Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How many crafting professions can one character realistically develop?

Kingcroft
Kingcroft
✭✭
There are Six crafting professions and I want to have characters who develop different skills. I would rather have two characters develop 3 craftings skills each but I wonder if this is realistic. Should I do 3 characters:2 skills each?
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    You can realistically develop them all. Some might take longer than others and benefit from having a second character split the research load.
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • Cwynlaen
    Cwynlaen
    ✭✭
    Each of the researchable skills have their own research queues, so you can research a Blacksmith trait at the same time as a Woodworking and Clothier trait. Blacksmithing has a line of heavy armor and a line of weapons to research. Clothiers have a line of light and medium armor to research. Woodworkers have the least: the four staff types, bows, and shields. So you can have three traits being researched at any time, provided you've a piece of equipment with a trait to research. I'd suggest once per day/game session you hit the crafting tables and start researching a new line in each craft. After the third trait in each line under a craft, it will literally take days to research a trait.

Alchemy & Enchanting "research" can be ignored largely with a cheatsheet. Provisioning is limited by recipes (and ingredients) you'll have to find in your adventures or trading with other players.

Constructing/Deconstructing is your primary method for gaining crafting levels and is virtually instantaneous provided you have the materials (which can be stored in you bank from various alts).
  • Kingcroft
    Kingcroft
    ✭✭
    I am surprised to by this answer, isn't there a lvl cap therefore making it difficult to develop too many different skill lines? Your skill point being limited, forces you to be economical with how you develop. Is this not true?
  • Cwynlaen
    Cwynlaen
    ✭✭
    From what I've read, there are currently 300 potential skill points available in the game, more than enough for your class. Use them according to your priority. You may not care to fully fill out a crafting tree. And I imagine, with future expansions, we get access to more potential skill points.
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kingcroft wrote: »
    There are Six crafting professions and I want to have characters who develop different skills. I would rather have two characters develop 3 craftings skills each but I wonder if this is realistic. Should I do 3 characters:2 skills each?

All of them
  • Osi
    Osi
    ✭✭✭
    Develop them all and respec as necessary to make the gear you need.

If you don't want to respec, you can realistically specialize in 2 per character without impacting combat.
  • JohnG
    JohnG
    ✭✭✭
    One option is to make a dedicated crafter. Level your main character and toss all the junk you get in your bank and have the crafter break it down to level there crafting skills. Will still have to put some point into the crafters combat skills, but just the bare minimum to level and get to skyshards.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Realistically, you could do them all. But...

1) There is a limit on how much space you have to store crap. So if you are doing them all at once, it will get crowded.

2) It is a bit more time consuming the more you do, so you will level more slowly in non-crafting stuff.

If all you want to do is craft though, you could do all professions on one character.

• SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised to by this answer, isn't there a lvl cap therefore making it difficult to develop too many different skill lines? Your skill point being limited, forces you to be economical with how you develop. Is this not true?
    You can get skill points merely for exploring. Both XP and Skyshards.
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    Certain quests reward them too. There isn't as much a shortage of skill point as you'd think, plus you can always re-spec your skills points (given that you only need so many abilities for your bars, it's not hard to trim them down)
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • Tamisan
    Tamisan
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you really want one toon to spend time and resources on all the crafts, it's doable. Is it practical and useful? Probably not. I'd say two is a good number per character. So make three or more characters who have 1 to 2 crafting skills each.
    I know now what I was born to do.
    ―Martin Septim
  • Danarchist
    Danarchist
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine is leveling a character up into the mid 20's then respeccing her and using all the skill points for trade skills. He has a "bank bot" already for each tradeskill "set" to store materials and stuff to research. He also plans to sell off leftover materials once he hits the next tier so he is not hanging onto 200 copper bars for instance when he is already past steel. Seems like the most logical way to me, it also keeps him from having to get the same motif books for multiple characters.