Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do you test/judge someone before adding them to your raid group?

TheNightflame
TheNightflame
✭✭✭✭✭
Are there achievements you look for (i.e. as a tank did you complete MHK hardmode)? do you look for someone who's solo healed vso or cleared other trials with certain configurations? do you look for a flawless conqueor as a dd? what do you look for when end game recruiting.
  • snegurd
    snegurd
    ✭✭
    Assuming you're talking about a long term recruitment (to a guild or something) it depends on the size and stature of the group. Looking for things that are actually applicable to group play is always important though. Flawless is a great achievement, but shows that the player can follow mechanics - not necessarily that they have good DPS (when I first got Flawless my max DPS was about 15k).

For smaller guilds (like mine) we like to run vet DLC hardmodes with new members to see what they do first hand. BRF for tanks, RoM for healers, SCP for DDs. This can be challenging for larger guilds with too many players coming in to run with them all so trial achievements for tanks and healers and a DPS dummy parse for DDs tends to work well. If a tank or healer has cleared a vet trial they can probably clear another one (or vMoL/vHoF/vAS/vCR for more elite groups) and for DDs a parse of over 25k is a pretty standard requirement (35k for harder content).

If you're asking about picking up players for a random trial group (a PUG) I would suggest asking for the achievement related to clearing the trial you're running. The only real way to know if PUG players will be successful is if they've cleared it before.
    PC | NA
    Guildmaster of Noob Nation

Snegurd Limp-Spear: Nord DK tank
    Milamber of Midkemia: Breton Sorc dps

Flawless Conqueror | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Assistant Alienist | Shadow Breaker | Blackrose Executioner
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, in trial guilds I've played with dds had to provide a few dps parses, usually one from a dummy and a few more from vet trial bosses. Then based on those parses and dd's trial experience they would be either rejected or invited to a test raid.
    For tanks and healers it was pretty much the same, but instead of dps you had to screenshot your buff uptimes (such as Alcosh, combat prayer etc).
    Experience is always a plus, but the requirements depend on the guild and it's goals. Obviously a group that is practicing for Gryphon heart will require more than a group that just started Craglorn hardmodes.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dancing skills and RP immersion aptitude....everything else can be taught...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Titles and Parses dont mean ***, so many people tried getting into good guilds with horribly paint-edited screenshots.
    Only way to find out if someone is good or not is to put them in on Tryouts for several raids throughout a week (or more if its long term recruitment) and judge them by their live performance (how often they die, how familiar with certain mechanics, dps, debuff/buff uptimes if tank/heal etc.).
    Also besides ingame performance it always helps if the people you are recruiting have a friendly and social attitude.
    Edited by ATomiX96 on August 28, 2018 8:29PM
  • BooPerScOOper
    BooPerScOOper
    ✭✭✭
    What we do
    After they have submitted the required information we take them through vSCP & vFL try HM on both. We see if they follow instruction, follow mechanics, Don't stand in red, doesn't make excuses, able to be friendly/non-toxic (normal convos, joking, laughing and having a good time) Look at group and their dps or hps, if tank keeps taunt, keeps up crusher, puts boss in the correct place.

After that we run the 3 crags and see how they do.
    Edited by BooPerScOOper on August 29, 2018 8:06PM
  • Svenja
    Svenja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For DDs, we usually talk to them about their dps on a dummy, gear they use and trial achievements. For healers and tanks we check if they have the gear sets they should have, and trial experience as well. That's just to filter out people who absolutely don't fit into our group's playstyle. (we want people who basically run in BiS gear. If you want to heal in Seducer and Wyrd Tree sets and refuse to use other stuff, great for you, but our group wants and needs the "mainstream" support sets. Same goes with full heavy armor magicka DDs and whatnot.)

We then invite them for a test raid evening where we usually do vAA Hardmode (to compare dps to our other DDs or to check uptimes, as the bosses there are giant target dummies) and vMoL (to check awareness and movement - for example, if the tryout is a magicka DD or a healer, he usually has to kite meteors on Rakkhat). If that evening went well, we invite them to a "tryout phase". They'll just run whatever trial we are currently working on with us, even if we can't clear it yet we still can see if they fit into the group and how they play.
    After two weeks the group usually votes if the tryout player can join the group or not.
    :) Works well.
    PC | EU

Svea Rochaud | Templar Healer | AD
    Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror - Immortal Redeemer - Tick-Tock-Tormentor - Gryphon Heart - Spirit Slayer
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my guild we want to see raiding experience, DPS on dummy (for DDs only) and builds. If that's all fine we invite them for a usually four week test phase were they can and have to join open raids and we check how they generally behave and perform. For our core group we have the same system, but with higher requirements and a additional testing phase inside the group.
    It worked reasonably well so far. Actually doing live parses and talking about them is in my experience a lot better then having people send you screenshots.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pull them into a trial, if they're good they're good, if not they're not.

Call it 'on the job evaluation'.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fill them with alcohol over the usual period of a trials evening and wait to hear when their head hits the keyboard.
    If they last at least as long as our usual raid time - good job, your'e in! And cheers! ;)
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Deathcounters work real wonders.

I don't care if you parse 50K on a dummy if you die every single encounter that basically means nothing as you take another DPS from doing Mechanics/DPS.
  • royo
    royo
    ✭✭✭
    Run maw hm 4 or 5 times and post parses after boss fights for dps. For supports, it's usually easy for the other supports to tell.
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Process varies depending on which guild is recruiting. If I had to pick one to ensure I get a dedicated raiding group, I'd go with:
    1. Require the applicant to go to a website and fill in an application form so that the applicant can say which roles he can fill, what is his/her overall trial experience and why he is interested in joining. This allows you to easily filter a lot of really bad applications, such as those only joining to get achievements and then leave, those lacking experience, those ready to fake parses (it's EXTREMELY easy to spot photoshopped ones).
    2. Take the applicant for a trial period (between 1 and 3 weeks usually), during which you ask the applicant to keep parses from Combat metrics. Keep footage, track deaths and performance in raid compared to other members.
    3. Have the rest of the group discuss what they think of the applicant in light of data collected during step 2), then accept or reject application.

PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    Titles and Parses dont mean ***, so many people tried getting into good guilds with horribly paint-edited screenshots.
    Only way to find out if someone is good or not is to put them in on Tryouts for several raids throughout a week (or more if its long term recruitment) and judge them by their live performance (how often they die, how familiar with certain mechanics, dps, debuff/buff uptimes if tank/heal etc.).
    Also besides ingame performance it always helps if the people you are recruiting have a friendly and social attitude.

Pretty much this though parses in real fights do mean something. A player who need dies but pulls 5k dps might have room for improvement.
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running a difficult 4 man dungeon like vSCP is best because you can see what each player is doing the whole time and you only need a few other guys to go along. DPS really only matters when it is DPS in actual fights with mechanics to deal with and real fights are the only way to test tanks and heals. Doing content like this gives you a good understanding of how a player will really perform in a trial.

As for parses and titles, sure, they do often get folks in the door for trials but I don't scribble anything next to their name in my notes until I have seen how they play in this kind of settings. Test dummy heros are a dime a dozen and many are not good for anything but dying in a real setting because they are trying to keep up with some complicated meta rotation that is more than they can handle. They fail to see every mechanic while they do it.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a DPS then you need to look at their parses but don't be too strict about it until you see them in action. (My guild requires 30k for the core group at minimum, but 25k for backup players and otherwise)

I think in order to really judge somebody, you actually need to bring them into a few trials with you. You won't know until you see them in the environment you're recruiting them for. If their parse DPS is lower than you'd like, but they follow mechanics well and have a good attitude, then your guild should help them optimize their character to be more effective.
    Edited by CyberSkooma on August 31, 2018 4:59PM
    I play this game a little bit I guess
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First step is a video of your dps on a dummy. If it looks good you come with us and we see if you have situation awareness and how your movement is. We might do another raid buff dps check. If you dont stand in red all the time, res people who might be lying next to you and if you can follow simple instructions you are in :wink:
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sudaki_eso wrote: »
    First step is a video of your dps on a dummy. If it looks good you come with us and we see if you have situation awareness and how your movement is. We might do another raid buff dps check. If you dont stand in red all the time, res people who might be lying next to you and if you can follow simple instructions you are in :wink:

A video? Why a video? Is it just because you're on PS4 and there's no better way to record damage ?
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DO NOT look at their achievements. The amount of account sellers recently is insane.
    Test their knowledge I would say, and communication. If they can't even communicate they will sooner or later be pain to deal with in a guild.

When we was recruiting for end game guild, we actually recruited low cp players as well, just because of the fact they understood the game and was cooperative and we knew they eventually would get the dps needed. So long story short, look for a long therm goal imh.
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DO NOT look at their achievements. The amount of account sellers recently is insane.
    Test their knowledge I would say, and communication. If they can't even communicate they will sooner or later be pain to deal with in a guild.

When we was recruiting for end game guild, we actually recruited low cp players as well, just because of the fact they understood the game and was cooperative and we knew they eventually would get the dps needed. So long story short, look for a long therm goal imh.

I've come across quite a few high-cp, tryhard players that are unable to communicate in a trial. They can play with their own personal groups but a progression run? Yeah right.
  • SockFiddler
    SockFiddler
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't this depend on what the aim of your group is in the first place?

"Finish vMoL HM" group, you're going to want experienced players with decent damage and survivability who can work as a team. But... (imo) there's not enough people offering what comes between that super-high level of expectation and the very lowest "LFM 4DD nAA" you see in Craglorn.

A progression group should be just that. No matter how good the player, if they've no experience grouping with 11 other people, they're going to need time to learn how that works. And the only way that's going to work is through communication. Raid Notifier and a sense of willingness would be my ideal requirements - DPS, CP, build specifics can all be worked on, but if you have a surly smart-alec who imagines their 50k on a dummy is all they need, you're not going to get far at all.

That's the guy who's going to wipe your group each attempt, not the guy with 25k DPS who listens to their raid leader's instructions.

To flip it around, I'd not bother with jumping through hoops to join a group that requires a video of my dummy parse and a screenshot of whatever achievements I've already earned. It's kinda of insulting to require that level of proof that you don't suck, and does absolutely nothing to build camaraderie. Just save everyone some time and run a couple of vet dungeons with them.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've come across quite a few high-cp, tryhard players that are unable to communicate in a trial. They can play with their own personal groups but a progression run? Yeah right.

They were talking about achievements no longer being a good measurement of experience. It has always been known CP does not mean a player knows what they are doing.
  • boombazookajd
    boombazookajd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The raid guild that I am in on xbox 1 requires a vet cert from an officer to run vet content. They have a core group, two actually I believe, and then we have open sign-ups for various vet and normal trials held throughout the week.

The vet cert just requires me to parse 25k+. Now I imagine this is just to be able to sign up for vet trials and from there if I were to display improper behavior I'd certainly wind up hearing about it.

They are very friendly and willing to teach on all of the trials I have been on so far. They have progression groups and a core team.
    Drathus Delenu- Dunmer magDk: Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Stormproof, Peak Scaler, Clockwork Confounder, Orderly, Master Wizard, Cloudrest Hero, Undaunted, Dragonstar Arena Champion
    Thoronir Rolston- Breton petsorc: Stormproof
    Zaakazha-Redguard stamblade: Boethia's Scythe, Clockwork Confounder, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Dragonstar Arena Champion

Scrubs:
    Justinius Maximus Decimus- Altmer magblade
    Agronak gro'Mashul- Orc DK Tank
    Valerya Hawkcroft- Breton healer
    Zaaka- Imperial stamDK/crafter

✭✭✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »

I don't care if you parse 50K on a dummy if you die every single encounter that basically means nothing as you take another DPS from doing Mechanics/DPS.

If you like death counting Addons, then you'll probably get a kick out of this one
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A video? Why a video? Is it just because you're on PS4 and there's no better way to record damage ?

Yup pretty much sums it up. Since we have no add ons you will just get a short message at the end of the dummy what your dps are.
    A screenshot will do but we also like to look at you cp's, gear and mundus and instead of sending a couple of screenshots you just do your parse on the dummy, open your inventory and gear, quickly show us you blue cps and your mundus.
    On the ps4 you simpy hit a button and press square and the video is done, its not much of a problem, no extra app needed, its a build in function.
    It also makes it easier to give advice on your rotation and the skills you used. We recently tried to open up a third progression team in our guild and had people apply for it, you wont believe how many players we had who were playing in first person view or had some really strange 3rd person view settings. A quick 1.30min video makes it much easier to help.

PS4 EU - StamDK
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what your group is doing.

Basic knowledge, good communication, good attitude and average DPS should be the requirements tho, knowledge & DPS can be improved, comms and attitude not so much.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drummerx04 wrote: »
    karekiz wrote: »

If you like death counting Addons, then you'll probably get a kick out of this one

The death counter is cool but I don't like to hold it against players unless somebody is a very obvious outlier. Everybody needs to learn.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LFM PUG VET TRIAL RAID - MUST LINK ACHIEVEMENTS!