Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Persuasive Will + Intimidate "stack"?

Sarenia
Sarenia
✭✭✭✭✭
The guild skills Persuasive Will and Intimidate open up dialog options.

My question is, do they offer different dialog options, so that having both is beneficial?
[beta_group_85b_9]
  • SirPuppingtonVonHat
    SirPuppingtonVonHat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct.
    The Psijic Order
  • Empty_Emotions
    The benefit to having both is that sometimes you only get the option to intimidate or persuade. (Some quests give you both, but not all!)

Having both lets you deal with this type of situation.

You'll get to skip the leg-work or the payment regardless off which option is available by having both skills.
  • Wedge
    Wedge
    ✭✭✭
    What @Empty_Emotions‌ said. It's basically "spend a point, shortcut this quest"
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much. :)

Wanting to build the closest thing I can to an enchantress... social skills tend to be a boon with that.

Was trying to avoid joining the fighter's guild for RP reasons, but I guess I can rationalize it as a general adventurer's guild with a focus on melee. *nods reassuringly to herself*. :P
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The places you can use these skills are few and far between so far. I'm level 17. It's a pretty tacked on feature.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gohlar wrote: »
    The places you can use these skills are few and far between so far. I'm level 17. It's a pretty tacked on feature.

How do you know you're using it?

I had just assumed it was fluidly activated during conversation to add more options in the conversation, even if "just" an elaboration on lore. And that's what I'm interested in... lore and more quest info, not shortcuts. Maybe shortcuts are few and far between?
    Edited by Sarenia on April 4, 2014 12:56PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Nyxeia
    Nyxeia
    ✭✭
    I have noticed when leveling with a few friends of mine that [intimidate] and [persuade] are used in some different ways throughout the game. You'll notice these options by the brackets mentioning the skills before your dialogue option, just as I wrote. Sometimes, in a quest, using these skills will open up a shortcut, a quest that you can skip like running a simple errand. Besides that, I have stumbled upon a traveling merchant NPC on the roads, to our surprise, he also had the intimidate option.. on which he dropped a bag of loot on the ground and started sulking, clearly shocked we were trying to rob him...oops.
    Edited by Nyxeia on April 4, 2014 1:07PM
    Morgyn
    Breton Templar (Healer/DPS)
    <The Datura Company> (RP)
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    Gohlar wrote: »

How do you know you're using it?

I had just assumed it was fluidly activated during conversation to add more options in the conversation, even if "just" an elaboration on lore. And that's what I'm interested in... lore and more quest info, not shortcuts. Maybe shortcuts are few and far between?

Options appear in the conversation trees, even if you don't have it. So even without a point the option is there, but it's red and you can't use it. You can always see it though.

It's that rare. At level 17 I can count the number of times I could use it on 1 hand, and 3 of them were for the same quest where you bully people into repaying a debt.

It might become more prominent later.
    Edited by Gohlar on April 4, 2014 1:15PM
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they save you a lot of gold down the road too
  • Mulk
    Mulk
    ✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    Thank you very much. :)

Wanting to build the closest thing I can to an enchantress... social skills tend to be a boon with that.

Was trying to avoid joining the fighter's guild for RP reasons, but I guess I can rationalize it as a general adventurer's guild with a focus on melee. *nods reassuringly to herself*. :P

If your enchantress is at all worried about the invasion of daedra, recall that the Fighters' Guild has taken on a contract to deal with dark anchors and the daedra wherever they are.

Gohlar, it is hardly tacked on and it's been a part of the game since very early on - not the first beta as it wasn't quite ready yet, but the first beta where we got to see the city of Daggerfall if I'm remembering correctly. Not everyone (or even most people) can be intimidated or persuaded and even if they could, not everyone would have something to offer that would be helpful.

It would be more jarring imo if most quests had an option for it.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll grab them both just for flavor. Maybe they'll come in handy when I need them most. ;)

I was surprised Imperials didn't get a social skill. Voice of the Emperor seemed fitting in the past. I always saw them as persuasive, coercive diplomats, and shrewd merchants. Peacemakers, basically. But their racial skills are geared heavily toward a sword+board tank.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 4, 2014 1:37PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]