The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How much spell penetration should a mag dd be getting?

md3788
md3788
✭✭✭
I’m currently hitting 10.2k spell pen or so with elemental drain. I only have few points into spell erosion. Should I be looking to get closer to the spell pen cap?
vFG1 HM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i aim for 9k self pen, without major breach.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Around 7k should be a nice spot to aim for.

Overland mobs have 12k resistance (AFAIK) so with major breach (5.2k) you'll be at that

Dungeon/Trial mobs have 18.2k but with a decent tank they should provide 10k~ penetration, if you have a templar in the group there's another 1.5k so you'll be at cap.
    Edited by Sparr0w on August 30, 2018 1:33PM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what? Dungeons and trials?
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »

Overland mobs have 12k resistance (AFAIK) so with major breach (5.2k) you'll be at that

Dungeon/Trial mobs have 18.2k but with a decent tank they should provide 10k~ penetration, if you have a templar in the group there's another 1.5k so you'll be at cap.

overland is 9k.
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    For what? Dungeons and trials?
    Yes primarily that is what I do. I noticed even in a 4 man group with a tank I was only hitting 10.2k pen.
    vFG1 HM
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »

Right now I’m around 5.2k without major breach. I assume the only way to increase that is CP?

Edit: @Sparr0w
    Edited by md3788 on August 30, 2018 2:09PM
    vFG1 HM
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lightspeedflashb14_ESO Ty I'll remember for next time :)
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aim for 9k or below. Overland has 9.1k and dungeons/bosses have 18.2k.

Use 9k or below as a base, even if you also have major breach because you will probably run dungeons/raids where monsters have that 18.2k

Light armor gets about 5k just from 5 light. invest 2-4k penetration in to cp. Adjust depending on your group comp.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Marshall1289 thank you very much for this great info.

I just looked at my magic elves and what you say is spot on. My magsorc gets 9100 pen from light armor x5 combined with 55CP in Spell Erosion.

Just for info while I was looking, I noted from items in my bank that Spinners x5 = 3450 and a gold sharpened staff = 2750.

I also run a couple stam bowbow elves and, since stam chars won't have a similar armor bonus to weapon penetration it becomes clear why Spriggans is such a nice set (3470 weapon penetration for x5 bonus).
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on August 30, 2018 5:50PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @AcadianPaladin NP

Honestly depends what content you run. TBH having 9.1k penetration for me is too much as a base. I usually do 4 man dungeons and raids so 9.1k will put me over the 18.2k mark in a group with major fracture/minor fracture/alkosh/and crusher infused enchantment.

I don't really like adjusting my cp 24/7 and there is major diminishing returns in cp. So to me. My sweet spot is 8k base penetration. As a stam sorc, I don't have major fracture in my kit so in overland content I'm never over penetrating.

For mag toons with light armor. Just put the remaining penetration in to cp to reach that 8k. Thats only 3k penetration needed. Sharpened weapons and spinner set is kind of redundant. That's what makes mag classes very interesting, you have so many set options because without trying you meet the avg penetration needed for most content.

For stam toons. I use lover to get 4.2k pen and I get the the remaining 3.7k (+100 from base) in cp which costs 46 points. This is easy enough to obtain and with 780 cp now, there is still plenty of points for the other cp's.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also run a couple stam bowbow elves and, since stam chars won't have a similar armor bonus to weapon penetration it becomes clear why Spriggans is such a nice set (3470 weapon penetration for x5 bonus).

In end game pve content as a bow/bow user you would need a VMA bow. So don't use static sets like Spriggans, it's more of a PvP set imo.

So here's my explanation. For pretty much any person in the game you will have 2x monster set pieces 5x set body (this is your static set and active 24/7) and 5x set weapons/jewelery (active only on front bar) because you will use an ability altering weapon on your back bar. For bow/bow, VMA bow or Master.

The set that only works on your front you should aim to have a buff type of set instead of a static set.

Static sets: Hundings/Spriggans/Leviathan/Relequen(dont want to let those stacks falls off)
    Buff sets: Veiled Herritance/Advancing Yokeda/Ravaging/Twice Fanged Serpent/Briarheart

There isn't any good option for having penetration with a buff on both bars so my recommendation for your bow/bow build would be to use Lover mundus stone, VMA bow of course, veiled herritance as your buff set and relequen as your static set.

Relequen isn't good for every scenario though, but it's huge dps in boss fights where you can keep the stacks up. Veiled herritance requires transmutation on at least one of the jewelry's (You can leave 2 with hp stats if you are using dubious cameron throne because you need higher hp somehow anyway) You could go with briarheart but it has a 15sec cd with a 10sec buff giving you max uptime of 50-66%, with Veiled herritance you can get 90-100%.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP