back to M59. I agree with the OP that a way to identify other RPers is very important, especially since this is one megaserver.

My suggestion for finding RPers is to allow players to flag themselves in some way as RP then use the LFG channel to find other RPers who are flagged through a search. I call it E-Harmony for RP. :p

Another suggestion is to create an RP channel we RPers can join. I would say let us create out own but I'd prefer just one channel instead of multiple ones.

One other suggestion is to let us post notices in game for RP events so we can start forming an RP network.

Chat bubbles may be nice for RP events but do not affect RP the way not finding RPers does.

The other suggestions I can take or leave because I do not believe they are essential for RP.

PC/NA
  • Morana
    Morana
    ✭✭✭
    What is immersion breaking to one person may not be to another. Some of us "old timer" and "real" RPers do find the lack of chat bubbles to be immersion breaking. It's all a matter of personal taste. I like to be able to see exactly which character in front of me is talking and to whom. Currently the world is full of mute characters that might as well just all be NPC's running by. So that's why I'm asking for optional chat bubbles that are off by default. Then everyone is happy. Why is it wrong to ask for a feature in such a way that it would make everyone happy instead of leaving it as is and isolating a portion of the social playerbase?

I'm getting used to the lack of nameplates, but I don't see why that can't again be something optional and off by default.

The utter disconnect between account name in guild chat and character name in the world still boggles me. I do feel that needs to be bridged to make it easier to connect one with the other. Clearly their system makes sense to someone, but it's not me.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morana wrote: »
    What is immersion breaking to one person may not be to another. Some of us "old timer" and "real" RPers do find the lack of chat bubbles to be immersion breaking. It's all a matter of personal taste. I like to be able to see exactly which character in front of me is talking and to whom. Currently the world is full of mute characters that might as well just all be NPC's running by. So that's why I'm asking for optional chat bubbles that are off by default. Then everyone is happy. Why is it wrong to ask for a feature in such a way that it would make everyone happy instead of leaving it as is and isolating a portion of the social playerbase?

I'm getting used to the lack of nameplates, but I don't see why that can't again be something optional and off by default.

The utter disconnect between account name in guild chat and character name in the world still boggles me. I do feel that needs to be bridged to make it easier to connect one with the other. Clearly their system makes sense to someone, but it's not me.

Pretty much the same here. I can live without nameplates but the rest is just a nessecity.
    Chat bubbles, world phasing, character names showing all the time.
  • BlueBacon
    BlueBacon
    Soul Shriven
    Agree on the guild chat/character name disconnect - it's frustrating. Often times I'll be chatting with folks in guild chat, appear in person with my character and they struggle to remember who is who.
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretext wrote: »

If you roleplay is it not enough you find a guild for it? Nameplates are not necessary, they arent in Elder Scrolls and they wont be here either, stop turning it into generic mmo 999999937.
  • Kalast
    Kalast
    I *loathe* the guild chat for using @handles. I'm halfway to being hacked, and plus, I won't recognize anyone in my guilds when they chat in zone chat.
  • Zaziel
    Zaziel
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind most additions but nameplates could break some immersion actually. As it stands right now you can hide from other players simply by hiding behind a rock, a bush or something similar. A big floating nameplate would give you away instantly. So I would be very careful when adding such a feature. I'd just prefer no nameplates overall since it makes it possible to host hide and seek games and such events and actually hide quite well.

I don't mind chat bubbles for the say channel as long as there's an option it shouldn't be a problem. I also agree to give the option to show character names instead of account names.
    Zaziel the Khajiit, EU
    For the Dominion
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dear OP, I had to break down your post sorry about that.

Roleplaying usually starts at an Inn. I just was at an In and people were discussing who robbed them and accused one of the Khajiit there. I also met a guy who was trying to sell me his old boots, as he lost a toe in battle ...

Roleplaying happens, its just a matter if you are at the places where it does happen. My advice is the inn, but also market places or infront of a town.

Best idea of course is a RP guild, I have not seen any yet on TESO - but I also didn't look after one. I am sure there are some.
    -

Just ask yourself, does a person on street has a shield on their chest with their name? While this might be common in first grade at school, it definitely isn't in the open world.

If you see a char and you find that char attractive, not saying sexual but a friendly looking face to maybe go on a journey together, then talk to this person ask who he or she is. That's Roleplaying, to just say "hey Chipmunk" want to go into the wilderness" isn't, as you just don't know the name before you actually made conversation.

For those that don't want to RP, moving over the char will unveil the name so that's sorted as well. Nameplates are not needed.

Guilds will get tabards, that's all what we need. It will work like with those rocker gangs in RL, you see their shirt and you know its the Banditos etc.

I do see char names in chat, I talked to someone and it showed my chars name. However, its not really immersive to see names - I mean people have not yet introduced themselves did they? A lot of the talking in an MMO should be with /s or /yell. We did so for years at Ultima, for me the best system yet. Especially if the distance mattered and you had to get closer to fully understand someone ;)

Chat bubbles make a game really silly. You have 10, 20 or even more of those black boxes on your screen, it totally ruins the immersion of the game. I actually have the whole chat turned off, as I find it silly to just fight a strong minion while someone writes in chat about him eating some chicken for diner or how his mean GF dumped him...

We have games with bubbles, plates and all that - TESO doesn't want to be one of those, I think that's a fair deal and should be accepted. Roleplayers have a wonderful game with TESO, give us a housing system, some advanced shop system and let us make inventory for the house we live in - that would be fun, besides that I am quite happy atm.