The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

pve dps magblade, help plz

MooseKnuckles88
MooseKnuckles88
✭✭✭✭
It's pretty bad for me. I'm still new to the class and learning a little more each day. Currently a cp470 darkelf magblade pve, but I've tweaked it a little bit to do some midyear mayhem stuff. I'm done with my achievements and working on getting a rotation down that works for me in pve along with setting back up my skill bars.

I did a 3mil test parse and was very VERY disappointed with my results. I had massive sustain issues only averaging 15kdps (peak of 18k dps) despite using witchmothers brew. I have full 5pc armor in siroria divines, 5pc of mothers sorrow (inferno staffs and jewelry), and 2pc skoria monster set.

Front bar: siphoning attacks, merciless resolve, impale, funnel health, inner light and destro ultimate.

Back bar: elemental blockade, crippling grasp, refreshing path, harness magicka, inner light, ultimate incap. I've also tried dropping inner light on the nack bar and put in ele drain with no better outcome.

Im considering dropping siroria gear for shroud of the lich or something else? I see other people hit 30k dps in their sleep, yet I'm struggling to do half that. I'll admit it is more than likely a l2p issue, but not sure where to get a foothold.
  • SammyFable
    SammyFable
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't drop Inner Light for Ele Drain, instead drop Harness. The reason for this is, while Inner Light boosts your damage through giving you 7% more max magicka, Harness is a completely defensive skill. So it can be replaced on a dummy fight.
    You should practise a LOT and get your rotation pierced into your mind and muscles. And don't forget to weave. Shoot a light attack in between each ability. Doing this step will drastically increase the effectiveness of Merciless and it adds a ton of DPS all by itself.
    Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Tick Tock Terrorist Tormentor
    Immortal Memer
    Gryphon Heart
    Options
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The magblade rotation is not so simple because its not a static rotation. You bascially weave Funnel between keeping up 3 DoTs, 2 buffs (3 with ele drain) and one merciless proc after 5 weaves.

Grippling Grasp and Blockade have the same duration but the other skills dont synch up well.

The good thing is that your race, CP and gear are good enough to reach at least 35k dps, even if it doesnt feel like it now.

If you’re on PC I would highly recommend Action Duration Reminder addon to track each skill duration. There’s also a good addon to track Merciless procs, its called something like Grim Focus Counter.

You want at least 2 merciless procs for each time you cast the buff. For me it helped to get the Atronach mundus, Witchmothers, blue trash pots and just weave Funnels and fire off merciless procs. If you get this down you can add Siphoning, after you get that down add Blockade etc etc.

You dont want to worry about sustain or dps before getting the hang of the rotation. Combat Metrics addon is also really helpful to analyze buff up-time so you can see that you forgot the recast buffs or ground AOEs.

After you’re done practicing do a parse with Lover mundus and spell power pots to see what your dps really looks like. Its a bit pointless to waste expensive pots while practicing, just make sure you’re used to keeping up trash pots while practicing.

You will need some time but if you work on it systematically the 30k+ dps will come.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
    Options
  • qwyksylver
    qwyksylver
    ✭✭
    if you have access to summerset then elemental weapon is a better spammable than funnel. I'd swap siphoning strikes for either path or cripple, swap inner light on backbar to trap and trade shield out for ele drain when you parse. When parsing apply ele and your buffs, drop trap and then drop blockade, path and cripple then go into your spammable. Once bow proc is up use it, after that it's just maintaining buffs/debuffs and getting as many bow procs as you can
    Kazim Udar - CP 750 Nightblade PC/NA vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL - vHoF - vAS - vCR+2
    Options
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't use the "dummy"...go out and kill stuff and learn rotations that way.....no Boss just stands there smiling at you.
    Options
  • Splattercat_83
    Splattercat_83
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »
    Don't use the "dummy"...go out and kill stuff and learn rotations that way.....no Boss just stands there smiling at you.

I aggree and dissagree with this statement. I think that you should learn your rotation and PRACTICE it on a dummy first so you don't have the pressure and can get the muscle memory to be able to do it without thinking about it. It will make it much easier to use in a real fight because you won't be having to think about what you have to hit in what order while trying to do mechanics. Once you got that down my personal experience is to get a friend that is a healer and another friend that is a healer and go take on world bosses.

Here is why I say this, your not in a dungeon and you are less likely to run into toxic players. People don't want you coming into dugeon runs and learning your rotation. You will get experience fighting a tanked boss while you will still have some mechanics to watch out for, and have your healer friend throw orbs, shards, and have other synergies so you can get used to using those in actual combat.

You can also pick up some good gear that will be usefull/profitable for you. Farming the motifs in Wrothgar, Summerset etc.
    Also the Deshaan world bosses can drop some highly desired gear like mothers sorrow. Good luck!
    Options
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, with that gear having 15k DPS is just not possible, really.
    It sounds like you are not weaving - not using light attacks in between skills

Also would be nice to have a knowledge about your CP allocation.

Here is my lol tests (22k) from cp560
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xfZs5SN40k

Now it's a bit better - closer to 30k. And other gear: Julianos + Scathing Mage + Valkyn, bit changed CPs either
    Still far from top with their 50k, but I didn't have Siroria at all - lazy to farm it...
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
    Options
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    qwyksylver wrote: »
    if you have access to summerset then elemental weapon is a better spammable than funnel. I'd swap siphoning strikes for either path or cripple, swap inner light on backbar to trap and trade shield out for ele drain when you parse. When parsing apply ele and your buffs, drop trap and then drop blockade, path and cripple then go into your spammable. Once bow proc is up use it, after that it's just maintaining buffs/debuffs and getting as many bow procs as you can

I did make some changes to my skills that I use and one of them was getting my psijic skill line to 10. I'm using elemental weapon as my spammable and the precursor to channeled acceleration since I haven't unlock the morph just yet. And really drop siphoning attacks???? I thought siphoning attacks was a must have for magblades.
    SilverWF wrote: »
    Well, with that gear having 15k DPS is just not possible, really.
    It sounds like you are not weaving - not using light attacks in between skills

Also would be nice to have a knowledge about your CP allocation.

Here is my lol tests (22k) from cp560
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xfZs5SN40k

Now it's a bit better - closer to 30k. And other gear: Julianos + Scathing Mage + Valkyn, bit changed CPs either
    Still far from top with their 50k, but I didn't have Siroria at all - lazy to farm it...

Believe me, I'm not proud to admit to that. I was averaging 15k dps, right now I'm up to 20k dps which is still terrible and a far shot from my potential. Even my magwarden hits harder than my magblade currently. One of my biggest issues I'm having is resource management. I'm not sure if I'm over casting skills or what but once I start approaching 30% health on a test dummy the wheels start falling off the train and my magicka is critically low causing me to heavy attack when I should be ready for execution. I will post my cp allocation later when I'm able to get on.
    Options
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dont listen to this guy.

Dummy will help you understand how to best push dps from your character. Then you can play more dynamic rotations during content when it is more natural as required but you will know the 100% solution.

Alternatively sont worry about it, spam *** and hope for the best. This is what most people seem to do.
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If trying to actually learn a mageblade "rotation", you couldnt give worse advice. This must be practiced first if you want it to work in content. It is arguably the hardest rotation in the game as it really does need to be a dynamic rotation if you want good results. Stamblade is like a hybrid dynamic rotation, as their are static parts to it that repeat, which IMO, makes the stamina version slightly easier (harder to play in actual content though).

To the OP. If your sustain is struggling, then one of 4 things is happening. Most likely, your light attack weave needs work. NBs sustain with light attacks. If you arent light attack weaving every skill, you are going to struggle. The other obvious problem is that your siphoning uptime is bad, which is how the first point works. Third, your elemental drain up time is bad. We need the return from this skill if we want to sustain without heavy attacks. Fourth, your potion uptime is bad.

As stated, when parsing on a dummy, Ele Drain replaces your shield on your back bar. If you are going to drop IL on your back bar, you do it for a skill that gives minor force (Channeled Acceleration or Trap).

If you are looking for a smooth circular rotation, look to another class. If you want to master a dynamic rotation, be prepared to spend hours and hours on a dummy.

The best advice I can give is to build towards a full rotation. Start by practicing your merciless. Keep the buff up, make sure you can weave funnel health and that every 5th skill is a bow proc. You should be getting 3 per cast of merciless. This alone takes practice. If you cant do that, the rest wont matter.

Then add in blockade, siphoning and elemental drain. This will allow you to sustain for longer, and it will start to feel like a rotation. Then add in Twisting Path and cripple. If you try to juggle everything out of the gate, it will likely go badly.

Dont think of a rotation, think of priorities. Your priorities are as follows: Merciless/Bow Proc>Elemental Blockade>Twisting Path>Cripple>Siphoning>Spam Skill. You also need ele drain (a friend can help you here) and potions up 24/7. You wont sustain without potions. Above 25% health, your spam skill is either funnel or elemental Weapon, and below it is impale. Below 25%, you can stop using Path and cripple.

Practice, practice, Practice.

Edit: Dont listen to anybody telling you to drop siphoning attacks.

Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 9, 2018 4:38PM
    Options
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you didnt state your mundus stone, drop ward for ele drain, no vma staves, are your weapons at least gold, do you have alchemy maxed, do you use spell power pots, are you light attack weaving, are you keeping up buffs.

my advice, go get the psijic skill line maxed. you are using best in slot gear minus the vma staff and zaan.

the faster you kill the dummy, less of an issue sustain is. also, magblades have the best sustain out of all mag classes
    Edited by SoLooney on August 9, 2018 4:44PM
    Options
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭

If trying to actually learn a mageblade "rotation", you couldnt give worse advice. This must be practiced first if you want it to work in content. It is arguably the hardest rotation in the game as it really does need to be a dynamic rotation if you want good results. Stamblade is like a hybrid dynamic rotation, as their are static parts to it that repeat, which IMO, makes the stamina version slightly easier (harder to play in actual content though).

To the OP. If your sustain is struggling, then one of 4 things is happening. Most likely, your light attack weave needs work. NBs sustain with light attacks. If you arent light attack weaving every skill, you are going to struggle. The other obvious problem is that your siphoning uptime is bad, which is how the first point works. Third, your elemental drain up time is bad. We need the return from this skill if we want to sustain without heavy attacks. Fourth, your potion uptime is bad.

As stated, when parsing on a dummy, Ele Drain replaces your shield on your back bar. If you are going to drop IL on your back bar, you do it for a skill that gives minor force (Channeled Acceleration or Trap).

If you are looking for a smooth circular rotation, look to another class. If you want to master a dynamic rotation, be prepared to spend hours and hours on a dummy.

The best advice I can give is to build towards a full rotation. Start by practicing your merciless. Keep the buff up, make sure you can weave funnel health and that every 5th skill is a bow proc. You should be getting 3 per cast of merciless. This alone takes practice. If you cant do that, the rest wont matter.

Then add in blockade, siphoning and elemental drain. This will allow you to sustain for longer, and it will start to feel like a rotation. Then add in Twisting Path and cripple. If you try to juggle everything out of the gate, it will likely go badly.

Dont think of a rotation, think of priorities. Your priorities are as follows: Merciless/Bow Proc>Elemental Blockade>Twisting Path>Cripple>Siphoning>Spam Skill. You also need ele drain (a friend can help you here) and potions up 24/7. You wont sustain without potions. Above 25% health, your spam skill is either funnel or elemental Weapon, and below it is impale. Below 25%, you can stop using Path and cripple.

Practice, practice, Practice.

Edit: Dont listen to anybody telling you to drop siphoning attacks.

Another great post, thank you. I do spend quite a bit of time in front of a target dummy, and I know the only way I'm gonna get better is by spending more time doing that. I'm in this for the long haul at this point.
    SoLooney wrote: »
    you didnt state your mundus stone, drop ward for ele drain, no vma staves, are your weapons at least gold, do you have alchemy maxed, do you use spell power pots, are you light attack weaving, are you keeping up buffs.

my advice, go get the psijic skill line maxed. you are using best in slot gear minus the vma staff and zaan.

the faster you kill the dummy, less of an issue sustain is. also, magblades have the best sustain out of all mag classes

My mundus stone is apprentice atm. My weapons are gold infused flame staffs (mothers sorrow). I do not have any vMA staffs. I am using trash mag pots, I will use spell power pots once I get a better handle on my rotation without it. I do have my alchemy to lv50 with medicinal use skills maxed. I recently finished the psijic skill line to lv10. I have the elemental weapon morph as my spam, and I nearly have accelerate ready to morph to channeled acceleration. I do not have zaans helm yet, and honestly don't know if using it in dungeons/trials is really that practical (for me) anyway.

I will post my cp distribution when I get on eso. I appreciate the feedback everyone has given.
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zaan will give you more DPS on a dummy but unless you are doing really advanced burn strats where your nose is always on the boss, skoria is going be the better option 99% of the time. On a dummy it’s a difference of like 1500 DPS.

As to the mundus, they are all gonna be pretty close at your level of damage. In a fully buffed raid, thief is the best. On a solo dummy, lover is the best. I think another really viable option is the mage. You can get your magic up to like 47k (50+with a warhorn). It makes your shields bigger and does help sustain because your pool is bigger at the start. I like mage mundus in small group play a lot.
    Options
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are people who will tell you that you can't do decent DPS on magblade without expensive spell power pots and a dynamic rotation.

I'm here to tell you that these people are wrong.

Yeah, you need a dynamic rotation to hit the big numbers that popular YouTubers are hitting. If you're on PC, a dynamic rotation is somewhat easier to achieve, thanks to add-ons that track ground AOEs and Merciless procs. If you want a dynamic rotation on console, you literally have to count light attacks in your head.

I dunno about you, but I can't do that. My main DPS is a 40k DPS pet sorc, and I'm used to static rotations.

So, I set out with the goal of creating a magblade build for my alt that could hit at least 30k DPS with a static rotation; I achieved a magblade that can hit 35k DPS with a static rotation while using trashpots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te6mFrpF5G8

Gear:
    5x Imperfect Siroria, 5x Mother's Sorrow, 2x Valkyn Skoria, 1x VMA Inferno Staff

All divines with magicka glyphs on armour pieces, infused dual staves with flame damage on front bar and spell damage on back bar, 1x mag recovery glyph on one jewellery piece, 2x spell damage glyphs on the other jewellery pieces.

Mundus:

Lover (just for the skeleton parse -- use Apprentice if you're in an optimized group... or stick with Lover, whatevs)

Food:

Witchmother's for more sustain

Skills:

Front Bar: Twisting Path, Impale, Degeneration, Merciless Resolve, Inner Light, Fiery Rage
    Back Bar: Unstable Wall of Fire, Crippling Grasp, Elemental Drain/Harness Magicka, Siphoning Attacks, Inner Light, Soul Harvest

Why Degeneration? Sure, you end up overcasting it with my rotation, but it's much cheaper than Swallow Soul (helping with sustain), it obviates the need for spell power pots when you're practicing, and it's not bad for self heals. You also get empower from the Mage's Guild passive that increases the damage of your light attack just before you hit your Merciless Bow proc. If you want to waste money on spell pots and risk running out of magicka, throw Swallow Soul in its place. Why the other, shorter morph of blockade? Because the purpose of this build was to design a static rotation that still maximizes Merciless Resolve bow procs. Unstable Wall of Fire's final damage burst procs just as you're ready to cast the skill again, so there's no downtime on the dot.

Rotation:

Prebuffs + Initial Ult: Merciless Resolve > Siphoning > Ele Drain > Destro Ult

Main rotation: LA > Blockade > LA > Crippling Grasp > Weapon Swap > LA > Twisting > LA > Degeneration > LA > Bow Proc

After every third bow proc, recast Merciless Resolve, swap cancel, cast Siphoning Attacks, and start in on the main rotation. The only difference this time is that you throw in LA > Elemental Drain after Crippling Grasp.

When you're in execute range, work in as much Impale spam as you can while still keeping up your dots.

Easy peasy 35k. No, you won't be at the top of any leaderboards, but you can still complete all the content in the game with the added bonus of NOT having to master a difficult dynamic rotation. If I were to gold everything out, I could probably squeeze even more out of it.
    Options
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aurielle
    How ppl can play without damage numbers? Your video shows literally nothing.
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
    Options
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SilverWF wrote: »
    @Aurielle
    How ppl can play without damage numbers? Your video shows literally nothing.

LOL, you can see the results at the very end in text chat. My video does not show “literally nothing.” It shows me hitting 35.7k DPS on a 3 million dummy. I don’t enable floating damage numbers because I’m on console, and I need to do everything I can to reduce random frame rate stuttering.

Edited by Aurielle on August 9, 2018 6:40PM
    Options
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    There are people who will tell you that you can't do decent DPS on magblade without expensive spell power pots and a dynamic rotation.

Yeah, you need a dynamic rotation to hit the big numbers that popular YouTubers are hitting. If you're on PC, a dynamic rotation is somewhat easier to achieve, thanks to add-ons that track ground AOEs and Merciless procs. If you want a dynamic rotation on console, you literally have to count light attacks in your head.

I dunno about you, but I can't do that. My main DPS is a 40k DPS pet sorc, and I'm used to static rotations.

So, I set out with the goal of creating a magblade build for my alt that could hit at least 30k DPS with a static rotation; I achieved a magblade that can hit 35k DPS with a static rotation while using trashpots.

Gear:
    5x Imperfect Siroria, 5x Mother's Sorrow, 2x Valkyn Skoria, 1x VMA Inferno Staff

All divines with magicka glyphs on armour pieces, infused dual staves with flame damage on front bar and spell damage on back bar, 1x mag recovery glyph on one jewellery piece, 2x spell damage glyphs on the other jewellery pieces.

Mundus:

Lover (just for the skeleton parse -- use Apprentice if you're in an optimized group... or stick with Lover, whatevs)

Food:

Skills:

Front Bar: Twisting Path, Impale, Degeneration, Merciless Resolve, Inner Light, Fiery Rage
    Back Bar: Unstable Wall of Fire, Crippling Grasp, Elemental Drain/Harness Magicka, Siphoning Attacks, Inner Light, Soul Harvest

Why Degeneration? Sure, you end up overcasting it with my rotation, but it's much cheaper than Swallow Soul (helping with sustain), it obviates the need for spell power pots when you're practicing, and it's not bad for self heals. You also get empower from the Mage's Guild passive that increases the damage of your light attack just before you hit your Merciless Bow proc. If you want to waste money on spell pots and risk running out of magicka, throw Swallow Soul in its place. Why the other, shorter morph of blockade? Because the purpose of this build was to design a static rotation that still maximizes Merciless Resolve bow procs. Unstable Wall of Fire's final damage burst procs just as you're ready to cast the skill again, so there's no downtime on the dot.

Rotation:

Main rotation: LA > Blockade > LA > Crippling Grasp > Weapon Swap > LA > Twisting > LA > Degeneration > LA > Bow Proc

After every third bow proc, recast Merciless Resolve, swap cancel, cast Siphoning Attacks, and start in on the main rotation. The only difference this time is that you throw in LA > Elemental Drain after Crippling Grasp.

When you're in execute range, work in as much Impale spam as you can while still keeping up your dots.

Easy peasy 35k. No, you won't be at the top of any leaderboards, but you can still complete all the content in the game with the added bonus of NOT having to master a difficult dynamic rotation. If I were to gold everything out, I could probably squeeze even more out of it.

I'm on console too, and not having those fancy add ons definitely makes me feel gimped at times. Ty for sharing this, I'll see if I can replicate this later since I have 99% of the gear (no vma staff)
    Options
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gear:

Mundus:

Food:

Skills:

Rotation:

I'm on console too, and not having those fancy add ons definitely makes me feel gimped at times. Ty for sharing this, I'll see if I can replicate this later since I have 99% of the gear (no vma staff)

No problem, hope it helps. :) Remember, too, that CP is also a factor. Which reminds me... The part of my CP setup that’s relevant to damage/sustain looks like this:

Apprentice:
    Elfborn: 48
    Elemental Expert: 43
    Spell Erosion: 10

Atronach:
    Staff Expert: 16
    Master at Arms: 61

Ritual:
    Thaumaturge: 72

Lover:
    Arcanist: 100

Also, are you a vampire? If not, the passives help a lot with sustain.

Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gear:

Mundus:

Food:

Skills:

Rotation:

Bravo for going outside the box, seriously. You can absolutely play a static rotation on mageblade, but you are likely going to top out somewhere in the 30s, at least that was the case for me when I first started playing one. Which kinda brings us back around to one of my first points. If you want a static rotation, you will do better with another class. Is 35 enough for all content? Absolutely. But why not just play a static sorc at that point and break into the 40s. Heck, on a mageblade in BIS gear, you can hit 30k single target by using Blockade, merciless resolve, and a light attack spam with bow procs. There are lots of ways to get into the 30s. If you want to get into the mid to high 40s or have any thought of breaking 50k, it doesnt work anymore.

I assume that most people on the forums coming to ask for help are seeing youtubers pull big numbers, rolling a mageblade, and then being like WTF am I doing differently. haha. Well, the dynamic rotation is the difference most likely.

I actually like degeneration on a mageblade. I dont use it the way you do, but in 4 man, I replace cripple with degeneration. You lose like 1.5k-2k. single target and save on the potion bill. Since we still use twisting/refreshing path, we have mobility when we need it.

I do not, however, like the idea of dropping funnel anywhere outside of a high end raid pushing score. It's just too good of a skill for yourself and the rest of your group. Also, if you are in a raid good enough to utilize elemental weapon, you should be using a dynamic rotation IMO.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 9, 2018 7:59PM
    Options
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ty for putting down your cp distribution. I would have to tweak mine a bit since I'm only cp480.

No, I'm not a vampire. I'm not completely familiar with vampirism in eso. I know it helps with magicka regen, but also grants extra fire damage the higher the level I become as well as looking....creepier lol
    Options
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gear:

Mundus:

Food:

Skills:

Rotation:

Bravo for going outside the box, seriously. You can absolutely play a static rotation on mageblade, but you are likely going to top out somewhere in the 30s, at least that was the case for me when I first started playing one. Which kinda brings us back around to one of my first points. If you want a static rotation, you will do better with another class. Is 35 enough for all content? Absolutely. But why not just play a static sorc at that point and break into the 40s. Heck, on a mageblade in BIS gear, you can hit 30k single target by using Blockade, merciless resolve, and a light attack spam with bow procs. There are lots of ways to get into the 30s. If you want to get into the mid to high 40s or have any thought of breaking 50k, it doesnt work anymore.

I assume that most people on the forums coming to ask for help are seeing youtubers pull big numbers, rolling a mageblade, and then being like WTF am I doing differently. haha. Well, the dynamic rotation is the difference most likely.

I actually like degeneration on a mageblade. I dont use it the way you do, but in 4 man, I replace cripple with degeneration. You lose like 1.5k-2k. single target and save on the potion bill. Since we still use twisting/refreshing path, we have mobility when we need it.

I do not, however, like the idea of dropping funnel anywhere outside of a high end raid pushing score. It's just too good of a skill for yourself and the rest of your group. Also, if you are in a raid good enough to utilize elemental weapon, you should be using a dynamic rotation IMO.

I get what you're saying, and I definitely agree that there are much better class options for static rotations. There's a reason why my magsorc is my main for serious content. I only use my magblade to farm tel var and occasionally run pledges, so 35k is more than enough for that.

People (especially new magblade players on console following PC players' YouTube videos) have to keep in mind that dynamic light attack rotations are very difficult to pull off on console, due to the performance limitations of the system. In the heat of battle, it's often nearly impossible to tell if you've landed precisely five light attacks and need to swap to your front bar. We also have no way to track our ground AOEs. With add-ons and silky smooth 100 FPS, I might be able to pull off a dynamic magblade rotation. Until then? No way. It's way too much to keep track of without additional help -- for me, at least. I have a lot of respect for any console player who manages to pull off a dynamic magblade rotation.
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gear:

Mundus:

Food:

Skills:

Rotation:

I get what you're saying, and I definitely agree that there are much better class options for static rotations. There's a reason why my magsorc is my main for serious content. I only use my magblade to farm tel var and occasionally run pledges, so 35k is more than enough for that.

People (especially new magblade players on console following PC players' YouTube videos) have to keep in mind that dynamic light attack rotations are very difficult to pull off on console, due to the performance limitations of the system. In the heat of battle, it's often nearly impossible to tell if you've landed precisely five light attacks and need to swap to your front bar. We also have no way to track our ground AOEs. With add-ons and silky smooth 100 FPS, I might be able to pull off a dynamic magblade rotation. Until then? No way. It's way too much to keep track of without additional help -- for me, at least. I have a lot of respect for any console player who manages to pull off a dynamic magblade rotation.

Yeah, I totally get that. I would definitely not play mageblade if I were on console. I would probably be running a heavy attack mag sorc with a small to medium zoo in tow. Haha
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 9, 2018 9:49PM
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ty for putting down your cp distribution. I would have to tweak mine a bit since I'm only cp480.

No, I'm not a vampire. I'm not completely familiar with vampirism in eso. I know it helps with magicka regen, but also grants extra fire damage the higher the level I become as well as looking....creepier lol

Vamp is definitely helpful for sustain. Most of the content in this game, you really wont feel the drawbacks of being a vamp. There are a few fights where it is good practice to lower your vamp to stage 2, but I really dont think anything requires it if you are on your game.

Honestly, the biggest drawback from being a vamp is the fact that you look like an extra from the Walking Dead...
    Options
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep working on your rotation. Magblade pve dps is very high. You have to keep up your buffs and hit spectral arrow at least twice per cycle.
    I drop path, blockade. Cripple. la between all (and cancel the ani of the la) swap. Spam funnel or impale, depending on health remaining of target.
    Just get your rotation down and your dummy parses will skyrocket. I don’t personally rely on dummy parses because they are not realistic, but my magblade is 40+ after learning how to weave the la’s, which is hard with some of the magblade skills, funnel fights me

I’m on console, you can get there. Honestly speaking, sorcs are easier on console tho
    Edited by paulychan on August 9, 2018 10:02PM
    Options
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so I'm cp 484 to be exact and my cp distribution is as follows:

Blue trees
    31 in elfborn
    27 in elemental expert

14 staff expert
    45 master at arms

44 thaumaturge

Green trees
    27 warlord

100 arcanist

23 tumbling
    11 shadow ward

Red trees
    66 iron clad

27 hardy
    32 thick skinned
    37 elemental defender

I'm thinking of adding more into elemental expert and take some out of thaumaturge.

Like stated above, I'm only cp484 atm
    Options
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    I’m no mag blade expert but I can do alright. I do two things differently than most. I use 2x spell dmg and 1x mag regent glyphs on jewelry. I also use a static rotation, which I find easier to maintain in actual fights especially on console with no addons. My rotation is as follows.

Siphoning merciless destro ult (la blockade la path la cripple la funnel la bow la funnel la funnel la blockade la cripple la bow la path la blockade la ele drain la cripple la funnel la bow la merciless la siphoning) then repeat what’s in the (). Use the cheap nb ult (forget the name) as soon at its ready and right before a bar swap. You can directly replace funnel with ele weapon if you’d like.
    I hit around 41-43 on dummy with this rotation. That’s wearing burning spellweave and master architect. Think it would go up if I had Siroria.
    Hope it helps.
    Options
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    This feels like insanity, I can not seem to hit any harder than 21k to 22k dps if my life depended on it.

Gear:
    Head: Skoria heavy divines purple
    Chest: siroria light divines gold
    Shoulder's: skoria light infused purple
    Waist: siroria light divines purple
    Hands: siroria light divines purple
    Legs: siroria light divines infused
    Feet: siroria light divines purple
    Neck: mother's sorrow purple mag rec enchant
    Ring1/2: both mothers sorrow mag rec enchant

Fb weapon: mothers sorrow infused flame staff gold with shock enchant
    Bb weapon: mothers sorrow infused flame staff gold with flame enchant

I'm gonna keep trying to get my dps higher no matter what. One issue I've been having is the elemental weapon skill charges but doesnt cast. Sometimes I charge my weapon 2 or 3 times and my light attack doesnt cast.
    Options
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Gear:

Mundus:

Food:

Skills:

Rotation:

You can actually keep track of your light attacks towards bow procs on your buff tracker.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

Options
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This feels like insanity, I can not seem to hit any harder than 21k to 22k dps if my life depended on it.

Gear:

I'm gonna keep trying to get my dps higher no matter what. One issue I've been having is the elemental weapon skill charges but doesnt cast. Sometimes I charge my weapon 2 or 3 times and my light attack doesnt cast.

3 magicka recovery enchants aren't really helping your DPS, but really at the point you're at it's mostly rotation issues.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

Options
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Gear:

3 magicka recovery enchants aren't really helping your DPS, but really at the point you're at it's mostly rotation issues.

I agree, I'm not really having sustain issues anymore, more like rotation issues. I'm thinking of dropping elemental weapon and going back to funnel. I know I'm charging my weapon but my light attack won't cast causing me to have to recharge my weapon causing my dots and buffs to fall off.
    Options
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Gear:

I agree, I'm not really having sustain issues anymore, more like rotation issues. I'm thinking of dropping elemental weapon and going back to funnel. I know I'm charging my weapon but my light attack won't cast causing me to have to recharge my weapon causing my dots and buffs to fall off.

Hard to say what's going on there with out a video. Could be lag, could be you're rushing your rotation. Both skills and light attacks have a cooldown of roughly one second so if you're trying to go too fast then you could have skills and/or light attacks not firing. Best advice I can give about weaving is it's not so much about speed than it is about rhythm.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

Options