Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Armor degrades without dying?

PVT_Parts
PVT_Parts
✭✭✭
So armor degrades and loses its strength when fighting enemies even without dying? How am I supposed to pay for repairs if it costs 40gp to repair the damage from killing 20-30 NPCs that drop 1gp max? The math doesn't seem to add up and it appears that we will get stuck with 0 gold and no armor at the end of the cycle.
  • lordspyder
    lordspyder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get a significant amount more from quests. then there is also vendor trash, and selling your crafted items, there is plenty of gold to go around.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone hits you in your breastplate with a mace, it gets a dent. ;)
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • lordspyder
    lordspyder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    If someone hits you in your breastplate with a mace, it gets a dent. ;)

this

• Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simple. Gather which ever resource you like, iron, wood and sell it in guild store or sell to a vendor. Alternate, scavenge barrels and stuff, make provisions, sell in guild store or to vendor. The mats from provisioning dont sell but make a drink or food and it does, easy money.

Note: If you do sell mats to vendor then make sure you refine them first as you can get rare resources from them that will sell for even more gold. Use guild store or use chat to tout those wares.

Its logical that armour will degrade from being bashed, so will a weapon!

EDIT: I wouldn't repair your gear in the first 10 levels or even 20 because you will change it so often. If you die a lot then it maybe better to just keep spares and replace with those rather than shelling out 400g which is a lot at first.
    Edited by Loxy37 on April 4, 2014 4:12AM
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    it is logical, but by that logic we would also always get a staff drop from killing a wizard or a sword drop from killing a warrior. I understand that it should degrade, but the money gathered should be more than repair costs, I'm not far enough or played enough to mess with the crafting system yet, and havn't encountered any tutorial or hints on how to do it, so I've just been gathering the resources for it without delving into it yet. It may be lots of money to craft, but I want to mob grind so I can continue questing without dying first.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what you're doing, but I've honestly made more than enough gold to support repair costs and have plenty left.

I'm level 8 and just spent 1,400 gold to respec skills... still have about 1,000 gold left.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't played a lot then excuse me for saying that you really need to spend either more time playing to get the hang of it or read some guides.

Crafting is easy. Anyone can gather and craft everything straight from the get go, so get out there and gather. Just spend 10 minutes reading a craft guide.

Heres a good one.
    http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/crafting-guide/
    Edited by Loxy37 on April 4, 2014 4:17AM
  • lordspyder
    lordspyder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My character is lvl 9 and I just paid to have my bank space opened up for 1000g and still have almost 2000g. I don't go out of my way to farm it either.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completing quests and loot drops along with bosses will see you bursting with armour in no time at all, I wouldn't worry about it to.

As an example, my level 10 Elven Archer has collected enough Armour not to worry about doing repairs, and when I say enough Armour, I mean several sets of everything, although I've found that I'm light on with Helms and shoulder Armour. Everything else seems to be in abundant supply.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also forgot to add. If you play another character then make sure you loot everything in ColdHarbour (Where you start) as those mats alone can help you get started + 40+ lockpicks, gear to last till level 5. Also make sure if you haven't that you do the starter island. You should have got a quest for it when you exited coldharbour. You can go back there any time and there's lots of mats there to farm with easy mobs and not too many people although it could be busy again today and tomorrow with the official release.

Note: After exiting coldharbour and you arrive it your factions town, there will be an npc with a quest that tell you to talk to someone at the docks, go there and talk to them for passage to the starter island. It used to be compulsory to go there but they changed it so now you have choice.
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    lordspyder wrote: »
    My character is lvl 9 and I just paid to have my bank space opened up for 1000g and still have almost 2000g. I don't go out of my way to farm it either.

Which alliance are you because I'm lvl 9 and can't get over 1300gp. Do you sell everything to the alliance guild or what? I just discovered that as a thing. Maybe they need more tutorial help in this game or something, it's like you have to stumble upon these features without knowing about them. I guess I just don't read enough 3rd party guides like everyone else? I just figured no bank or AH because that's what it's been in every TES.
    Edited by PVT_Parts on April 4, 2014 4:18PM
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    PVT_Parts wrote: »
    So armor degrades and loses its strength when fighting enemies even without dying? How am I supposed to pay for repairs if it costs 40gp to repair the damage from killing 20-30 NPCs that drop 1gp max? The math doesn't seem to add up and it appears that we will get stuck with 0 gold and no armor at the end of the cycle.
    Even just doing nothing but killing NPCs I am seeing far more than enough gold to repair my equipment.

That being said, you can get gold for free just by harvesting plants and selling them, even if you are not interested in crafting. If you really want to make gold, crafting is probably the most efficient way to do it. But gold does not matter as much in this game as in other games.
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    PVT_Parts wrote: »
    Even just doing nothing but killing NPCs I am seeing far more than enough gold to repair my equipment.

That being said, you can get gold for free just by harvesting plants and selling them, even if you are not interested in crafting. If you really want to make gold, crafting is probably the most efficient way to do it. But gold does not matter as much in this game as in other games.

when you have no horse and need to repair armor and increase you bag and bank space, gold matters.
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At level 10 , my Nord DK has over 2k gold in on her. My 9 Bosmer Nightblade has 1.5k. And that is after buying crafting mats, expanding two bags, buying extra bank space and feeding two horses.

There is plenty of money to be had between quest rewards, gold drops and vendor trash. And yes, Virginia, there are dents in my armor from being beaten upon and set aflame.
    Edited by Azzuria on April 4, 2014 5:10PM
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • bbadeau
    bbadeau
    I’m new to MMOs but have played many RPGs over the years. Most of them have the same problem when it comes to gold acquisition. It’s painfully slow at first until you figure out the best methods for getting it.

I agree with the person that looting bodies for a single gold piece is a bit silly but there seems to be a percentage of them that have things of value that make up for the lack.

Locked chests usually have good stuff in them as well as gold. They’re hard to find but worth looking for.

It’s already been pointed out that mining resources is also a good way to generate a little extra coin.

Learning the game is an important part of playing the game.