The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Make Jewelry Upgrade standard with other crafts!!!

mrtrask23
mrtrask23
✭✭✭
Currently even with the new changes it is still 4X harder to upgrade one piece of jewelry to gold, to do so you need 32 grains compared to 8 tempers (for blacksmithing). This is just ridiculous considering the cost of one grain is approx. 7k compared to one temper at 4-5k. Please get rid of the grain system and make it more sensible and on par with the other crafts. I have jewelry writs pilling up because even with two full time crafters I cannot even complete one of the writs, nor can I sell them even for a decent price because nobody will buy them...
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can dream, right?

It would be interesting to hear from the developers why the system was created as it was. As details came out about how the system was working during PTS, it became immediately apparent that this wasn't going to be the system I (or probably most other players) wanted. That leaves me with a question - why? Why was jewelry crafting made significantly different than the other crafting professions? What is the justification game-development wise in making the system basically unusable unless you do nothing with your gaming time but gather materials?

Well, "basically unusable" is perhaps overplaying it a bit, but it's an accurate description with respect to how I'd like to use the profession. I would like to be able to regularly craft rings for my characters in the trait that I want and be able to upgrade them to blue or purple with relative ease. That has not happened. From the looks of it, it will never happen. Why? The OP hits on one of the two major reasons - the plating system having submaterials is gods awful. The other major reason is that many trait stones also have submaterials and/or are difficult to obtain.

It's really too bad. If my Summerset preorder had been for jewelry crafting, I would have cancelled it. The system is garbage.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preach it, brother.

Amen.
  • Trollwut
    Trollwut
    ✭✭✭
    I like that upgrading jewelry costs a lot more than armor. This makes it like… well, jewelry.

What I totally can't understand is why it's so freaking tedious to acquire upgrade material at all, and also simply unaffordable.

Make it double the upgrading cost of armor/weapons, maybe three or four times. But please not that a casual player simply has no chance to get an upgrade at all.
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see slightly faster levelling too. If I deconstruct say a ring I get only a fraction of the level increase that a pair of gloves would for clothing or a dagger would for blacksmithing.

My current character is level 38 and I only hit jewelry crafting level 14 (to make copper items) last night and levels 12-14 only happened after buying stuff to break down from guild stores. Trying to level naturally and harvest tempers and trait materials is nigh on impossible.

I know I can continue to buy stuff to level with and to improve my creations, but it's takes away from the roleplaying.

That said, this being my first post, something positive. This is probably the best game I've ever played. I've been playing Elder Scrolls since before Morrowind and every time I play I see something that makes me go "wow". Sometimes it feels like I've gone on holiday just to take in the views. And who knew fishing could be so relaxing? I keep getting drawn back to Summerset just to chill by the sea.

Just two things though. Where are all the worms (rhetorical question, I've already read all the answers) and why, no matter where I need to go, is there always a mountain or some rocks in the way?
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

I have 10 Characters, one has reached Lvl 50 and is just about to start his last two unlearned Traits.

The way to level quickly is to process lots of writs and forage loads of chest contents in starter zones.
    I get plenty of deconstruct-able Jewellery to boost my progress.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when starting out in this game it was months before I could upgrade anything to gold and more months before I could do a full set. Then again, it took a year for me to get to max vet ranks, so the time to upgrade to Gold was just about right. Now, we can easilly get a brand new character on a new account to CP160 in a montj or two with no grinding, JC seems to lag behind.

So, it temains to be seen if the recent changes to acquisition and amiunt used have alleviated this.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think that the reason that it costs so much to upgrade jewelry in terms of upgrade materials, is that they don't want to devalue gold jewelry earned from completing trials. Fine. Make it more expensive and time consuming to upgrade trials jewelry, and then make change all other jewelry upgrading to be on par with other crafting lines. Problem solved.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pdblake wrote: »
    I'd like to see slightly faster levelling too. If I deconstruct say a ring I get only a fraction of the level increase that a pair of gloves would for clothing or a dagger would for blacksmithing.

Just quoting myself for clarity here.

After getting to the point where I am now making copper jewelry I'm finding that the leveliing actually is going faster now as the items I'm finding to deconstruct are of increasingly better quality.

So my point is utter rubbish :/

• Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    I think that the reason that it costs so much to upgrade jewelry in terms of upgrade materials, is that they don't want to devalue gold jewelry earned from completing trials. Fine. Make it more expensive and time consuming to upgrade trials jewelry, and then make change all other jewelry upgrading to be on par with other crafting lines. Problem solved.

The logic from ZOS is that Jonny raids-a-lot deserves his gold necklace because he worked hard for it. That's fine.

But, if Susan crafts-the-things crafts a set of gold jewelry for the same sort of prices that gold armor goes for, it's a slap in the face to Johnny, who had to work really hard for his gold jewelry. That's why the mat costs are so high, to keep them on par.

Making it even harder to get gold jewelry from trials would mean they would in turn have to make crafted jewelry even more expensive to make. Because they have to keep the perceived difficulty equal.

The REAL solution, as I just presented in another thread, is to remove gold jewelry as a status symbol entirely. Replace it with unique cosmetics like every other MMO does. There's even perfect gear now, that should honestly be enough of an incentive between the two of those without gold jewelry. Drop costs from the gold vendor to match it, then you can also drop mat costs from JC.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait... some players percieve gold jewlery to be a status symbol? Seriously?

Lol :D
  • mrtrask23
    mrtrask23
    ✭✭✭

Actually sorry it's actually 40 grains (10 per plate), was thinking the 8 for upgrade like temper, so cost is even higher. The point is make the plates drop instead of GRAINS. You can still make the plates more rare than tempters, wax, and rosin...

Oh for crafters, if you want to level jewelry crafting easiest and fastest way is to have a Master Crafter craft CP150 rings for you to break down (White), takes approximately 500..

Don't forget to tip handsomely!!!
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree that the grains system is a pain, but I don't know that they'll want to remove it. What would happen for folks who had, say 8 or 9 chromium grains with no way to get any more? Removing the grains system would make any grains still around utterly useless. Reducing the cost was a good compromise, but I just wish they'd scrapped the grains thing on PTS, before it went live. Same goes for the pulverized trait dust.

It's also an utter pain for anyone without ESO+. The JC system added a LOT more mats for people to store, since most have to be stored in both raw and refined forms. I have ESO+ on XB, but on PC, it's eaten away a lot of my precious bank slots.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on August 22, 2018 8:02PM