The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Should I create a new character?

Morciatvs
Morciatvs
Soul Shriven
Okey so I started the game with a sorcerer because I like the mage class (I know that every class can be a magicka dps, but at the begining I didnt know that) and I played a long time as a dps but know I am trying healer and I find out its very cool so I tried to transform my sorc into a healer and it works fine, but Ive tried the templar healer in the pts and I found out its much better than my actual class (and that I like the templar skills a lot). The problem is that Ive done a lot with my main character (I dont mind repiting the quests, I play to have fun and the missisons are part of it, the problem is the other stuff like trophies, motifs, horse training, crafting, etc), so I dont know what should I do now, create a new character or wait for Zenimax to release something like a change class token or something similar? Thanks ^^

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, Im not a native speaker (or a very good one).
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd make a new character, since ZOS doesn't seem to have any desire to release a class change token.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Yes!" is always the answer to, "Should I make a new character?" ;D

If I could have 30 character slots, I'd probably buy and fill them all. Having a separate toon for different specs / purposes is both really convenient and (for many) more immersive/fun.

Not to mention, it always helps to learn the game from a slightly different perspective. Whether that's just a new class, a new role, or a new whatever, more experience is good!

I say go for it, and good luck!
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup you will have to do a lot of stuff over, and if you PVP you will likely not enjoy the re-learning of riding speed lessons.

That being said, I will always come down in the side of "more characters, more characters"!!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd also recommend a new char. I'll bet you will enjoy both of them. I enjoy healing also.

I run a magplar healer and she's very good. She slots most of the classic healplar stuff but makes room for reflective light, channeled focus and sweeps. As a result, not only is she a full healer but she can face tank a bit and do some reasonable dps.

I also run a magsorc dps but didn't want to give up the ability to emergency heal an ally when needed. So she runs the Twilight Matriarch. I think of her as a dps with a strong burst heal - and that is exactly what she is. And with her Empowered Ward and Surge, she is very survivable.

In comparing the two, my healplar is better for supporting a group since she packs buffs and can heal many at once. On the other hand, when running a duo, the magsorc is better. That is because more dps is required and any healing is just to burst my running mate. And I will confess the Matriarch is an awesome burst heal - rendered incredibly responsive because it is readily available on both bars. That means I can instantly pop it without even a thought about which bar I'm on while not even missing a beat on my dps rotation.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on August 15, 2018 2:24AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Morciatvs
    Morciatvs
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you guys for your advices, they are very good ^^
    Yeah, Im going to create a new character, it will be fun to do the old misions again, it was a long time since I did them, also Im very excited to play the templar :D
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make a new class, BUT DON'T DELETE your sorcerer. I have been playing for 4 years on and off. Like you I did sorcerer and found out it's not the only magic class just a while ago. So in my 4 years of on and off playing I made and deleted lots of characters.

You can have 8 characters I believe with the option to buy more slots. So keep it and then respect it when you want. I wish I knew this, I could have had a very high character.

Now I play other classes and finally kept my sorcerer and not delete him anymore.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morciatvs wrote: »
    Thank you guys for your advices, they are very good ^^
    Yeah, Im going to create a new character, it will be fun to do the old misions again, it was a long time since I did them, also Im very excited to play the templar :D
    @Morciatvs
    Yep make a new one. Typically you want to focus on getting achievements on 1 character: this typically becomes your "main." I wouldn't worry about it this early.

1 good thing is that you don't have to repeat any quests! Even if you make your new guy the same faction, you can go to a different starting zone and do those quests! You could actually go to any zone whatsoever and quest cause they all scale to your level. Like if you're EP and started in Stonefalls you could port over to Auridon or Glenumbra and start there instead.

1 other thing about having multiple characters, it's a good idea to log in every day on each character and train your riding skill, research new traits, and other maintenancey type things.

Have fun!
  • Saladin
    Saladin
    ✭✭✭
    I would just make a new character. You can easily level a character from 1-50 in 2 days if you grind dolmens with xp scrolls and training gear.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one character that I've done almost all the achievements on, and then I have other characters that only have the bare minimum needed for Undaunted, Fighters, PvP, etc..

Really enjoy trying new characters, but the thought of doing all those lorebooks, skyshards, and quests in every region again is frightening.

And like someone else mentioned, the worst part about a new character is riding speed being 0!

But still, it's worth it to make a new character.
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    make a new one but use your main still to research craft etc.
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • Thrain
    Thrain
    ✭✭✭✭
    You will make a few new chars in the future anyways so you can start now^^

• albesca
    albesca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    "Yes!" is always the answer to, "Should I make a new character?" ;D

This :smile:

I have seven characters, four of which see action weekly if not daily. They started as mules, now a couple are specialized for crafting, others for pvp and the rest for general questing in different zones
    PC EU

Khajiit has no time for you
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In that case, new char is the proper way to go :smile:
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trophies, motifs, dyes, and champ points are account wide.

It takes about 20 to 30 hours to level a character to 150 skill points, including Lore Books.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• mitchtheelder
    mitchtheelder
    ✭✭✭
    no!
    delete account
    AD
    Orc Nightblade - Manndingo
    BretonTemplar - M Mike Adriano
    Nord Dragonknight - Ser-Gregor Clegane
    High elf Sorcerer - Grand Maester Mitch
    Dark elf Nightblade - Gilbert Arenas
    Redguard Dragonknight - Half Man Half Amazing
    Redguard Sorcerer - Uncle Drew
    High Elf Dragonknight - Devon Larrat
    Imperial Warden - Sandor Clegane M
    Nord Necromancer - Tormund Husband to Bears
    High Elf Necromancer - Ana Maria della Salute
    High Elf - Warden - Samuel F Jackson
    Argonian - Templar - Kraken Reptile
    DC
    Argonian Warden - Gustavo Giviria Rivero
    High elf Sorcerer - Jackie Kennedy
    Orc Necromancer - Lucifer Blackstar
    EP
    Redguard Templar - MItch Buchanon
    1250cp
    Tick Tock Tormentor
    Immortal Redeemer
    Gryphon Heart
    Flawless Conqueror
    God Slayer
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    Make a new class, BUT DON'T DELETE your sorcerer. I have been playing for 4 years on and off. Like you I did sorcerer and found out it's not the only magic class just a while ago. So in my 4 years of on and off playing I made and deleted lots of characters.

You can have 8 characters I believe with the option to buy more slots. So keep it and then respect it when you want. I wish I knew this, I could have had a very high character.

Now I play other classes and finally kept my sorcerer and not delete him anymore.
    This so much, unused characters are nice for storing spare gear and other stuff.
    And its some events its very nice to do on multiple characters like doing dailes during the anniversary.
    Earned over two millions just doing crafting dailes and a few other fast dailes on 8 characters.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not? If you saw templar on PTS and liked it it is nice to roll new char.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, make an additional character. The second one doesn't have to do everything again. Mount training will still be a "wait for it" situation, but checking in daily at a stable doesn't interrupt you game significantly.

Anything your new character needs can be crafted by the main, so they don't need to learn all those skills/motifs/traits again. Your main was reliant on dropped items until they could make better, but the new character won't be. Give them Keen eye for each craft, so they can keep the main supplied with the right level of materials, and decide for yourself if they'll do any crafting of their own.

With two or more characters, you can make each quest choice the good way or the evil way, and still get the second chance with the other one(s). Or not even do that quest, if you didn't like the ways it turned out.

The same is true for all the skill morphs. You can pick the magicka one on one character, and the stamina one on the other. I'd even suggest having two of each class, to go the mag/stam routes on each.

You'll have multiple homes that will match the characters' personalities, etc. Try a bit of everything!

The only real question is whether the second character should be completely different from the first or be the mirror image kind.