The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Need some help with Magblade

lucky_dutch
lucky_dutch
✭✭✭✭
I don't feel like I'm doing anywhere near enough damage outside of the incap-bow combo (which isn't enough kill anyone that isn't under-geared).

Weaving the dots & siphon with light attacks does so little damage that a simple shield will negate it so my only damage comes from set procs.

What am I doing wrong? Other classes like Magsorc seem to do 10x more burst than me and have way more healing to survive.
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are probably doing everything wrong.

mNB is far better than sorc in pressure, healing and even burst since the sorc one is always countered.

What's your gear, skill set ups ?
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need to list gear/skills/campaign/CP/mundus/potions for us to help :)
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aedaryl wrote: »
    You are probably doing everything wrong.

mNB is far better than sorc in pressure, healing and even burst since the sorc one is always countered.

What's your gear, skill set ups ?

Interesting that you should say this, Sorcs are always absolutely dominating every match I play. Seem to be able to burst people down inside a single rune cage sometimes! Crystal shards hits a lot harder than soul siphon and they have the lightning dash to escape, access to speed increase. IDK, just my subjective observation.

Anyway, about my stats:

I'm talking about BGs here so although I'm CP 320, I don't get to use any of them.

Sets are Shaklebreaker and Zaan both purple

Think my Mundus is Atronach but not sure

For food I try to get a good triple stat one but can't always afford the ingredients so sometimes just get +Stam +Mag

Damage skills are Siphon, Destro Clench, Crippling Grasp, Merciless Resolve and Incap. I also have refreshing path but tbh I struggle to get much value from it and was considering swapping for fear to keep me alive longer.
    Edited by lucky_dutch on August 24, 2018 9:02AM
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seem to be able to burst people down inside a single rune cage sometimes! Crystal shards hits a lot harder than soul siphon and they have the lightning dash to escape, access to speed increase. IDK, just my subjective observation.

That's because RuneCage is broken so people can't excape from it quickly. Sorcs have delayed burst with inbuilt execute, Curse>Fury>Rune>FP>Frag (+ execute) all hit at the same time, which is why you see insta kills from sorcs a bit. Takes a LOT of practice to get this perfected. Otherwise they go off at different times & the sorc stands there shield stacking away.

RE Frags hitting harder than Funnel... yeah since frags is a proc and funnel is a spammable... compare Frags with Merciless bow proc.

Escape NB's have either Image or Cloak, Image is very very effective if you can use it correctly, Cloak is great so long as no ones running detect.

Speed increase is built into NB kit, refreshing, cripple, double take etc.

• lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    Seem to be able to burst people down inside a single rune cage sometimes! Crystal shards hits a lot harder than soul siphon and they have the lightning dash to escape, access to speed increase. IDK, just my subjective observation.

That's because RuneCage is broken so people can't excape from it quickly. Sorcs have delayed burst with inbuilt execute, Curse>Fury>Rune>FP>Frag (+ execute) all hit at the same time, which is why you see insta kills from sorcs a bit. Takes a LOT of practice to get this perfected. Otherwise they go off at different times & the sorc stands there shield stacking away.

RE Frags hitting harder than Funnel... yeah since frags is a proc and funnel is a spammable... compare Frags with Merciless bow proc.

Escape NB's have either Image or Cloak, Image is very very effective if you can use it correctly, Cloak is great so long as no ones running detect.

Speed increase is built into NB kit, refreshing, cripple, double take etc.

Cloak is awesome obviously but there seems to be a lot of dots that knock you out of it + I seem to be permanently crippled & unlike my medium armor classes, I don't have a snare break. However, you're right, the nb does have some good ways to get away.

What about damage? Besides weaving light attacks into cripple, & siphon then using bow + incap for burst, how do I keep up high pressure? I think if i could do more damage this would help me survive too as I could put people on the defensive, right now my dmg is low so people just go all-out attack on me.
    Edited by lucky_dutch on August 24, 2018 9:28AM
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is your other set, you just have shackle and zaan down.
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    What is your other set, you just have shackle and zaan down.

Working towards Calurrions but getting the rings in purple is an exercise in frustration
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spinners is a solid second set, Calu is good for ganking, WM is decent, or even running mech acuity and FP/CS.

Depends if you want to be a glass cannon, in kill out type build, or if you want to stand your ground and apply constant pressure.
    Edited by Sparr0w on August 24, 2018 10:50AM
  • Pijng
    Pijng
    ✭✭✭
    Uh, well.
    UPD: Ok, you were talking about BG, when I'm talking about open world eh :( ... nvm, I'm not competent at BGs, better to wait for someone else. But I'll leave my comment here, maybe it will be helpful for someone, since thread called "Need some help with Magblade" but not "Need some help with Magblade in BGs".
    I don't feel like I'm doing anywhere near enough damage outside of the incap-bow combo (which isn't enough kill anyone that isn't under-geared).

To be honest, this combo can literally one-shot a lot of people, even competent ones in BiS gear (I mean, especially these ones, since you can't kill them just kiting and spamming skills.

I've seen you mentioned shackle and zaan as your sets but what is 3rd one?

I could advise my build, food, mundus stone etc, but the build I'm currently running is a "flat" one – pure damage, sustain from lich set and resto HA only, so... Well, ok, let's start with that, just for example

Monster set — Skoria
    5 pieces body — War Maiden
    3 jewelry + resto staff backbar — Lich
    Destro staff front bar — Moondancer (just because I don't have master destro, max magicka from Moondancer is pretty yummy tho)

Body enchants – max magicka on small pieces, prismatic (tri stat) on big pieces

Jewelry enchant – all golden spell dmg glyphs

Now traits – all impenetrable, all jewelry are Arcane

Destro staff trait – nirnhoned
    Resto staff trait – infused

Destro enchant – dunno, I'm running poisons :p
    Resto enchant – increase spell and weapon dmg.

Food – Witchmother's Potent Brew
    Mundus – Apprentice

Now, unbuffed I have something like ~2.5 spell dmg and 1400 mar regen. Don't know precise numbers of spell dmg with major sorcery, but feels like a lot, lol. Mag regen with Lich and major intellect – something like ~3k - 3.2k

That's what I meant by a "flat build" – a lot of spell dmg and mag recovery (with lich), but low stam – ~10k in noCP, low HP – something like 21k, ridiculously low stam regen as well.
    But hey, it works like a charm! Still I don't recommend running War Maiden for you – just run shackle like you do now.

Now what to do as a magblade?

Let's assume you're running light armor, not so much hp, when shade, healing ward and cloak - are you only life savers.
    You're pretty squishy, but very "hard to catch". No need to try to outheal yourself with siphoning, healing ward etc as your main defense – you're not a sorc when you can shieldstack and take dmg to your face – you have to try to take no dmg at all.

Your basic tactic should be: light attack -> Cripple - light attack -> Cripple -> light attack -> Cripple...did I said light attack yet?
    No joking, I'm seriously. You need to light attack your enemy to proc your staff glyph (or poison), put cripple on him and go cloak. Change your position while in stealth. Do it again. And again. Don't let him attack you at all or close to it.
    If you feel you have more freedom and can be more agressive – start adding some swallow soul/funnel health in your 'rotation' to increase your pressure.

Don't forget to use destro reach every 7 seconds to drain his stamina.

Your main goal is to get your bow proc. Now, when you have it, you can go very offensively with something like: Cripple -> light attack resto to proc spell dmg enchant -> fear + animation cancelling (if you can ofc) -> incap -> bow proc. 80% of the time, the enemy is dead. Especially if Skoria procced.

LoS is very important for every class, and mNB is not an exception. Try to use everything you have on the map to prevent enemy attack you, but to let you line up your combo, separate enemies if there are more than one, to take some time to ponder over tactics.

Also, improve your weapons to gold, it will boost your dmg output by a lot.
    Edited by Pijng on August 24, 2018 11:17AM
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pijng wrote: »
    snip .

This is some awesome feedback thank you! Very helpful!

What other abilities do you run on your bars then besides the ones you mentioned?

And what do you do about stuns? This is where I die (A LOT) because I have a tiny stam bar so I end-up eating the full-durations of a lot of stuns. The fact that almost all knock-down + stun abilities (rune cage, dizzying swing, stone giant etc.) are seriously bugged on console and often can't be broken free of does not help.
  • Pijng
    Pijng
    ✭✭✭
    Pijng wrote: »
    snip .

This is some awesome feedback thank you! Very helpful!

What other abilities do you run on your bars then besides the ones you mentioned?

And what do you do about stuns? This is where I die (A LOT) because I have a tiny stam bar so I end-up eating the full-durations of a lot of stuns. The fact that almost all knock-down + stun abilities (rune cage, dizzying swing, stone giant etc.) are seriously bugged on console and often can't be broken free of does not help.

My skills are as follows:

Front bar:
    Mass hysteria — Swallow soul — Destro reach — Merciless resolve — Cripple — ULT: Incap

Back bar:
    Shadow image — Siphoning attacks — Healing ward — Shadowy disguise — Refreshing path/Rapid regeneration — ULT: Light's champion

I just don't really like to put cripple on a back bar, that's why it's on front one. Just personal preference.

My stamina pool allows me to do one break free + one roll dodge. If stun is targetable – well, I'm trying to avoid it with cloak. If not - just break free, then after 7 seconds I'll still have stamina to deal with another one. But 3rd stun could be tough, it depends:
    – I can deal with enemy much earlier
    – I can tryhard to evade it with cloak until I'll get enough stam
    – Eat stun, can't break free, dead. Lol, sometimes it happens too
    – Use tri pots and say «Yay»

Don't know anything about console, sorry :(

How much stamina do you have? You're running shackle – it should give a decent amount tho. Might increase it with tri stat glyphs on big body pieces as well.

Dizzy swing is the last thing I'm worried about – I'm jut trying to stay on range and go cloak after their gap closers (since these guys running 2h they have forward momentum and cripple won't be able to root them, but still cripple will give you major expedition to be more mobile against them).

Rune cage, oh. Sometimes it's enough to break free and healing ward (maybe ulty). In other situations it's worth to dodge roll after break free, cause you can be damaged with crystal frags as well. I'm usually looking at how skillful sorc is, trying to predict how good he is at combo and how much dmg he has.

Just want to mention again – these advices might be useless for BGs.
    Edited by Pijng on August 24, 2018 4:13PM
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been playing since 2014 mNB, non-cp (BGs since implementation and cyro) and all I can say is:

I know nothing, the best advice I can give you is go ahead and test everything by yourself. I've spent millions in builds and still have to find the final one.

PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • lionofjudah7
    lionofjudah7
    ✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/uxCCRaTClM8

Check out a recent edit i made , hopefully it gives u some ideas with yours , sets are necro shackle domi groth , bloodspawn in a couple clips too .

Keep practicing and just remember that youre on a big boy class so dont feel bad when u die to crappy players wearing cheese sets or mobbing you down etc . It takes time and once you develop a playstyle u like , everything will get easier.

Try shackle necro bloodspawn . Very forgiving setup , then switch to skoria or 1 groth 1 domi when u get better with shields and shade etc .
  • lionofjudah7
    lionofjudah7
    ✭✭✭
    And that pijng dude sounds like a trash magblade . I wouldnt listen to any of his advice unless you tryna die alot
  • Pijng
    Pijng
    ✭✭✭
    And that pijng dude sounds like a trash magblade . I wouldnt listen to any of his advice unless you tryna die alot

At least you could mention me :)