The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Magsorc destructive touch

qbit
qbit
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm a new player at level 45 no CP. Playing a high elf magsorc. I've only ever done PvE and have not done any PvP. I'm enjoying the game, and have made my own build (done some research, and I'm not against the "meta" builds but also don't want to obsess over being the best - I just want to do the content without upsetting others in group content). I tried to slot rune cage and didn't like it (preferred the ability that worked on multiple bad guys). I've not slotted it since I heard it was getting (got) nerfed. I'm trying to level towards doing endgame content including PvP.

I am assuming it is stupid to use the Destructive Touch and its morphs ability as the CC. Since no one does it. Or at least it seems that way reading the forums. Why would I not use it in PvP? It's pretty useful on PvE overland content (I've never done a group dungeon or trial, etc.). I'd like some clarification from more experienced players on why I should or should not waste time with the ability.

On my destruction staff skill line, when coming upon a trash mob or boss, (skipping the intro buffs abilities described below) I open with Destructive Clench (lightning), then put down the Blockade of elements (lightning) AoE. Then I spam the Crushing Shock ability until Crystal Frags procs. Then I hit them with that. Somewhere near 20% health, I hit them with the Endless Fury and they blow up. I get about 10k DPS (remember I'm level 45 no CP; perhaps this is still too low even at this stage?) when measuring with the popular combat stats addon. I melt overland content and bosses (not world bosses - never fought one), but want to be building towards endgame.

All of those abilities are on the front bar. On the back bar are the buffs, shields, and heal. On the back bar are: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Empowered Ward, Annulment/Dampen Magic, and Dark Exchange/Conversion.

So at the start of the fight, I cast the Power Surge and Boundless Storm. Maybe the Empowered Ward shield if it's a boss. Then I proceed with the offensive rotation I described in my third paragraph above. I will rarely stack the Dampen Magic on the Empowered Ward if I start to panic. Even more rarely I will use the Dark Conversion to heal. I get most of my heals from the passive Blood Magic and Power Surge ability I cast and keep up throughout combat (I have about 25% spell critical chance with no buffs).

This works well, but I'm aware it's probably less than ideal for endgame. I question the need for Annulment/Dampen Magic and Dark Exchange/Conversion. They are only used when I really panic and get low on health.

For ultimates, I used to use Overload (the morph that gives you Magicka) and Storm Atrinoch. Now I use Storm Atrinoch and the ultimate provided by destruction staff line (waiting to morph it to the one that follows you around). I used to switch to Overload to replenish magicka. On the third bar, I only had shields and other buffs. This was what I did when I panicked with low health. Now I don't have it, and it's a bit more challenging in that low health/magicka situation. But I make do. I'm trying to get away from overload much like I got away from pets once I had good shields available.

So I guess this question (my first post) has moved away from asking about one specific ability and now I'm asking about my entire ability and bar choices. Wondering from the experts what I should be working toward leveling my skills.

I use the S'rrendar addon and have it fully configured with filters and big icons in the middle of my screen advising me when to recast buffs, shields, AoE, etc. I've got a basic grasp of weaving and block casting or animation canceling (whatever it's called). And I do sometimes spazz out and button mash (but ESO combat seems to work fine with this at my basic level). I don't have a nice mouse with buttons on the side to cast with, so it's hard to move and cast depending on what buttons I'm pressing (I'm on PC using 1-5 keys to cast abilities and the middle mouse wheel button (mouse 3) to swap bars - I have to pick my ability slots based on having a finger to press a and d to strafe while casting). I rarely use potions.

I've researched about 5 to 6 traits on most armor and weapons. I use 5 light and 1 heavy and 1 medium armor. Lightning destruction staff on both bars. Jewelry. Everything is purple except Jewelry. I can elaborate on what sets I have crafted for myself if it matters a lot at this low level (I have focused on maximizing magicka, spell damage, and spell critical).

My passives for class abilities, race, destro staff, and light armor are all maxed as much as I can make them. Light armor and destro staff are level 50 now. Others are nearing 50.

I'm asking those experienced and seasoned magsorcs to give me some guidance if they have the time to read and respond here. Thank you in advance!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’re on the right track, @qbit.

Crowd control is generally up to the tank in most PvE group situations ... so you generally don’t have to worry about it if you’re going to DPS.

In PvP, if you’re going to specialize in CC, then you’d rather run Shattering Prison on a Sorc ... since it can hit multiple targets.

Destructive Touch is more appealing on a PvP Magicka Warden ... because Wardens don’t have any class-based CC skills.
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. I’m going to stick with making my own builds and seeing DPS go up as I CP things. I am finally at CP 47! Also learning there is much obsession with builds in this game and it doesn’t matter that much in the end unless you’re doing a DPS competition Lol! Once I start doing PvP I will surely make many changes to my build as I discover how people dodge or counter my ability choices.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey qbit.
    I really like your ambition and will to improve. Since you are still not a gear cap (which is cp160) i really suggest keep going with leveling up and learn the game. As soon as you reach cp160 i recommend looking for some decent gear and help from a site like alcasthq.com . Alcast has good builds and guides for all classes on his website, so you should go and look after a beginner build for magicka sorcerer: https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-sorcerer-build-pve-wh/ .
    This guide provides everything you need to know about the magicka sorcerer: gear and sets, bufffood and potions, mundus stone, skills and rotations.
    If you dont have the time right now, i would suggest to also slot the skills lightning splash (liquid lightning morph) and also daedric curse (hunting curse morph). liquid lightning is similar to elemental blockade, but can be placed also on distant locations. hunting curse is a single target skill and explodes after 3 seconds and once more after around 8 seconds. i only would use this skill, if the enemy doesnt die in a few seconds anyway.
    for PvP i never would suggest shattering prison, this skill is only useable in groupplay. most sorcs atm use rune cage, since the stun is almost inevitable. the other option is the destructive touch (destructive reach morph), but that skill is mostly only used in conjunction with the masters inferno staff, a weapon which is only acquirable in the dragonstar arena on veteran mode. if you ever get one, destructive reach will function as cc and main spammable, since the masters staff adds quite some damage to the skill. untill then, i suggest using rune cage.
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey that’s perfect on the skill suggestions. I’ll get them slotted to start leveling them now while questing. The CP levels are coming in fast now but noticibly slowing. I think I’m at CP 57 now. I’ll be glad to hit 160 so I can quit obsessing about leveling crafting. I’ve got a rather lot of skill points dumped in crafting so I can keep doing writs to match my current levels. Lot of skyshards have been gathered to compensate lol.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    qbit wrote: »
    Hey that’s perfect on the skill suggestions. I’ll get them slotted to start leveling them now while questing. The CP levels are coming in fast now but noticibly slowing. I think I’m at CP 57 now. I’ll be glad to hit 160 so I can quit obsessing about leveling crafting. I’ve got a rather lot of skill points dumped in crafting so I can keep doing writs to match my current levels. Lot of skyshards have been gathered to compensate lol.

As far as Skill points go, make sure you've done every quest in Group Dungeons as they reward a skill point upon completion (only 1 for normal or vet, doesn't matter which mode), as well as doing all the "Group Events" in Public Dungeons for each zone. While they might be called group events, they are all easily soloable and also reward 1 skill point. If you're uncertain which ones you may have already done, you can the documentation for them in Journal/Achievements/Dungeons and look in the Public Dungeons section.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, go into Cyrodill and do some of the beginner quests (they don't require any actual PvP) and you can get 2-3 skills points. After you play a couple hours of actual PvP then you'll earn another couple skill points. I think the same thing might happen with BattleGrounds, too.