The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Dragonknight's could really do with some more stamina based skills/morphs.

RGD
RGD
✭✭✭
I've been a DK main for a while now, first a Tank, then a Stam DPS, then a Mag DK, and finally a Stam DPS again. Mag DK was fun primarily because of the decent passives, although the sustain was pretty rough, and the abundance of fun Magicka based skills to use, like Whip, Ash Cloud, Petrify, Chains, Flames of Oblivion and so on. The issue I see, though, is that the only 2 classes that have a good amount of Stamina morphs are Nightblade and Warden. I've literally been playing Nightblade and Warden more purely because they have better stamina based passives and more varying skills to utilise.

I know someone's gonna suggest or say "why don't you go back to Mag DK if you liked it so much?" - the problem is I've never been that big into magic type classes, I prefer using Sword&Board, Swords, Bows, etc. I enjoyed the evil, balrog feel, but it didn't feel like my "main" - which my DK is, it's where all my crafting stuff is and most of my achievements are, which is why I switched back to a Stamina based build. Although I saw why StamDK was weaker (at least for PvP) pretty quickly when I learned more about all of the other classes and their options. Warden, for example (at least for Stamina,) feels like a more powerful Dragonknight with different visual effects and better options, which sucks because I much prefer the Dragon theme of the DK.

Now I'm not sure what exactly I'd change the passives to, I'm sure someone's suggested some better passives before though and I could only really suggest changing morphs of Whip, Stone Fist, potentially Inhale, maybe Inferno or Obsidian Shield. It's difficult for me to say what exactly would work or be an improvement, as I'd probably suggest something under or over powered, however I really feel like Stamina DKs need a little loving in the way of options for their type of setup.
XB1 GT: RGD
Xbox One - EU
Ebonheart Pact
CP: 810+
Stamina Dragonknight DD/Tank [Ishak Pasha]
Magicka Nightblade DD [Córvo]

#DeleteCrownCrates
  • Abhaya
    Abhaya
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gonna add sorc to this suggestion. We have a whopping total of 3 skills that use stamina as a resource. Obviously there are some magicka based utility spells that are useful to stamina sorcs but still its kinda sad. Not to mention half of our passives are completely useless.
    Abhaya - PC NA - Ebonheart Pact
    Stam Sorc 2-Hand / Bow Build: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=169103
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    RGD wrote: »
    I've been a DK main for a while now, first a Tank, then a Stam DPS, then a Mag DK, and finally a Stam DPS again. Mag DK was fun primarily because of the decent passives, although the sustain was pretty rough, and the abundance of fun Magicka based skills to use, like Whip, Ash Cloud, Petrify, Chains, Flames of Oblivion and so on. The issue I see, though, is that the only 2 classes that have a good amount of Stamina morphs are Nightblade and Warden. I've literally been playing Nightblade and Warden more purely because they have better stamina based passives and more varying skills to utilise.

I know someone's gonna suggest or say "why don't you go back to Mag DK if you liked it so much?" - the problem is I've never been that big into magic type classes, I prefer using Sword&Board, Swords, Bows, etc. I enjoyed the evil, balrog feel, but it didn't feel like my "main" - which my DK is, it's where all my crafting stuff is and most of my achievements are, which is why I switched back to a Stamina based build. Although I saw why StamDK was weaker (at least for PvP) pretty quickly when I learned more about all of the other classes and their options. Warden, for example (at least for Stamina,) feels like a more powerful Dragonknight with different visual effects and better options, which sucks because I much prefer the Dragon theme of the DK.

Now I'm not sure what exactly I'd change the passives to, I'm sure someone's suggested some better passives before though and I could only really suggest changing morphs of Whip, Stone Fist, potentially Inhale, maybe Inferno or Obsidian Shield. It's difficult for me to say what exactly would work or be an improvement, as I'd probably suggest something under or over powered, however I really feel like Stamina DKs need a little loving in the way of options for their type of setup.

You can still play with a sword/board, swords, bows, if you like, but don’t expect it to be attractive to group play. But you can complete any overland and quest content that’s perfectly viable with your preferences. In group play where other people are relying on you to pull your weight, and wanting to maximize their free time during the activity, it’s not reasonable to place a greater weight on their shoulders simply because you don’t like the play style that provides maximum benefit. If everyone did that, group activities would take significantly more time to complete, and time is the most valuable resource we as human beings will ever have. There’s no regen ticks on time; use it and lose it.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • RGD
    RGD
    ✭✭✭
    You can still play with a sword/board, swords, bows, if you like, but don’t expect it to be attractive to group play. But you can complete any overland and quest content that’s perfectly viable with your preferences. In group play where other people are relying on you to pull your weight, and wanting to maximize their free time during the activity, it’s not reasonable to place a greater weight on their shoulders simply because you don’t like the play style that provides maximum benefit. If everyone did that, group activities would take significantly more time to complete, and time is the most valuable resource we as human beings will ever have. There’s no regen ticks on time; use it and lose it.

I know what weapons are best to use on what (sub?)classes when it comes to stamina vs magicka per situation/build in PvE/PvP. The issue is that there's such a lack of stam morphs and passives that directly benefit stam builds on a few classes like DK and Sorc, not sure exactly about Stamplars, though.
    Xbox One - EU
    Ebonheart Pact

#DeleteCrownCrates
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I dont think you actually read the OP.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on August 11, 2018 11:56PM
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you, but it also applies to pretty much every class except maybe Nightblade/Warden.

DK/Sorc/Templar each have 2-3 Stam morphs, unfortunately. It'd be great to see things revamped, some abilities changed to 3 morphs, with a 3rd Stam morph added, etc.
    eisley the worst
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Builds always use like 3-4 dmg skills at most with the rest being buff and support skills.

Stam dk's have enough dk support skills, wings/ igneous/ hardened

They also have 2 stamina morphs of their dots.

Ignoring the skills that every stamina class uses such a vigor/ rally/ forward momentum/ shuffle etc..

They have enough skills tbh. Buff skills that both mag and stam use with a few dmg morphs including a dmg ult and a defensive ult.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Builds always use like 3-4 dmg skills at most with the rest being buff and support skills.

Ignoring the skills that every stamina class uses such a vigor/ rally/ forward momentum/ shuffle etc..

They have enough skills tbh. Buff skills that both mag and stam use with a few dmg morphs including a dmg ult and a defensive ult.

Your comment seems to be about pvp which I don't think is the problem with stam classes in the game, the current setup works alright with mag skills being used for utility sake in pvp on stam classes. OP is talking about pve where all stam classes are roughly the same and how there are passives that don't benefit us at all, but benefit mag classes.

How useful is 6% poison aoe dmg.. This is an awful passive, there is literally 2 skills in the game if I'm correct. Acid spray and noxious breath. So this passive is almost useless in every build for pve because DK's are built for close range fighting, they are one of the worst bow classes, not to mention bow is a support weapon and does poorly with a bow/bow build right now anyway. Viable, but not great in comparison to dw/bow..

Now lets take a look at magicka. They have blockade, eruption, engulfing flames, and MANY ult options that are in every pve dps build that benefit as aoe fire dmg. Both stam and mag use flames of oblivion yet only mag gets the cp benefits for causing fire dmg, also lowering the chance to proc the poison status effect for stam classes. A mag DK can go completely fire dmg in every way while stam gets... poison injection, noxious breath and venomous claw. 3/12 skill slots when mag can go 12/12.

Poison status effect is a 6 second DoT that does less dmg per tick than burning status effect that is 4 seconds long. Magicka has destruction staves that increase status effect proc chances by double and everything they use is fire so they keep the burning status efffect active 24/7 and because of that they get resources back via the combustion passive and get a constant increased dmg tick per second providing more dps. The only plus side is stam builds get 500 stamina back every 38 seconds from molten armaments. They do get the 5% minor brutality buff but it's only for 20 seconds and it's a group buff, it may be a dps loss to cast molten armaments every 20 seconds. I'm not sure what people choose to do.

Molten Armaments gives you 40% heavy attack dmg but with no major brutality, just major sorcery - clearly meant for mag builds yet it actually benefits stam builds more with quicker heavy attacks using DW. What does the stam side get? Nothing. Igneous weapons just gives the major brutality/sorcery as a group buff but every class in the game has this active 100% of the time through a class skill or weapon power potions.

Stam classes just feel like a complete afterthought, like ZoS never planned for them to be their own builds and part way through development of the game they put together some weapon skill lines to support stam builds. After 4 years of the game being out stamina classes are a bit tired of the same skills. There isn't much variety or class synergy for pve, I don't even play stam dk, but I'm making a mag dk and all I thought was how awful the passives/skills would be if I was interested in stam dks like I am in stam sorc.

Update the passives, give 1-2 skills to replace skills like rearming trap or a spammable, make a poison themed ult thats useful, increase proc chance of poison? I don't know, give something to enforce the idea that stam dks love poison and benefit from investing in to it.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on August 12, 2018 4:35PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I've been pestering the class representatives to bring up more poison-based morphs for StamDKs in their next meeting. I've proposed:

-Poison Talons (benefits from World in Ruin)- I suggest the Choking Talons morph.
    -Poison Inhale (benefits from World in Ruin)- Either morph, really.
    -Poison Spiked Armor (benefits from World in Ruin)- I suggest Hardened Armor since mDKs already have access to shields.

That way- StamDKs aren't limited to Noxious Breath and Corrosive Armor. My three suggestions help with group utility, self-survivability, and damage.

Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been pestering the class representatives to bring up more poison-based morphs for StamDKs in their next meeting. I've proposed:

-Poison Talons (benefits from World in Ruin)- I suggest the Choking Talons morph.
    -Poison Inhale (benefits from World in Ruin)- Either morph, really.
    -Poison Spiked Armor (benefits from World in Ruin)- I suggest Hardened Armor since mDKs already have access to shields.

That way- StamDKs aren't limited to Noxious Breath and Corrosive Armor. My three suggestions help with group utility, self-survivability, and damage.

I'd say those are good ideas, but lets take a look at a typical dps setup for stam dk.

Razor caltrops | Endless Hail | Rearming Trap | Poison Injection (4 slots, used in every stam build)

Noxious Breath | Venomous Claw | Flames of Oblivion (3 slots, most builds will use these too)

That leaves us with 3 slots remaining. Some options people go with -> Rending Slashes, Molten Armaments, Spammable/Vigor.

If these provide the best dps people will go with them, your proposal adds an aoe spamable, which while nice, isn't necessary for "maximum" dps which always focuses on single target unless it's something like endless hail which is a DoT so it provides good dps for both single/aoe scenarios.

Talons could be good as a aoe cc/dot, as long as it provides about 2-3k dps I think it would be worth slotting.

Spiked armor has major ward/resolve so this would be nice to add in to a stam dk dps rotation the same way stam sorcs have it with hurricane, providing a dps buff on the skill could give it some usability in pve, make the dmg reflect poison or physical. Hardened armor is pretty weak as is, but your taking something away from health tanks kit so keep that in mind.

I believe in mixing up the stamina dps meta by providing something to replace the 4 skills that are on every bar. That means there needs to be another DoT added thats either viable as an AoE DoT or a single target DoT that either gives good synergy and execute dmg like poison injection or a self buff like minor force with rearming trap. I don't think people will replace caltrops/endless hail because they effectively provide 7-10k aoe/single target dmg so poison injection/rearming trap are the best candidates.

PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • RGD
    RGD
    ✭✭✭
    erlewine wrote: »
    I agree with you, but it also applies to pretty much every class except maybe Nightblade/Warden.

DK/Sorc/Templar each have 2-3 Stam morphs, unfortunately. It'd be great to see things revamped, some abilities changed to 3 morphs, with a 3rd Stam morph added, etc.

Definitely. I tried Stam Sorc but I couldn't really get into it, considering DK was my main and I prefer the visuals of DK skills, and Warden just feels more versatile than Stam Sorc. Never been into Templars, personally, although I know they're in the same boat with DK and Sorc with stamina setups, if I was running any kinda templar it'd be magicka/healer. Thing is, it wouldn't be all that difficult for them to add some more morphs, change a visual effect here, tweak some numbers there, etc.
    Xbox One - EU
    Ebonheart Pact

#DeleteCrownCrates
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

While I agree with you tha sDK should have more option to play, I don't think the stam whip is a solution. The entire arden flame line is really bad, besides 2 skills (the ulti is just meh) and the passives, especially the passives are the worst on any dmg skill line in the game. So the stam whip will give you nothing in return, and would make the class a mirror to what is mDK: Indiana Jones on Heavy Armor.

Though, I like the idea of Stone Fist being a STONE FIST. A 7mts stam based punch that sets the enemy off balance, ready to receive a full heavy attack (empowered with molten armaments, that should give the bonus to both, stam and magicka based Heavy Attacks). That would be quite cool.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your comment seems to be about pvp which I don't think is the problem with stam classes in the game, the current setup works alright with mag skills being used for utility sake in pvp on stam classes. OP is talking about pve where all stam classes are roughly the same and how there are passives that don't benefit us at all, but benefit mag classes.

How useful is 6% poison aoe dmg.. This is an awful passive, there is literally 2 skills in the game if I'm correct. Acid spray and noxious breath. So this passive is almost useless in every build for pve because DK's are built for close range fighting, they are one of the worst bow classes, not to mention bow is a support weapon and does poorly with a bow/bow build right now anyway. Viable, but not great in comparison to dw/bow..

Now lets take a look at magicka. They have blockade, eruption, engulfing flames, and MANY ult options that are in every pve dps build that benefit as aoe fire dmg. Both stam and mag use flames of oblivion yet only mag gets the cp benefits for causing fire dmg, also lowering the chance to proc the poison status effect for stam classes. A mag DK can go completely fire dmg in every way while stam gets... poison injection, noxious breath and venomous claw. 3/12 skill slots when mag can go 12/12.

Poison status effect is a 6 second DoT that does less dmg per tick than burning status effect that is 4 seconds long. Magicka has destruction staves that increase status effect proc chances by double and everything they use is fire so they keep the burning status efffect active 24/7 and because of that they get resources back via the combustion passive and get a constant increased dmg tick per second providing more dps. The only plus side is stam builds get 500 stamina back every 38 seconds from molten armaments. They do get the 5% minor brutality buff but it's only for 20 seconds and it's a group buff, it may be a dps loss to cast molten armaments every 20 seconds. I'm not sure what people choose to do.

Molten Armaments gives you 40% heavy attack dmg but with no major brutality, just major sorcery - clearly meant for mag builds yet it actually benefits stam builds more with quicker heavy attacks using DW. What does the stam side get? Nothing. Igneous weapons just gives the major brutality/sorcery as a group buff but every class in the game has this active 100% of the time through a class skill or weapon power potions.

Stam classes just feel like a complete afterthought, like ZoS never planned for them to be their own builds and part way through development of the game they put together some weapon skill lines to support stam builds. After 4 years of the game being out stamina classes are a bit tired of the same skills. There isn't much variety or class synergy for pve, I don't even play stam dk, but I'm making a mag dk and all I thought was how awful the passives/skills would be if I was interested in stam dks like I am in stam sorc.

Update the passives, give 1-2 skills to replace skills like rearming trap or a spammable, make a poison themed ult thats useful, increase proc chance of poison? I don't know, give something to enforce the idea that stam dks love poison and benefit from investing in to it.

Although there is no statement that bow is a support weapon, I wish it wasnt balanced as one. Bow/bow should be competitive like destro/destro or dw/bow.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JobooAGS wrote: »

Although there is no statement that bow is a support weapon, I wish it wasnt balanced as one. Bow/bow should be competitive like destro/destro or dw/bow.

It's designed that way to both magicka and stamina have a support type weapon.
    PS4 EU DC

• JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And which zos reprentative said it was bow?
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The playerbase has.

Its a weapon that gives mobility, range, aoe ground dots, the longest range skill in the game and a passive execute skill.
    PS4 EU DC

• JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The playerbase has.

Its a weapon that gives mobility, range, aoe ground dots, the longest range skill in the game and a passive execute skill.

You can argue that 2h is a support weapon as it gives brutality, snare removal/burst heal, a powerful execute a bleed that gives ult or a damage shield, stam regen on kill and a gap closer.
    Also 2w is a support weapon as it gives brutality from a distance, has healing morphs, a powerful bleed that snares or heals, a huge damage reduction fire and forget skill that can also give major expedition an undodgeable execute and a passive execute.

So tell me why bow cannot be a primary weapon?