Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Addons changing the Skills window are broken

Ydrisselle
Ydrisselle
✭✭✭✭✭
It seems that the changes to the Skills window has broken Harven's Improved Skills Window and SpentSkillsPoint as expected. Both of them are a useful QoL addon - at least for me -, but since I don't know enough of Lua coding, I really won't attempt to fix them myself. I have no idea how hard is it to convert them to the new API, but I hope that somebody comes up with a solution (either fixing these or making new addons based on the old ones...).
  • Highlor3
    Highlor3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even with those two deactivated, and only updated addon activated, I'm getting a freeze on Skills windows (if I press any directional key, like WASD). Some of the updated ones must be causing it (doesn't freeze with addons deactivated).
    [PC-NA] CP 1200+ The Conquest of Tamriel, UESP & Taverna do Mestre
    The Scientia Consortium:
    • Rodbertus Quercus, Imperial, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Robert Bethencourt, Breton, Templar [DC]
    • Karlindah Telvanni, Dunmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Hejthuxis (former Raises-Her-Rear), Argonian, Nightblade [EP]
    • Limeril Bravewind, Altmer, Warden [AD]
    • Isilarelen, Dunmer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Elindael, Bosmer, Warden [AD]
    • Hrodberaht Bright-Fame, "Nordguard", Warden [EP]
    • Ra'Kham, Khajiit, Nightblade [DC]
    • Brazilia gra-Bagol, Orsimer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Nirrah al-Hegathe, Redguard, Necromancer [DC]
    • Theodora Quercus, Imperial, Templar [DC]
    • Cuddles-In-The-Water, Argonian, Templar [EP]
    • Cainneach the Pale, Reachman, Necromancer [AD]
    • Dughlas af-Fearley, Redguard, Sorcerer [DC]
    • Roze Cloturier, Breton, Arcanist [AD]
    [PC-EU] No CP THE CAPS ARMY
    • Adaltos Indoril, Dunmer, Templar [EP]
    • Geralt of Evermore, Breton, Nightblade [DC]
    • Feainneweedd, Altmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Robert Cloturier-Baudiae, Breton, Arcanist [DC]
  • SlippyCheeze
    SlippyCheeze
    ✭✭✭
    Highlor3 wrote: »
    Even with those two deactivated, and only updated addon activated, I'm getting a freeze on Skills windows (if I press any directional key, like WASD). Some of the updated ones must be causing it (doesn't freeze with addons deactivated).

Bisect it until you find the specific addon causing your issue, then report it to the author at http://esoui.com/
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ydrisselle wrote: »
    It seems that the changes to the Skills window has broken Harven's Improved Skills Window and SpentSkillsPoint as expected. Both of them are a useful QoL addon - at least for me -, but since I don't know enough of Lua coding, I really won't attempt to fix them myself. I have no idea how hard is it to convert them to the new API, but I hope that somebody comes up with a solution (either fixing these or making new addons based on the old ones...).

Bisect it until you find the specific addon causing your issue, then report it to the author at http://esoui.com/

UESPLog is causing this issue. It wasn't being caught by some, because UESPLog was in fact updated. Still, it's the one that's causing the issue, as the issue doesn't happen with no addons, and it does happen with UESPLog enabled by itself. I and some others in our guild noticed rather quickly yesterday, as we are members of the UESP guild, and have a soft spot for that particular addon. One player in particular troubleshot extensively, but was unable to find any temporary workaround other than disabling it

It has been reported to the dev at esoui yesterday, but at the moment, I don't know the current status, however the dev is generally rather responsive.

There is at least one other issue on the skill window, unrelated to any addons at all. XP earnings are not consistently updating between the list of actives for a skill and the actives on the hotbar. For example, an active such as Bow's Volley may show a level II within the Skill line's list, and Volley on the hotbar shows the same. And then after some XP earning, one stays the same but the other changes to III. The XP earnings and syncing between the two actives do reconcile on a UI reload, but that is just momentary, the issue still continues to occur. In addition, the actives' progress bars at least for the icons on the hotbar, are completely missing altogether. ZOS is hopefully aware, as there are a couple threads reporting on that issue, however I haven't seen any ack from them yet.

edit:
    UESPLog has been updated today, but I don't know the result. Hopefully, it will have resolved this issue

edit 2:
    yes, the skill window has been resolved by updating UESPLog. The active progress bars is a separate issue that ZOS will need to address

Edited by fgoron2000 on August 14, 2018 9:53PM
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fgoron2000 wrote: »

UESPLog is causing this issue. It wasn't being caught by some, because UESPLog was in fact updated. Still, it's the one that's causing the issue, as the issue doesn't happen with no addons, and it does happen with UESPLog enabled by itself. I and some others in our guild noticed rather quickly yesterday, as we are members of the UESP guild, and have a soft spot for that particular addon. One player in particular troubleshot extensively, but was unable to find any temporary workaround other than disabling it

It has been reported to the dev at esoui yesterday, but at the moment, I don't know the current status, however the dev is generally rather responsive.

There is at least one other issue on the skill window, unrelated to any addons at all. XP earnings are not consistently updating between the list of actives for a skill and the actives on the hotbar. For example, an active such as Bow's Volley may show a level II within the Skill line's list, and Volley on the hotbar shows the same. And then after some XP earning, one stays the same but the other changes to III. The XP earnings and syncing between the two actives do reconcile on a UI reload, but that is just momentary, the issue still continues to occur. In addition, the actives' progress bars at least for the icons on the hotbar, are completely missing altogether. ZOS is hopefully aware, as there are a couple threads reporting on that issue, however I haven't seen any ack from them yet.

edit:
    UESPLog has been updated today, but I don't know the result. Hopefully, it will have resolved this issue

edit 2:
    yes, the skill window has been resolved by updating UESPLog. The active progress bars is a separate issue that ZOS will need to address

Umm... I don't use UESPLog... :tongue:
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭

edit:

edit 2:

Umm... I don't use UESPLog... :tongue:

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post, but I intended my post to be responding to the Skill Window freezing issue, not the LUA errors issue. I see that I quoted your post as well, but you didn't indicate a Skill Window freezing issue. Sorry about that. I also get a LUA error from Harven's, but it doesn't freeze the Skills window. I'm just leaving it disabled until/unless Harven can resolve the issue.

As far as the missing progress bars on the hotbar actives' tooltips, that does appear to be a game issue because they're still missing with no addons loaded, and ZOS has yet to respond to any of the forum threads, that I've been able to determine. Hopefully they'll be able to resolve that in a patch next Monday, or sooner if they find a more pressing issue that warrants a more immediate patch.
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    For anyone who hasn't yet checked, Harven's Improved Skills Window has been updated and I'm no longer getting the LUA error on logging into a character. I'm not sure what all functions are working and which are not, but the tooltip popups for the morphs are back, and the options in the top right corner are again available. Any further issues with this addon, might be associated with the issue of the hotbar active tooltips not showing the progress bar, and that's not caused by an addon.

• Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For anyone who hasn't yet checked, Harven's Improved Skills Window has been updated and I'm no longer getting the LUA error on logging into a character. I'm not sure what all functions are working and which are not, but the tooltip popups for the morphs are back, and the options in the top right corner are again available. Any further issues with this addon, might be associated with the issue of the hotbar active tooltips not showing the progress bar, and that's not caused by an addon.

And Shinni will update SpentSkillPoints, although it seems we have to wait up to a week for that.
  • SlippyCheeze
    SlippyCheeze
    ✭✭✭

And Shinni will update SpentSkillPoints, although it seems we have to wait up to a week for that.

Don't forget that addon authors are volunteers, and do this for fun. You can always learn lua and send them a fixed version if you want it done sooner...
  • Ulfson
    Ulfson
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,
    I have a simple addon I wrote for myself that just puts a big red X on the UI when the back bar is selected.
    My addon was trapping to an attempt to index a nil value every time I accessed the skills dialog and I found the cause.
    A few of my slash commands were not unique in that it used too general a name (e.g., smax, gmax). By adding my prefix ab such that is was absmax the error stopped. I am not a super programmer and don't really understand the Lua language or the debug fascilities but post this in case is helps someone else.
    There had to be a conflict in that naming that somehow confused the overarching UI system.
    Happy Trails