The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Getting a laptop for ESO

Munise
Munise
So recently my old laptop broke and i've been looking for a new one. I'm not really good with them and i don't know much about them and i just want to ask and make sure if this laptop is good enough to play eso. It's a laptop an acquaintance of mine has offered. I asked few friends about it and they say it's a decent laptop for gaming.

Dell Inspiron 7570 i7-7700HQ 15.6" FHD 8GB SSD 240GB GeForce 1050 Titan
leaving a link below too:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/dell-g5-gaming/spd/g-series-15-5587-laptop
Edited by Munise on August 14, 2018 8:02AM
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No laptop!!! :scream:
  • Munise
    Munise
    i won't be only playing eso so I don't want to get laptop that's only for gaming. I'm a student and might need to carry it with me from time to time. But i do love playing games and I don't want to get a laptop that would be barely good for playing.
  • darkstar2084
    darkstar2084
    ✭✭✭✭
    my Lenovo Y50-70 works pretty well and is a few years old. so should be better than that
    I7 4720hq 2.6ghz
    960m 4gb gtx card
    16g ram
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That will do fine for ESO as the game is not that demanding. But, if you can afford a laptop with a 1060 you will get a nice bump in performance.
  • Rivvqah
    Rivvqah
    Soul Shriven
    Should be fine if you don't intend on playing with graphics on ultra. I'm running ESO on a slightly weaker configuration (i5 & GeForece 960), and it works just fine. It does occasionally have an fps drop while on a dungeon, but that's mostly due to the heatwave here lmao.
    In the long run it's much better to get an actual pc though.
  • lpw
    lpw
    ✭✭✭
    This should run ESO and most other games quite nicely tbh.. I much prefer my desktop but I sometimes play on a Inspiron 15 7000, which looks similar (1050ti etc). Does have 16gb ram though I think.

I run ESO, Black Desert, PUBG with high settings etc without any issues.
    ///// AD Master Race Since 2014 /////

Sindri al'Atreyu | Wood Elf Templar
    Eivii | Wood Elf Nightblade
    Saurmia | High Elf Magicka Templar

PC/EU - Beta Tester
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MuniseChan wrote: »
    i won't be only playing eso so I don't want to get laptop that's only for gaming. I'm a student and might need to carry it with me from time to time. But i do love playing games and I don't want to get a laptop that would be barely good for playing.

Hmmm I get that. Still, being a student myself, I'd go for an ultrabook or sth light and utterly incapable of running eso.

Have a proper pc at home, then you can only play on weekends. Which is not a bad thing tbh. Gaming laptops are heavy and they make you look like a nerd, bad idea to take them to lectures. :wink:
    Edited by Ectheliontnacil on August 14, 2018 8:26AM
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's a decent machine, ESO won't fly on it but will be playable with the usual laptop compromise. Just don't expect the same quality of play as on a dedicated desktop tower.

The most important is the cpu and it's max clock. That is your bottleneck.

Alternatively what last person here said is also true. Gaming laptops can be too thick to be handy so it's up to you to consider that and decide for yourself.
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only problem with laptops is over heating, specifically the ultra thin ones, I speak from personal experience, I play on MSI Ghost Pro, 970 GTX, performance is very food, but had issues in warm weather.

Desktop if practical is the best way to go for prolonged gaming.
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have MSI GT72 2Q dominator. Love it. Still runs any game smoothly
    NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    MuniseChan wrote: »
    So recently my old laptop broke and i've been looking for a new one. I'm not really good with them and i don't know much about them and i just want to ask and make sure if this laptop is good enough to play eso. It's a laptop an acquaintance of mine has offered. I asked few friends about it and they say it's a decent laptop for gaming.

Dell Inspiron 7570 i7-7700HQ 15.6" FHD 8GB SSD 240GB GeForce 1050 Titan
    leaving a link below too:
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/dell-g5-gaming/spd/g-series-15-5587-laptop

I would advice you to get at least 512 GB SSD drive. Those offering from Dell seem to make use of mechanical drive as secondary drive which add to weight and is a slower storage then SSD. With how Windows are growing size and how much space you actually need to install or update ESO (downloading is compressed files which need to be unpacked that is why you need double space, when it have been unpacked it will remove those compressed files).

First rule when buying a laptop: always get exactly what you need know and don't expect to upgrade in the future, both as that cost very much to add, there might not be extra space for secondary drive/SSD/HD or anything else and you might need to pay Dell or any authorised to open your laptop and install those items which can cost a lot.

A good cooling solution which is less demanding on fans (those fans are also very small compared to standard for stationary computers which make them sound much more when they spin up during gaming) often means metal (heatpipes and fins) which also can be really heavy to carry around.

I own a Lenovo i7 7700K, 16 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD, so I can tell you that your hope to carry a gaming laptop to lectures will be unpractical. Another issue is how good angles and how bright your screen will be even with IPS technology. A sunny day indoor can be demanding to see anything on screen on those "cheaper" gaming laptop screens. You can of course connect another screen through HDMI or DP, but then you need to take into account how powerful your video processing unit are on higher resolution. GTX 1060 with 6GB dedicated video RAM can work well for resolution up 2560 x 1980 and even 3440 x 1440.

Your link show the next generation of CPU 8th generation from Intel which should have a tiny better efficiency vs heat (for the same clock on i7 7700K it should produce less heat).

My Lenovo have a really good Intel Wifi card installed, so make sure you get an Intel card for wifi network onboard. On my laptop I can at least get around 200 mbit/s downloading on Internet on a 250/250 mbit/s ISP. This depends a bit on your router, so and other factors, but it should give you an idea that what type of network card for wireless is important to take into account. Especially how large ESO have become over the last years in size to download.

EDIT: Make sure that screen have at least a decent colour accuracy. If colours seem to much off it will get annoying while watching a video, looking at pictures and playing games. You can adjust a bit, but in the end that is what really make a difference between those cheaper and those more expensive screens. Also look into getting a dedicated mouse and keyboard (at least for playing ESO). Pads on laptop isn't a very good way to control you PC in game world.

Make also sure that battery time is at least good enough when you only use machine for browsing, typing and general usage outside of gaming as there will be situation where you probably don't have access to power grid and after all you are buying a device which should be mobile.
    Edited by RexyCat on August 14, 2018 10:54AM
  • Raraaku
    Raraaku
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Dell Inspiron 5577 (i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz || 8GB RAM || GeForce 1050 ), so lower specs than your proposed laptop, and I have no problem whatsoever running ESO or nearly any game for that matter; so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

The only potential issue I see with the laptop is HD space. My laptop has a 128GB SSD and a 1TB mechanical HD. If you plan on doing a lot of gaming outside of ESO, you might want to see if it has a mechanical HD option or a bigger SSD.
    Edited by Raraaku on August 14, 2018 10:59AM
    Back from a much needed break. || I like having too many projects and working on them all at once.

Tank Enthusiast || CP: 445 || Stormproof

Tanks
    Karsaak gro-Ursa: DC || Orc || Stamina Dragonknight || Tank || Level: CP 445
    Sir Leopold Stotch: DC || Breton || Magicka Templar || Tank || Level: 445
    Protects-Squishy-Ones: EP || Argonian || Magicka Sorcerer || Tank/CC || Level: CP 445
    Björn Shadow-Walker: EP || Nord || Stamina Nightblade || Tank || Level: 15
    Tiberius Valerion: AD || Imperial || Stamina Warden || Tank || Level: 15

Damage Dealers
    Morrigan Ravyn-Cloak: AD || Altmer || Magicka Nightblade || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ra'Zahkara: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Dragonknight || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ezra al-Khazir: DC || Redguard || Stamina Templar || DPS || Level: 40
    Erryndril Telvaux: EP || Dunmer || Magicka Dragonknight || DPS || Level: 25
    Uzara gra-Khalari: DC || Orc || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [2H/DW] || Level: 15
    Solomon Motierre: DC || Breton || Magicka Sorcerer || DPS || Level: 20
    Ragnar the Wulf: EP || Nord || Stamina Warden || DPS || Level: 30
    Ra'Rahku: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [Bow/Bow] || Level: 15

Healers
    Sees-through-Hist: EP || Argonian || Magicka Warden || Healer/CC || CP 445
    Daedalus the Artificer: AD || Altmer || Magicka Templar || Healer || Level: 15
  • smtdbplus
    smtdbplus
    ✭✭✭
    cost / mobility / performance, you can only choose 2. If money is not an issue, we can talk about slim gaming notebook.

Asus Zephyrus, Razor, Aorus... they all have similar slim gaming notebooks.

As of 3 months ago
    13", max out at 1060 6G
    15", 1070 8G or 1080 8G max-Q
    (even they dont say max q, they are max q, true 1080 appears only in bulk 17 notebook)
    (1080 max q is a tuned down version of 1080 and is only 10% better than 1070)

And then, about screen oled... 60Hz, 144Hz
    And then, mechanical keyboard, key travel distance
    And cooling design

if going to 17 inch, you are talking about raid 0 x 3(4) 512G ssd.... 1080 x 2....

Any of the above will be more powerful than enough for your homework.

A few months back then, I switched from my desktop (980-4G x 2, 64G mem) to Asus big bulk GL703 1070 8G 32G mem. ESO fps drops from 75 to 60 @4k at Rawl. I may get 100+ @4k outside of cities on my notebook

Gaming notebook performance is really close to a desktop.

P.S. Gaming notebook needs to be plugged in to get the full performance. On battery, you are getting 50% of it.

• Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I bought a gaming laptop when my ancient desktop finally gave in... i was really hoping it would last until i found a job somewhere after my degree. I bought a laptop because i can't take a desktop on a plane or crammed into a suitcase.

Unfortunately for you it was from a local business that builds laptops not from a well known brand (metabox). You might want to take a look around so see if there is a custom laptop store in your area.

Otherwise i am an asus/republic of gamers fan. Gigabyte/azorus also seemed good but it wasn't for sale in my area. They are better value than razer and msi but better quality than acer/predator and dell.

Eso ran on my 9yr desktop because its cpu limited and not graphics limited but of course it looks a hell of a lot better and cryodil is actually sometimes playable on my new laptop.