The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Why players can't visit some locations after completing the quest?

DanielMorra
DanielMorra
✭✭✭
Hello, ESO Community! I've been traveling around Tamriel of the Second Era for more than a year and having a great pleasure from it, but I'm constantly coming across one unfortunate problem...

After completing a lot of quests, I cannot visit certain locations, as they become closed, which is very annoying. I'm not talking about main quest locations which are available only during the main plot, because it is logical that you can't get there anymore. Right now I'm talking about such locations as: Scar in Ald'ruhn, Firemoth Island, Redoran Kinhouse, rooms of the Telvanni Towers on Vvardenfell, Hubalajad Palace in Hew's Bane, Orrery in Grahtwood and a bunch of smaller places. Opening access to these locations after completing the quest doesn't violate any game mechanics and doesn't violate narrative logic, and it will give players the opportunity of returning there, collecting all the missed books for the Eidetic Memory and make beautiful screenshots.

@ZOS_Edward @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, do you agree that it's unfair that players cannot visit many old locations? Is there anything you can do about it in the future? And what do you think, ESO Community players?
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Eidetic memory books are, for the most part (bar a few odd bugged ones), available in the area outside the closed quests.

I get where you are coming from, and I do agree with you though.
    Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • DanielMorra
    DanielMorra
    ✭✭✭
    Bonzodog01 wrote: »
    The Eidetic memory books are, for the most part (bar a few odd bugged ones), available in the area outside the closed quests.

I know a few books which can't been obtained after you finished the quest, for example in Fort Morvunskar. I'm talking mostly about closed locations, not books.
    Edited by DanielMorra on May 18, 2018 9:30PM
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been annoyed at this since the very beginning as well. Some locations make sense that you can't visit again (if there has been some catastrophe or other major event, that would mean the area would be physically inaccessible), but then there are so many more that are just locked forever. So yeah, I would like to see them "unlock" some of the currently locked areas - as long as it doesn't violate anything lore or story wise :wink:
    Edited by NovaMarx on May 18, 2018 10:12PM
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • Barbantua
    Barbantua
    ✭✭
    I agree. This is somewhat discouraging and prevents a good immersion, denying belief in events around, when you see a door in front of you, which you can not pass. If there is a door, then it must be open or there must be a key somewhere nearby.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hello, ESO Community! I've been traveling around Tamriel of the Second Era for more than a year and having a great pleasure from it, but I'm constantly coming across one unfortunate problem...

After completing a lot of quests, I cannot visit certain locations, as they become closed, which is very annoying. I'm not talking about main quest locations which are available only during the main plot, because it is logical that you can't get there anymore. Right now I'm talking about such locations as: Scar in Ald'ruhn, Firemoth Island, Redoran Kinhouse, rooms of the Telvanni Towers on Vvardenfell, Hubalajad Palace in Hew's Bane, Orrery in Grahtwood and a bunch of smaller places. Opening access to these locations after completing the quest doesn't violate any game mechanics and doesn't violate narrative logic, and it will give players the opportunity of returning there, collecting all the missed books for the Eidetic Memory and make beautiful screenshots.

@ZOS_Edward @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, do you agree that it's unfair that players cannot visit many old locations? Is there anything you can do about it in the future? And what do you think, ESO Community players?

I hereby register my agreement to this. LET US BACK IN!
  • DanielMorra
    DanielMorra
    ✭✭✭
    up! Because it's important!
  • StrafeSinnlos
    StrafeSinnlos
    ✭✭✭
    Also the Sea Keep in Summerset, among others. I need those books pretty please!
  • OrdoHermetica
    OrdoHermetica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an aside, you actually can return to Firemoth Island at any point. There's a boat that takes you there in Seyda Neen.
  • Meesha1170
    Meesha1170
    ✭✭✭✭
    So agree, not only is it fun to revisit areas it would solve some of the eidetic memory issues that arise with each new dlc and chapter.
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely agree! Seeing the ESO world fill up is one of the things that keeps me hooked on the game, so it is a shame that some places which we visit are forever off the map after we finish 1 quest.

The example that annoys me most is the Fulstrom Homestead in Eastmarch. It is part of the thieves guild dlc and it fits perfectly into the gap in eastmarch.
    38771632_613.jpg

And in the missing section on the top right is the Fulstrom Homestead
    latest?cb=20160309143339

Other quest mini zones that have a map location (if you check the world map while you are there it shows your position in Tamriel):
    - the abandoned dark brotherhood sanctuary in Argonia
    - Jerral mountain lumber camp (probably the best forest ever made in either ESO or Skyrim)
    - the island the future wilderqueen grows up on/creates.
    - The island the veiled heritance trains recruits on
    - the ruined sword saint school Sai Sahan may return to.

It would be nice if completing the associated quest unlocked a wayshrine and showed the area on the main map.

#1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.