Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Time for ZOS to re-instate the official ESO minimap.

Aurie
Aurie
✭✭✭✭✭
Now that Fyrakin's Minimap is no longer working since the Morrowind patch, isn't it about time ZOS re-introduced the official ESO minimap. It really shouldn't be necessary to have to use an addon for something as fundamental as a minimap.

I know that a 'fix' for Fyrakin has been posted, but that's not the point. Currently, not having been able to access minimap.lua to implement that fix, I've downloaded Votan's Minimap.....which is exactly the original ESO minimap before it was removed, and works fine. So WHY don't ZOS simply re-instate it??
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fair question.

Have it default to off, and let those who want it chose to turn it on.
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    AdvancedUI also features a decent minimap.
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • Sythen88411
    Sythen88411
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wtb mini map
    Edited by Sythen88411 on May 25, 2017 7:40PM
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Votan's works just as well as Fyrakin's. It may not have the number of features that Fyrakin's has, but it's re-sizable and customizable, and also shows lorebooks and skyshards etc. Perfectly practical if you don't need all the frills.

Can't imagine why on earth ZOS removed it in the first place.
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO has never ever had a official mini map, all have been addons, Fryakin etc.

Would be too much of a good idea to implement, but instead we have Crown purchased Bankers who disappear or run away from you which is irritating.

Sorry slight tangent there :D
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SHADOW2KK wrote: »

There was an ESO minimap in early beta. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/132060/who-thinks-zos-should-return-beta-minimap-with-an-option-to-turn-it-off/p1

Also, Votan himself says that 'This addon reactivates the mini map from ZOS'

• SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »

There was an ESO minimap in early beta. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/132060/who-thinks-zos-should-return-beta-minimap-with-an-option-to-turn-it-off/p1

Oh yeah, actually fair point, I do vaguely remember that from beta, my bad.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please no,they'd break it like everything else they touch
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    In case anyone hadn't already come across it, there was a quick and easy edit to fyrakin's addon. It was a notepad edit to the lua file, and that fixed it right up for me. The edit is documented on the comments tab of the addon page at esoui.com. I can't get to it for browser reasons at the moment, or else, i'd provide a URL.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah, actually fair point, I do vaguely remember that from beta, my bad.

This is why, Votan's even worked on the Morrwind PTS
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Mattock_Romulus
    Mattock_Romulus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fgoron2000 wrote: »
    In case anyone hadn't already come across it, there was a quick and easy edit to fyrakin's addon. It was a notepad edit to the lua file, and that fixed it right up for me. The edit is documented on the comments tab of the addon page at esoui.com. I can't get to it for browser reasons at the moment, or else, i'd provide a URL.

local AVA_OBJECTIVE_PINS_WITH_ARROWS =
    {
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_FLAG_ALDMERI_DOMINION] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_FLAG_EBONHEART_PACT] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_FLAG_DAGGERFALL_COVENANT] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_FLAG_NEUTRAL] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_BALL_ALDMERI_DOMINION] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_BALL_EBONHEART_PACT] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_BALL_DAGGERFALL_COVENANT] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_BALL_NEUTRAL] = true,
    }
    The variable AVA_OBJECTIVE_PINS_WITH_ARROWS is never used and only addressed in a commented section of code and never used. So, you can delete the above, or comment it out so it doesn't run with the block comment operator "--" ( ends at next "" ):

Code:
    --[[
    local AVA_OBJECTIVE_PINS_WITH_ARROWS =
    {
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_FLAG_ALDMERI_DOMINION] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_FLAG_EBONHEART_PACT] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_FLAG_DAGGERFALL_COVENANT] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_FLAG_NEUTRAL] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_BALL_ALDMERI_DOMINION] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_BALL_EBONHEART_PACT] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_BALL_DAGGERFALL_COVENANT] = true,
    [MAP_PIN_TYPE_BALL_NEUTRAL] = true,
    }
    --]]

I chose to delete the unused code and that fixed the problem.

Edit: Originally posted here: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info605-MiniMapbyFyrakin.html#comments
    Edited by Mattock_Romulus on May 30, 2017 5:19AM
  • Dharnagon
    Dharnagon
    ✭✭✭
    which one is better? fyrakin's, AUI or Votan's?
    I use AUI, but im feeling like removing it.
    The Pride of The Eagle is its power itself!
    Eagles, Advance!
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having originally used Fyrakin's, I've been very happy with Votan's for months now.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dharnagon wrote: »
    which one is better? fyrakin's, AUI or Votan's?
    I use AUI, but im feeling like removing it.

Fyrakins has many features, but the more you use the worse your performance will be. I used AUI for quite a while until Votans came out. It was quite good as well.

I have been using Votans exclusively for ~2 years now for it's simple features, and lightweight performance. This is the one I would recommend.
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    votan's is excellent, been using it for years.

today it crapped out on one of my fifteen characters. looking at the addon list, it insists it has a dependency on 3 different lib files.

interesting, given it works just fine on those other characters, obviously those files aren't missing, so wtf?

• SlippyCheeze
    SlippyCheeze
    ✭✭✭
    I've downloaded Votan's Minimap.....which is exactly the original ESO minimap before it was removed, and works fine. So WHY don't ZOS simply re-instate it??

Well, as you observe, it isn't for technical reasons. So the question is ... what other sort of reason could there be?

Perhaps, and I'm just speculating here ... perhaps ... they don't want a minimap in the game? For design reasons, or whatever else.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then they are not listening to their player base (surprise!).

An addon minimap is pretty much the first thing people go for.
  • SlippyCheeze
    SlippyCheeze
    ✭✭✭

Those seem rather strong assertions. Do you have any evidence to support them?

I mean, as a start, what proportion of players actually use more than zero addons at all?
  • thomas1970b16_ESO
    thomas1970b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Bandit user interface also has a minimap.
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've downloaded Votan's Minimap.....which is exactly the original ESO minimap before it was removed, and works fine. So WHY don't ZOS simply re-instate it??

Well, as you observe, it isn't for technical reasons. So the question is ... what other sort of reason could there be?

Perhaps, and I'm just speculating here ... perhaps ... they don't want a minimap in the game? For design reasons, or whatever else.

I think I read that they removed the minimap for more immersion.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ydrisselle wrote: »

I think I read that they removed the minimap for more immersion.

That may be, but at least give everyone the option. It would be a easy selection in the settings for “Minimap: On or Off”. You could also setup a hotkey in controls so that it can be easily toggled in-game if you needed to take a picture, etc.
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭

I mean, as a start, what proportion of players actually use more than zero addons at all?

i can't speak definitively for anyone else but myself, but it was certainly one of the first that I went for....and as far as zero addons (another rather strong assertion, albeit in the form of a question), based on the activity in the forum here under the dedicated section specifically for addons & UI mods, the existence of esoui.com itself, as well as the ongoing in-game chat, quite a few players use more than zero addons...
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fgoron2000 wrote: »

i can't speak definitively for anyone else but myself, but it was certainly one of the first that I went for....and as far as zero addons (another rather strong assertion, albeit in the form of a question), based on the activity in the forum here under the dedicated section specifically for addons & UI mods, the existence of esoui.com itself, as well as the ongoing in-game chat, quite a few players use more than zero addons...

Indeed.....thank you @fgoron2000. I couldn't agree more.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the eight yes please! It's not more immersive to constantly have to open up my map to insure that I'm still heading in the right direction. Can't tell you how .any times I tried not to open the .ap only to discover I'm going the wrong way.

Us console peons would love this quality of life improvement, well most of us I believe. For those that don't want it on screen there would be a toggle function as there is now for the ability bar, name tags, etc.

Can't believe they haven't taken the temperature of the player base to see how wanted this is.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • SlippyCheeze
    SlippyCheeze
    ✭✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »
    Can't believe they haven't taken the temperature of the player base to see how wanted this is.

I really don't understand this. You seem to be saying that the game designers should do anything that the players want, regardless of how their believe it improves or damages the game. Is that really what you think?
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't understand this. You seem to be saying that the game designers should do anything that the players want, regardless of how their believe it improves or damages the game. Is that really what you think?

Indeed, @SlippyCheeze you do appear not to understand. Nobody is implying that ZOS should do anything and everything we want. But they do have a habit of not seeming to listen to their playerbase. And when all's said and done, a game is for the enjoyment of the people playing it. That is what ZOS and any other game producer is there for, to make as good an experience as possible. For without a game that players enjoy, they would be out of business. Therefore it is in ZOS' interests to listen to their playerbase. I'm not saying that they never do, but the subject of a minimap doesn't seem to be on their agenda.

But, as people have said on the subject of the minimap, it would be such a simple solution to have a toggle on/off. That would keep everyone happy, except maybe you, as you don't understand. If you think minimaps ruin immersion or clutter up the UI, toggle it off. If you can't live without a minimap, toggle it on. Easy as that. Perhaps, if ZOS are listening, they might also think it is a good idea. We'll see.

If you don't think that there is as much support for a minimap as others believe, and that the lack of one is not leading to players using an addon, then I suggest you hold a poll to see what people really think. If you don't then maybe I will, just to clear this matter up.
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk about jumping to extreme conclusions. Nobody said that the devs should do literally anything the players want. However, this is an MMO. Out of all game genres, MMOs have one of the strongest intersections between developer vision and community vision. The game is built upon the community and continued involvement of the playerbase, so you can be certain that the developers must be extra mindful of the community reception to decisions that they make.

I would bet the clothes on my back that most players would prefer to have a minimap at the expense of "immersion". Despite my enjoyment of the game, there are quite a few glaring and frankly lazy issues with the UI that are inexcusable at this point given the significantly negative community feedback to them. *cough* guild store interface *cough*