The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

New duo, clueless

scjohnson243b14_ESO
scjohnson243b14_ESO
Soul Shriven
Good morning all. My wife and I would love to give this game a shot, we played when it first started and only played for about a week. I was hoping to get some suggestions, are there any duo characters that would work well together? Any we should avoid? Are there any servers that are better for new players? We are “older” gamers, we don’t really pvp, it would love to meet other people and play with them(not sure if there is much grouping, etc)
  • Volckodav
    Volckodav
    ✭✭✭
    I would recommend a DK and a Templar, that synergize very well to start with the solo/duo pve/story content of the game to learn how it work.
    Enjoy and have fun :)
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are also only two servers - European and North American.

I think any class could work, depending also on whether you prefer a ranged or melee playstyle. There isn't a whole lot to worry about while levelling.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What platform and region are you?

Lots of grouping happens, finding a decent close knit guild to help you ill make a huge difference
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are there any servers that are better for new players?

There are only two servers, NA and EU, and you should probably pick whichever is better suited to your timezone. :)
  • scjohnson243b14_ESO
    scjohnson243b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Beardimus wrote: »
    What platform and region are you?

Lots of grouping happens, finding a decent close knit guild to help you ill make a huge difference

We will be on North America, and we are on PC
  • Sintao
    Sintao
    ✭✭✭
    @Volckodav has quite a good suggestion regarding DK (Dragon Knight) and Templar.

But you may also like to consider something like Sorcerer (a lot of fun to play) and Templar. Templar make good healers and DPS and you'll find that after level15 you can swap between healing and damage with the click of a key, while in combat.

A Sorcerer / Templar combination will find levelling together a sheer joy.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friend and I both duo a fair amount. I figure group dungeons as a duo is our biggest challenge. We're both more comfortable with magplars and magsorcs and both have one of each. Interestingly, the combo that works the best for us is a pair of magsorcs.

Though they take differing approaches, both sorcs can face tank a boss, heal their partner and deliver decent dps the whole time. AoE dps is a priority as it allows us to focus on the boss and all the adds melt as collateral damage - and stormsorcs are good at AoE.

Both of us are tanky due to surge and empowered ward. Both of us do good lightning dps (especially AoE). Both of us can heal the other. I use dual lightning staves and Matriarch. My partner uses volatile familiar and a resto on back bar.

The trouble with just a duo is you need the whole package but dps is paramount. A full healer magplar is overkill with the buffs/heals and lighter on dps. A main tank puts the entire dps burden on the other character, dramatically lengthening fights.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • scjohnson243b14_ESO
    scjohnson243b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    My friend and I both duo a fair amount. I figure group dungeons as a duo is our biggest challenge. We're both more comfortable with magplars and magsorcs and both have one of each. Interestingly, the combo that works the best for us is a pair of magsorcs.

Though they take differing approaches, both sorcs can face tank a boss, heal their partner and deliver decent dps the whole time. AoE dps is a priority as it allows us to focus on the boss and all the adds melt as collateral damage - and stormsorcs are good at AoE.

Both of us are tanky due to surge and empowered ward. Both of us do good lightning dps (especially AoE). Both of us can heal the other. I use dual lightning staves and Matriarch. My partner uses volatile familiar and a resto on back bar.

The trouble with just a duo is you need the whole package but dps is paramount. A full healer magplar is overkill with the buffs/heals and lighter on dps. A main tank puts the entire dps burden on the other character, dramatically lengthening fights.

Seems like a ton of great information, even if I don’t understand half of it! Google here I come! Thank you all!!

• scjohnson243b14_ESO
    scjohnson243b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Played by myself a while last night while the wife was still downloading. Made a magic sorc, got a healing staff, saw a npc in town figured I would test my healing staff, turns out clicking someone with the staff does NOT heal them... Ouch. Got to level 5. Found some light armor pants. So my basic plan was running around with my Imp, cast lightning strike, then crystal blast till dead. I managed to get my crystal blast “morphed”.

No idea if that’s the right way to play or not, but stuff was dying :)
  • Sintao
    Sintao
    ✭✭✭
    @scjohnson243b14_ESO

You may want to turn ON the 'Prevent Attacking Innocents' option. It is found in Settings > Gameplay :)

And stuff dying is good. Morphed Crystal Blast is one main spammable as a sorc.
  • mojomood
    mojomood
    ✭✭✭
    Played by myself a while last night while the wife was still downloading. Made a magic sorc, got a healing staff, saw a npc in town figured I would test my healing staff, turns out clicking someone with the staff does NOT heal them... Ouch. Got to level 5. Found some light armor pants. So my basic plan was running around with my Imp, cast lightning strike, then crystal blast till dead. I managed to get my crystal blast “morphed”.

No idea if that’s the right way to play or not, but stuff was dying :)

Sounds like you're on the right track. I would go over the guild section of this forum and look for a guild that advertises as "casual". I really benefitted from having a group I could chat and ask questions in game. Casual guilds can be great for that. Also, most guilds have crafters that will craft you some gear for little or nothing. That means that you can equip a set (like Seducer or Julianos) to get extra bonuses. Definitely worth it.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your going after PVE content, story in particular, any duo is going to mow down the mobs. Some mentioned a DK and a Templar, that is good as you could que for group dungeons as a Tank and Healer and never have to wait.

If your PC/NA send me an email in game and I can get you in a good pair of guilds for beginners. @nestor
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"