Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

trouble surviving? wth is going on

peteed1985
Dragon Knight in heavy armour, shield and sword, level 9 and I can handle one mob at a time easy but 2? 2nd one kills me while I kill the first when these things are my level. This is normally everywhere but specific issues now below.

A level 8 quest for the fighters guild to kill Doshia and i'm level 9 yet trying to kill 2 scamps let alone 3 kills me then after a couple of deaths to 3 mobs and stuff get to Doshia and 2 minutes in only done about 5% of its HP and die. Nothing at all to say its a group quest except that my ass got handed to me so easy.
Edited by peteed1985 on April 3, 2014 4:33AM
  • Kemono
    Kemono
    ✭✭✭
    Doshia is a solo quest, you cant bring group in there

Tips:
    Keep equipment to your level (and repaired). if you outleveled your stuff by 2 level -go and craft new set
    Block! Shield by itself do nothing
    Use CC -in your case stone fist

Doshia is healed by flying orbs. You need to destroy them before they reach Doshia (then you will be healed)
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everything Kemono said, and also, dodge! The 2nd imp will throw fire at you, don't stand in it.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragon Knight has lots of handy AoE attacks... I'm partial to the Dark Talons ability myself. It keeps enemies in place so you can deal with the first one while the second is trapped.

To be fair, I have found that guild quests tend to be pretty tough (my mage was pretty over-powered during an at-level Mage Guild quest by the same thing... two scamps). But a DK should be equally tough. Check your equipment and skills. Level 10ish is when mobs start grouping up, so make sure you have some crowd control on hand... and that you use it! DK has a lot of options, so have fun with it. :)

Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Crowd control is definitely your friend. Keep one down while you kill the other. And definitely stay out of the scamps aoes, they hurt, avoid the flames! Even a tank can't just stand there and take it. On that note also remember a tank (in heavy armor) typically has bad spell resistance, so I'll repeat, avoid the fire.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Xionar wrote: »
    On that note also remember a tank (in heavy armor) typically has bad spell resistance, so I'll repeat, avoid the fire.

That's the key point. People need to be aware that armour is useful against physical attacks but does nothing against fire (so not much use against scamps).
  • LOVE
    LOVE
    ✭✭✭✭
    My DK build is now based around maxing Magicka. Why? Well, DK has a lot of skills that boosts defenses in PvE and a lot of skills that disrupt enemies...so I tend to want to maximize my disruptions.

More Magicka = More skill usage. More skill usage = Easier time.
    Still have to move around and dodge opponents (maybe the rare health potion use), but it's definitely easier than just straight tanking.

But like any combat situation, its really hard to avoid some attacks in PvE as they will hit you no matter how far you move or how hard you dodge. Hopefully PvE combat will improve to actually recognize swings that definitely miss. x)
    [ @LOVE ]
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doshia is all a matter of realizing how the mechanics work.
    It gave me a hard time in Beta with my first char too, as I didnt realize the orbs healing Doshia. I went in with level 14 and still managed to die :smile:
    Yesterday I did it with a level 9 DK and it was cake as I never dropped below 75% health.
    The fighting system in ESO is different from all other typical MMOs. You block and parry actively a fact that many players do not realize. Its a key issue to block specials of mobs as many of them will chainstun you if they once land a heavy blow on you. You can pretty easily kill level 14 or 15 mobs with level 10 if you manage to block and cc them correctly.
    Sometimes it may take 2 runs tho ;-)
  • Chirru
    Chirru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Block...dodge...enchant weapons and armor...start cooking to get food and drink buffs...have Alchemy for healing potions...As DK watch everything that throws fire at you...for that is the DK's weakness. The only way I know to get past that is to be quick. Two Scamps must be gone in about three seconds.
    Ah...and do not forget to invest skill-points into the weapon tree. It works of stamina.

My DK has at level 10... 8 health/ 1 magicka and 1 stamina and is doing just fine with magicka and stamina food buffs.
  • chimichi
    chimichi
    put a point in silverbolt. its a good skill against daedra/undead.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Buy the fighter skill silver bolt. I love it. I use dark talons leveled up and set to do damage over time. Dodge out of the way of the scamps fire. Its in a line or a circle you wind up standing in and burning.

Use the both mouse button interrupt on them if you are close. Since you are using a 2 hander get close and make certain you have the AOE attack power for your weapon hit both of them. Combined with an AOE power like Dark Talons this is good.

Use food to boost your stats. If you can add fire resistance to your jewelry.

When fighting the boss kill her bubbles before they get to her.

Mix up your weapons I have all of mine up to level 5 with several at higher level and my sword and board is up to 17 at level 10.
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    The game balance is still off. It seems like the game has been balanced around ranged DPS and or groups of characters. DPS ranged because kiting is a matter of life and death with any class. Yes, tank has to kite a lot as well and has little to no benefits of being a " tank ".

While enemies at the same time are either weak and do a lot of damage and are easy pray for DPS and groups or they are truly tanky with moderate damage which again, only matter if you can not out DPS them or not kite enough.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BETAOPTICS wrote: »
    The game balance is still off. It seems like the game has been balanced around ranged DPS and or groups of characters. DPS ranged because kiting is a matter of life and death with any class. Yes, tank has to kite a lot as well and has little to no benefits of being a " tank ".

While enemies at the same time are either weak and do a lot of damage and are easy pray for DPS and groups or they are truly tanky with moderate damage which again, only matter if you can not out DPS them or not kite enough.

Hmmm I am melee DPS and right now I think I died only twice: one to slaughterfish and once because I said "Oh what's that weird contour around those mobs health bar.." and went checking if I could kill them.... Sorry to say but you might want to read some guides on these boards
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didnt feel like kiting as melee so far. You have to deal with every mobs mechanic then he feels like not a real challenge at all most of the times.
    You do not have a real benefit in kiting mobs - many times they will just stop following you and return with full health. Its much more the fact that many ppl still havent figured out the melee mechanics in TESO.
  • Yshaar
    Yshaar
    ✭✭✭

Wrong. Please learn to play the game, there are a multitude of options to act in combat. It takes time to get used to that. You know that you can use all weapons and armors, right? Use different skills, there are quite a lot.

Talking about balance issues when you are 2 days in the game and probably lvl 15 is just ridiculous.
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »

Hmmm I am melee DPS and right now I think I died only twice: one to slaughterfish and once because I said "Oh what's that weird contour around those mobs health bar.." and went checking if I could kill them.... Sorry to say but you might want to read some guides on these boards

Yes you can but optimally ranged DPS is the best way to go. It doesn't mean that none other type of style can be played, not even a heavy armor melee tank but thus far, it is the weakest way to play the PvE. content in the game.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes you can but optimally ranged DPS is the best way to go. It doesn't mean that none other type of style can be played, not even a heavy armor melee tank but thus far, it is the weakest way to play the PvE. content in the game.

I dunno mate, I haven't had any problems. Wouldn't it be that you are more ranged oriented and dunno how to play melee?
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    Yshaar wrote: »

Wrong. Please learn to play the game, there are a multitude of options to act in combat. It takes time to get used to that. You know that you can use all weapons and armors, right? Use different skills, there are quite a lot.

Talking about balance issues when you are 2 days in the game and probably lvl 15 is just ridiculous.

Ah yes, typical MMO elitist answer. True is however, that my comment is made within the experience I have had thus far and is by no means representing the whole gameplay balance so it is not the statement to tie it all up into a conclusion everyone shares.
    Yes, I can also use different armor, like light but that is exactly my point. Heavy armor tanks are not very many in numbers because there are little to no actual positives to it in exchange of light armor tanks for example.

Why is this? Well because of the passives each of them provides and because of the balance that I have experienced so far definitely caters to lighter sets and thus making the balance centered more towards DPS builds rather than tanking with fullest possible merit.

Everyone for example knows that the optimal way to gear up is two of one armor type and five of other. This is due to the passives and game balance catering around that concept.

So what I am getting at is why choose a heavy armor at all because light armor for example can provide me a lot of damage reductions as well and on top of this, I do a lot more of damage as well as my healing spells are much better due to the mechanics that increasing magicka also increases spell effectiveness.

So while I do get some minor health regeneration advantages with my heavy armor, they are set off by careful usage of light armor healing spells and in turn I lose a chunk of damage I could do with light armor instead.

While I am more safe in theory, I loose too much in turn to ever consider using heavy armor. Balance is not met there.

This is however, my experiences backed up by claims of many famous youtubers 1 year beta testing experience so while I think this is how it works. It is still based highly on experiences and by no means, represent the whole games overall balance.

And I have not tried PvP. Maybe there the difference in power level is a bit different . Maybe the difference in power get's better overtime.

This is why I chose to try the game out with all armor types at least and I found out that the benefits I get over the losses I get are way better for me as a " tank " to take out light armor over heavy armor because when I compared them, I almost get the same amount of tanking potential trough different sources with the exception of light armor giving me a lot more DPS in the end result.

And to think about it. If we would go to play as you like to play, why the optimal way is to take 5 of one armor type and 2 of other and not as many as you see fit. Because, the balance of the game is not entirely yet build around it.
    Edited by BETAOPTICS on April 3, 2014 12:12PM
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL heavy armor doesn't provide tanks with passives that help them? It's the same if you use light armor?

Ok mate, we close it here:I dunno if you have played the game but one thing is sure, you haven't got a clue of what you talking about.
    Bye
  • patrickmaurab14_ESO
    this is not an simple easy game. it took me a while with doshia but I figured it out with my lvl 9 nigh blade who is specced out all most 100percent with dual wield, kite doshia away and make sure to kill the orbs asap
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doshia didnt even take me 2 minutes as 2H NB level 10.
  • Docam
    Docam
    I died like 5 times against the Corruption of the tree boss. Then I figured out the arrow to his knee weakness he had and took no damage from him at all on my DK. Proud moment for a Khajiit!
  • cromica81_ESO
    cromica81_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what to tell you I haven't had any issues yet except the time I pulled 4 mobs at once, I survived but it was close.
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    LOL heavy armor doesn't provide tanks with passives that help them? It's the same if you use light armor?

Ok mate, we close it here:I dunno if you have played the game but one thing is sure, you haven't got a clue of what you talking about.
    Bye

Passives that are worth having over others. It is clear that you can not read or know anything from this game. See, I can play this bliss ignorant attitude as well.

• mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bye

Passives that are worth having over others. It is clear that you can not read or know anything from this game. See, I can play this bliss ignorant attitude as well.

Oh but they are worth having over say, passives that rise my critical, if I want to tank. This is a L2P issue really
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭

Bye

Oh but they are worth having over say, passives that rise my critical, if I want to tank. This is a L2P issue really

No, I'd call it a matter of perspective.