The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Channeled acceleration movement speed

citats
citats
✭✭✭
Casting channeled acceleration slows your movement speed down to a crawl. Compare this to dark deal, which has an identical tooltip structure but allows you to run at your characters full movement speed while casting. I believe this needs to be reworked because the (extremely short) movement speed buff that channeled acceleration provides is negated by the fact that you have to lose movement speed to cast it, making it, in my opinion, the least useful speed buff in the game.

Here are some possible changes that would make this ability viable for PvP:

1. Increase the duration of the speed buff to 30 seconds, this would put it more in line with speed pots and makes the sustain of this ability more realistic for stamina players. 30 seconds is long enough to let a player fight for a while and then duck into some LoS while they cast the ability, and then go back out and fight again. 9 seconds is not long enough for this.
2. Remove the movement speed slow on cast. Although sustain of this ability will still be difficult for stamina builds, it would give stamina players more of a reason to incorporate magicka regen into their builds, which will result in more build diversity and new styles of play. (This is a good thing)
3. Remove the movement speed buff and rework the skill entirely into a more offensive damage dealing skill. I don't much care for this option, nevertheless, I think it's reasonable for skills that deal damage and offer extremely strong debuffs (dark flare) to require that the caster remain stationary or slowed while casting.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are using channeled acceleration for Major Exedition you are doing it wrong.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we need movement speed. especially those of us in stealth, or we will die and have zero defenses.

Zenimax, please do not change movement speeds and sneak speeds, we stealthers need the speeds or we wont be able to play stealth.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This skill has the potential to be the magicka version of Rapid Maneuver. If only it could be cast while on horse and gave Major Gallop for 30 seconds.
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a 1.3 sec cast time, I think you'll be ok.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krayl wrote: »

not true, when you cast this, the movement speed should be "instant" and we should not be forced to wait around and die because we could not get out of the way of something that has too much damage and kills us.

Edited by Gilvoth on August 30, 2018 7:35PM
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

not true, when you cast this, the movement speed should be "instant" and we should not be forced to wait around and die because we could not get out of the way of something that has too much damage and kills us.

Use the other morph then.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cast it when you're safe. a few extra seconds not having minor force isn't going to make or break anything. Or use rearming trap.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    both not true, again, the problem is "we need immediate speed boost and not be forced to wait", because it not only breaks stealth, but it also does not work fast enough to get us out of harms way.
    we are not looking for your personal ideas to help this, we are asking for Zenmimax to change in the way the skill works.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    30 seconds is too long, there is no skill in the game that provides major expedition for that long. The only valid criticism I see here is the slower movement speed during channel. Your example of dark deal/exchange isn't very appropriate. It is for semi-instant resource return, the con is that you need to channel it and you spend a a good deal of resources to do it. It would be unusable if you had to walk slower and it provides 0 long term buffs.

Channeled acceleration is a buff. You can precast it before a fight. It's not really used for major expedition, it's a plus side but it's about the minor force for 30 seconds more so. I think it's pretty balanced all things considered, the instant cast version is mediocre however.

Edit: Obviously rapids has major expedition for 30sec, but rapids is purely for speed purposes while the speed on this buff is the sub buff and the main focus of the skill is for minor force.

Similar skills: Boundless Storm/Quick Cloak, etc.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on August 30, 2018 8:17PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't even consider using this skill unless they both remove the snare while casting and increase the speed buff duration. Even then, that'll only bring it up to par, and it's still hard to give up another skill to make room for it. Add Major Gallop and let me cast it while mounted and we're in business.
    Edited by Gnortranermara on August 30, 2018 8:04PM
  • montiferus
    montiferus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we have a mixture of PVE and PVP people in here and that could be causing the confusion. In a PVE context it is fine. From a PVP perspective the way it functions is clunky on cast.
  • montiferus
    montiferus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    If you are using channeled acceleration for Major Exedition you are doing it wrong.

Umm no not at all. If you are using this skill in PVP the Major Expedition is very valuable.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I pretty much view channeled as a bombing or PvE morph, and race against time as an all-around PvP morph.

Using race against time, I don't maintain near 100% uptime on either, but I buff for damage during disconnects or LOS windows and buff for the speed where appropriate.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    both not true, again, the problem is "we need immediate speed boost and not be forced to wait", because it not only breaks stealth, but it also does not work fast enough to get us out of harms way.
    we are not looking for your personal ideas to help this, we are asking for Zenmimax to change in the way the skill works.

''We're not looking for your personal ideas to help this, we're looking for mine''

Play a vampire mNB if you want stealth speed, stamina NB cant have everything
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    montiferus wrote: »
    Royaji wrote: »

Umm no not at all. If you are using this skill in PVP the Major Expedition is very valuable.

I would say that relying on Channeled Acceleration for Major Expedition is a bad idea for PvP. You can either use the other morph that is more suited for PvP (and offers a stronger mobility increase) or use one of the other options to get Major Expedition like pots.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps this was never meant to be a PVP used/abused skill?

The other morph gives shorter duration, instant cast, and reduced sprint speed. Us that one.
  • citats
    citats
    ✭✭✭
    To be clear, this discussion is regarding the PvP viability of the ability and does not pertain to PvE, which to my knowledge is not affected by major expedition. The fact that this skill has major expedition at all implies that zos would like the skill to be viable in PvP.

I think that a lot of people don't realize that a source of major expedition which stays active while in combat is actually very difficult to access for many players. Those without a class source of the buff have to resort to dodge rolling with a bow or using speed pots. Forcing a player to use a bow for this greatly restricts which abilities, types of builds, and playstyles that they are able to use. It is also a waste of resources and is not sustainable in light armor or heavy armor. Requiring players to use a bow for this buff kills off a LOT of potential build diversity. Speed pots work great for this buff and are probably BiS for a lot of builds; here's why I hate them: Today, the typical cost of crafting a single speed pot is about 145 gold. To perform optimally in a fight, you will want to pop one of these every 30 seconds, so that means it costs 290 gold per minute of fighting. For one hour of fighting, it will cost you 17400 gold to keep this buff up. This cost goes up even further if you don't find good deals on the crafting materials, or if you don't have all the alchemy passives. This really sucks. Especially when this cost could be completely avoided given a viable speed buff skill, which could just be used in conjunction with any junk pots or alliance vendor pots for the same effect.

This skill has the potential to be an alternative to the above which is why I think it should be given more attention.
    Edited by citats on September 1, 2018 12:04AM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does feel pretty clunky to get self-snared for 2s while casting a speed boost skill. If it must have a cast time, it should really be usable at full running speed (which would still prevent sprinting). Or better yet, drop the cast time entirely.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on September 1, 2018 6:55AM
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just get rid of the snare on all cast time spells. Why does ZOS love snares so much?
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All channeled mechanics need a rework. Nothing can be interupted nowadays... The fix you are asking for is noting compared to how far wrong the channeled mechanics went.