The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Speeding up jewellery levelling

vometia
vometia
✭✭✭
Is there any more efficient way of levelling up jewellery crafting at present? AFAICT the only realistic way of levelling it is to deconstruct decent level jewellery, and the only way to get it (I mean short of buying it or getting someone else to go on a crafting blitz) is to dolmen farm in Alik'r or Auridon or somewhere. From casual observation, though I haven't carefully analysed the numbers, it takes about 7 deconstructions per level and I get on average about one piece of jewellery per dolmen. So to get from my current level 44 to 50 I'm looking at doing at least 40 dolmens. I suspect that may cause me to lose the will to live. I still have flashbacks to closing all the gates in Oblivion (I was collecting sigil stones... after that I created a mod to make them available at merchants) and don't think I can face doing the same thing again. Argh.

Of course I suppose it doesn't have to be levelled up but it would be nice to at least have the option to make my own CP160 jewellery if the fancy takes me. And then there's also the gnarly issue of finding more than the three basic traits for someone who is strictly a solo player, other than haranguing an already overly-harangued friend or buying examples from guild stores.

What's especially frustrating is I was getting a high-experience deconstructable item from doing the jewellery writs, which I only found out about a few days before the last patch; and since then I only get jewellery with a high resale value but nothing that I can train my crafting with. :/
Edited by vometia on August 16, 2018 11:29AM
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the writs and find a friend crafting jewels for you to deconstruct.
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I levelled it up by farming BGs. Getting free purple jewellery that you decon. Easy level up - Easy to get the materials to craft jewellery, too.
    If you have AP, you can buy some of the 3pc jewellery/Weapon sets in Cropsford. Like Ancient Grace(?), almost always gives you a purple piece.

+ most of the purple BG-jewellery is ~1k/piece or so. Maybe even less, you can make money by just buying that and deconning it.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    mague wrote: »
    Do the writs and find a friend crafting jewels for you to deconstruct.
    I am doing the writs, but the levelling seems to have slowed a lot since the patch; certainly the provision of useful deconstructibles seems to have mostly dried up (from what I recall, across all relevant writs, they used to be maybe about 2:1 in favour of crafting; now they're apparently about 3:1 in favour of value across my three characters of varying levels, with the level 50 character no longer getting any jewellery deconstructibles at all so far). And as I mentioned, I don't want to wear out my welcome with my more experienced friends! They've been really, really helpful so far but I don't want to take liberties...
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    I levelled it up by farming BGs. Getting free purple jewellery that you decon. Easy level up - Easy to get the materials to craft jewellery, too.
    If you have AP, you can buy some of the 3pc jewellery/Weapon sets in Cropsford. Like Ancient Grace(?), almost always gives you a purple piece.

+ most of the purple BG-jewellery is ~1k/piece or so. Maybe even less, you can make money by just buying that and deconning it.
    BG? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newcomer and not familiar with that.

Cropsford is also in Cyrodiil which is a bit of a no-go area for me! I tend to get instapwned when I go there. There is the "under level 50" one which is quieter but that means under level 50 items too...

Sorry, not trying to be difficult, just trying to figure out what I can do without PvP or teaming up and without pestering people. And without 40+ rounds of dolmen farming. D:
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vometia wrote: »

BG? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newcomer and not familiar with that.

Cropsford is also in Cyrodiil which is a bit of a no-go area for me! I tend to get instapwned when I go there. There is the "under level 50" one which is quieter but that means under level 50 items too...

Sorry, not trying to be difficult, just trying to figure out what I can do without PvP or teaming up and without pestering people. And without 40+ rounds of dolmen farming. D:

BG is battle grounds. Small scale PvP. There it's an under 50 campaign in Cyrodiil. Kyne.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farm dolmens which guarantees a drop of jewelry. It’s a super fast rotation of all three dolmens in a zone.

Pick a zone here transit shrines are nearby.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spent a little less than 6 million AP on purple coffers from the Cyrodiil 3-trait sets (e.g. Eagle Eye).

Took only about 2 hours to level jewelry crafting 0-50 ... with some trips back and forth to decon and one Bruma defense from an EP assault.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think you can beat buying jewelry for pure speed. CP160 intricates have dropped a lot in price on PC/NA, and I haven't really seen a change in how they drop from writs, you are just going through a bad patch of luck. If you want to farm items yourself, I don't think anything beats dolmens in a zone with good wayshrine locations for speed. If you want to trade off speed for more variety, I would suggest the dailies in Vvardenfell, Summerset, Gold Coast, Wrothgar, and Clockwork City, as all of those reward containers have a decent chance of jewelry. Summerset geysers are also well worth doing.
    It wasn't part of your main question, but as far as the new traits go, infused and protective are easily accessible to a solo player, since they come from psijic portals and the Summerset and psijic quest lines respectively. Swift has a very low drop rate but if you have a well developed crafter with good writ income, it's easy to get the trait materials and find someone to craft for you. Bloodthirsty, triune, and harmony you won't get either the items or the trait stones without doing either pvp or group PvE content, or from other players.
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Platinum is pretty decently priced.

10 plat = 1 cp 150 ring

550ish will take you from level 6 to level 50 in JC if you have the cp passive for inspiration. If not it takes about 660 to level from 6 to 50 in JC.

You can find plat for around 18g per

So about 100k gold on PC NA to fast level your alts if you have a main at 50. Or if you can find a buddy to make them for you.

-edit to add- These are far more superior in terms of cost to inspiration than intricates are. 3 of these will give more than 1 intricate, at more than half the cost.
    Edited by Runs on August 16, 2018 3:06PM
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Level two toons together.

1. Buy as many ounces as you can afford.
    2. Character A fills the bank up with rings, logs out.
    3. Character B decons all the rings Character A made.
    4. Character B then fills the bank up with rings, logs out.

Level up whenever you can to use the next tier of ounces.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    Some interesting ideas there, thanks. I suspect the dolmens may indeed be the quickest (and cheapest) approach but I think that number in quick succession would turn me into a nervous wreck. :lol: Though maybe I could manage a couple of rounds of Alik'r every day or two.

The other daily quests (I mean the ones that aren't writs) I admit I've never ever looked at. Perhaps I should. But I speak as that person who binned all her treasure maps and surveys because I thought they would just be a free-for-all and only later did I realise they were really valuable. So sometimes (for quite frequent values thereof) it takes me a while to pick up on things.

The two characters approach is particularly interesting: I'd always assumed that experience from deconstructing was just paltry, but I'm guessing there's simply an XP penalty for deconstructing your own stuff. I dunno if my electrum-level crafter is going to get any benefit from the one who's just learnt to do copper, but anything is worth a try... it's worked well the other way round, though.
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    In the end I bought some high-inspiration crafting stuff from guild merchants, which cost me a few thousand but it got me up to level 50 without having to dolmen farm, so I've finally got there with what remains of my sanity intact. Yay! I still need to check out the Psijic things for the extra traits, I got slightly scared off after visiting the huge slug thing's memory and getting pwned. But I think that's not an especially novel complaint!

Still had enough left over to buy Ravenhurst, but only just. Now I'm completely broke. D:

Er anyway. I'll gradually level my other two characters using the crafting exchange thingy that was recommended. I mean not that I need to, but just for the sake of completeness...

Edit: wrong name: might be a big house compared to the freebie rooms I've had to date but doesn't quite cover the entirety of Rivenspire...
    Edited by vometia on August 18, 2018 6:05PM
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fastest way is to buy the blue jewelry boxes for ap in cyrodil n deconstruct ...

The biggest problem though isn't leveling up ... It's getting the plating in order to upgrade your stuff
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    I can tell you, because I just did this, I took a character from a little way into level 45 jewelry to level 50 jewelry in about 110 base platinum rings, which I had another character craft and toss in the bank. I will probably do the same with Mariesh in a day or two, though it might take as much as 130 rings for her. Still, not too bad, since I have multicraft, and plenty of space on the character and in the bank.

@Alassirana

SneakyBo, ExSO_Gold, Demure Dragon Dealings
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Fastest way is to buy the blue jewelry boxes for ap in cyrodil n deconstruct ...

The biggest problem though isn't leveling up ... It's getting the plating in order to upgrade your stuff

It’s the purple 3-trait sets you want ... not blue.

Because the loot tables in those coffers only contain 3 jewelry pieces and one weapon.

Whereas the blue coffers contain a wider variety of gear. And that’s a waste of AP if you’re just trying to level jewelry crafting.

It is the fastest way, yes, but there’s an up front cost of 5-6 million AP depending on how much tithing you’ve done to the RNG gods.

An awesome side effect is you get plenty of purple platings upon decon.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 25, 2018 1:26PM
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭

Do your JC writ crafting, deconstructing an handing in of writs during enhanced XP time.

Do some Harvesting routs, that take in a Dolmen as well.

Not only will you find Portals and jewellery nodes but treasure chests that can contain rings as well.

PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    I leveled jewelry by buying stuff to deconstruct...that took several hundred thousand gold...buy the discounted stuff?...the hard part is doing the master writs...the research takes forever...the ingredients cost a lot....

Eventually jewelry crafting will pay off...you can see why people try to be FIRST in the craft...stuff sells for MUCH GOLD...though prices are trending down...

I have several mill and don't want a big house....but still do various crafting things to make gold...be awhile before jewelry will pay off....don't need more gold...
    I know nutting....