The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help Me Choose A Class!

Iskiab
Iskiab
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I'm new to ESO and have been having a hard time choosing a class. I've tried out a warden, which I didn't like because of the pet, and a magblade which is too much a caster for me.

I generally like pvp and pve, and like playing primarily a dps (usually a rogue type) or a healer. Right now my magblade is level 23 but I feel more like a wizard then a rogue type player. After some research I chose Nightblade because from what I read as a healer they do well and are primarly hot healers (which I like). Unfortunately on the dps side I prefer to use a bow than a staff and am not enjoying the flow of the class.

What other options are there for me? My magblade is a high elf which is a no-go for a stamblade, and since I'm only level 23 it'll be easy to reroll another character. Here are my questions:

Is there a stamina based healer?
Are there any magic based classes that use bows or melee weapons?
I've read bow/bow isn't competitive for dps but bow/dw is, does bow/dw mean that you're ranged with melee options or does it mean you're basicly a melee class?
I've read that the classes change all the time, are stamina based bow builds lower dps by design (as part of the dev's design philosophy) or is it a short term slump?
Are some classes better at switching between playing as a healer and dps?

Thanks
Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
Havoc Warhammer - Alair
LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can pull off stamina healing for normal dungeons / easy vet dungeons once you get Vigour(from pvp-rank), especially on a Warden with spores. ALso Bone Shields from undaunted, although stamina isn't really good for healing.

You can run Dual Wield on a magicka build(passive increases damage by 5% or so.. but it's not really efficient to use skills from that skill line).

Bow/dw means that bow has some nice Damage-Over-Times, that stacks well with the Damage-Over-Times from Dual Wield(Mainly bleeds). For PvE-DPS, you basically rotate your DoTs and use light attacks in-between skills. Heavy attacks if you need stamina. But you have ot be in melee range for it.

If you'd want a class that excels at DPS, but also got the abilities/passives to have the best raw healing-output, go for Magblade. Ranged magblade that is, so basically a ranged caster with stealth-skill. Although, magblade is the best class/spec for both PvE and PvP atm, or at least top-tier in both. So it's a safe-pick that never really falls off, due to it's insane passives.

For PvP you can do melee magblade with concealed weapon, although... Generally Stamina classes utilises.. Stamina(Not magic) so they're mainly using (melee)weapons, whereas Magicka generally utilises magic, so staves / ranged.

Edit: Hope it's somewhat helpful. Although ESO let you run whatever you want. You can be Magicka Nightblade to wield Sword, but in other games only e.g. "Warriors" can wield swords. So theoreticially you can do whatever you want. But it's not recommended.
    Edited by Lieblingsjunge on August 25, 2018 11:58AM
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hum, thanks. You're recommending magblade but that's what I've been leveling and I'm just not that into the class. If I was carrying a bow instead of a staff I might enjoy it more, weird I know but being a caster just doesn't appeal to me.

Could it possibly be my level? I'm level 23, so maybe the class changes more later on? I love the stealth aspect, and think nightblade is the class for me but can't get over the hurdle of being a caster. I've been thinking of creating a stamblade but if I do it sounds like healing is out of the question.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PvP: Healers need to be kidna tanky to survive so being DPS and healer would be tricky. Healer warden with thicket instead of the bear is powerful and fun healer. Templar is also tons of fun and the javelin plays kinda like a ranged weapon.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most healers cast spells.

If you can’t be a caster, then choose a Stamina class with vigor heals and a bow. Wardens are good Stamina healers and you don’t need to run the bear in that role. Stamplars are also decent with their class passives and vigor heals.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Quick question, is the only reason to run a stamina build to be melee? Looking at the classes and strengths, magic builds seem like they have more upside.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair