The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO Destop icon gone, replaced with generic globe icon

Timithos
Timithos
Soul Shriven
Steam / Windows 7

I lost my ESO desktop icon a couple months ago, and am trying to figure out how to get it back. I have uninstalled ESO and re-installed. I have run the Launch>Options>Repair tool. I do still have the Start menu Steam directory ESO favicon icon.

On the icon properties there is a Change Icon option, but I have no idea where to browse for the ESO icon, nor what file type an icon even is.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    If you are using ESO through Steam, you can right click ESO in your steam window and click on "create desktop shortcut" to create a shortcut.

You can also create a shortcut on the desktop to ESO or any other program or file by following these steps:
    1. Use My Computer or Windows Explorer to locate the object to which you want to create a shortcut.
    2. Right-click the object (By default the launch should be located at Zenimax Online\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe).
    3. Click Create Shortcut.
    4. Drag the new shortcut to an open area on the desktop.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    If you are using ESO through Steam, you can right click ESO in your steam window and click on "create desktop shortcut" to create a shortcut.

You can also create a shortcut on the desktop to ESO or any other program or file by following these steps:
    1. Use My Computer or Windows Explorer to locate the object to which you want to create a shortcut.
    2. Right-click the object (By default the launch should be located at Zenimax Online\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe).

Or if using win 10, just right-click the launcher executable and select "pin to start menu", or "pin to taskbar". There is no "pin to desktop" unfortunately (though I don't have stuff all over my desktop anyway - I use the Quick Launch bar....)
  • Timithos
    Timithos
    Soul Shriven
    Ok so this answer finally worked:

Open c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\Launcher

right click Betthesda.net_launcher > Create Shortcut
  • Timithos
    Timithos
    Soul Shriven
    That didn't launch properly ^

I then opened the Start menu, left-click dragged and dropped the small ESO start item off the menu and on to the desktop. That works... for now.
  • Timithos
    Timithos
    Soul Shriven
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »

Or if using win 10, just right-click the launcher executable and select "pin to start menu", or "pin to taskbar". There is no "pin to desktop" unfortunately (though I don't have stuff all over my desktop anyway - I use the Quick Launch bar....)

The first method just created another generic globe icon.

The second method is for PC version without Steam. It doesn't launch if you have Steam.